Grapevine Quote

380 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
Grapvine QOTD

I am the GVR for our group, we have about 1-5 newcomers every week, we have a group subscription to LaVina & Grapevine. After the meeting I ask newcomers if they have a Grapevine... Most, if not returning again
don't know what it is, I hand them one & say you can have a meeting whenever you need or want one...
Just start reading. Our group struggles with getting trusted servants, but I hear it's been that way
for a while. Just extremely grateful I'm sober & have a home group & Love the Grapevine... We are truly
blessed to be here & to have the opportunity to help those yet to arrive at our doors... Thank you!

Anonymous
I like tihk that I am a

I like tihk that I am a important character in the gruop, that my gruop is a elite gruop,that I am a hard worker in the gruop and autside the gruop. When I made the fouth I discovered that I am afraid, I am not a important person, and I am not the best member of the gruop, I am only a member of the gruop, sometimes a poor member. I don´t want look all these circumstances, it´s too hard. when I was drinking wes worse, I am crazy and I am bad person but I think I am the number one.

Anonymous
When I arrive at a group in

When I arrive at a group in Gijon, we were 80 members in the group, six months after there were 25 members and the group continued to operate. Four years later he returned to leave two thirds of the members of the group and the group continued to operate. I have seen many veterans wear medals and merits, themselves and others, to leave and the group continue to operate; sometimes functioning better and others worse. The principles remain but sometimes we have tried to destroy them, even though the principles are to us. Sure human beings come and go, but principles go on and on. We are going to disappear, but the principles of AA are going to continue, as the group continued after all the atrocities we have committed.

Anonymous
My dream was to be an

My dream was to be an important character, spend a lot of money and have a woman on each side. My reality is that I am a laborer in a factory with sporadic employment, earn enough money to make a living and I am without a partner. If I do not accept my reality I have serious problems with myself and people around me. I can accept my reality as it is and be calm and happy, but if I forget and I intend to fulfill my dream again is when it will appear again my frustration, my discussions with colleagues, neighbors and family.

Anonymous
Use to annonce AAGrapevine meetings

Use the daily quotes to announce the AA Grapevine meetings , with flyers with a daily quote to tell when and where we have weekly grapevine meetings . Thanks

Anonymous
QUOTES

I LIKE GETTING THESE QUOTES. IT'S A GOOD WAY TO START THE DAY. I LOVE BILL'S WRITINGS AND GET ALOT OUT OF THEM AND I CAN LEARN FROM THEM.

Anonymous
"Seasons of Real Joy"

Liked the quote of the day. How can I receive a copy of the article referenced, "Seasons of Real Joy."?

Anonymous
Hanging in there

I've been sober for approx. 2 months. Even though my thinking is more clear now, I have trouble in finding my purpose in life. It gets me down some days. I do go to meetings, but I feel the meetings aren't helping me. I pray every day. I have to keep busy, otherwise I feel sad and lonely.

Anonymous
... hangin' in there !

... yup, more power to ya, my friend ! you have touched upon some useful tools, as well. prayer, keeping busy so as to not dwell on where you were two months ago ! meetings, tho you feel they do not help - they may be, tho ! useful tools, my friend. the well worn statement of 90 in 90 - to me, only means - give the sober time - time. just reflect on where you came from. i thank "god" th@ your obsession to continue to drink is ... gone. even if you think back to one month ago, you may sense some positive change ! to me, your willingness to pray is very very positive. we do not need to know who or what god is: we only need to be willing. keep on keepin' on, after all, what sane (other) choice is there ? 'nough said. see ya 'round the campfire !

Anonymous
RE: Hanging in there.

So hang in there and refuse to give the body what the
body and the mind want. Stay busy. Try to help someone
else. I feel the best way to help someone else is to
encourage them to share about themselves and then LISTEN
TO THEM. Listen at meetings. There is usually someone
there who is suffering. It may be someone new or someone
not so new.
And when this miracle of recovery happens and you are
set free, remember what was helpful to you. Share that
happening (and it will happen if you do not stop going
to meetings) with alcoholics with whom you are in contact.
Follow that path and you will not fail. And someday, at
a time of your own choosing, you may want to look at the
twelve steps. It sounds like you have already completed
one, two and three. Don't let anyone cram them down
your throat. They will only choke you. You can "stay busy"
praying for others. We need all the help we can get. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Re: Hanging in

Almost everyone with alcoholism dies either from it or at least with it. Prisons are running over with inmates who earned their ticket there drinking. For two months you haven’t been one of them. Perhaps what you are doing is working better than you think.

Anonymous
Sacrifice? what's that? Our

Sacrifice? what's that? Our sacrifice, for years, was that you will provide to the hat, didservices and you bought literature. We presumed to be an elite group. Then we missed that people do not share, that would not have servers and contributions to be small hat.

Anonymous
For many years we did not

For many years we did not want to know anything about the people that fell, drank outside the group, or took a long time to stop drinking, nor wanted to know beggars, also people of other social class than ours, of homosexuals, of transvestites, sometimes also of women. We looked bad to those who criticized the program, when we also critiqued the steps and traditions, but could argue critics. We looked bad people who did not services, to which the expenses were charged as servers, in Spain is generally frowned on talking about money. We criticized harshly those who left the group, or came with little regularity, which contributed some money to the hat.
It took many years and much work to change these attitudes, people did not understand that AA was not a job, it is not mandatory to come to the group or be on the premises at the time and leave when I say. We are not one to impose on others you my opinions, if these were useful I not been a drunk seven years of my life. We are nothing to control others, and seek explanations from others. And it was much harder to accept everyone, me in my classism, considered in a different category. Yet we often such attitudes, but we are on track to achieve this.
Fran S, Gijon.

Anonymous
re: for many years

Beautiful message, beautiful country. Hope we can return some day.

Gary from the middle of the USA.

Anonymous
sober holiday

my name is Sam and I am an alcoholic. My father was a heavy drinker and my mother was an alcoholic. My father drove me to meetings when I lost my license. When I was 4 years sober, he asked me if I wanted a glass of an alcoholic beverage. My father's way was to drink alcohol. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Drinking alcohol no longer works for me. I feel that my father was unable to tolerate my sobriety. Drinking to excess was a family tradition. I am grateful to abstain from all contact with my relatives just for today. I had a Happy Sober Easter holiday yesterday thanks to AA. I am grateful to be sober one day at a time. Thank you for letting me share, Samuel

collkenn
tyrant alcohol

Bingo on Bills words once again.
Even sober alchies with thousands of sober miles under their belt don't get it often.Even after 19 or 30 years of total sobriety. "Just a couple,just this once. For sure" even then,will blast the tyrant disease wide open again.
Me and thousands of others fell for it,and were lucky if we got back to die sober. Been there.Done that.Lucked out fool ..c.k. Me.

Anonymous
“Personal glorification,

“Personal glorification, overweening pride, consuming ambition, exhibitionism, intolerant smugness, money or power madness, refusal to admit mistakes and learn from them, self-satisfaction, lazy complacency – these and many more are the garden variety of ills which so often beset movements as well as individuals.”
AA Co-Founder, Bill W., August 1945
The Language of the Heart
All these defects I have had as a person, and as I have conveyed the character fan group. When did the services that I always wanted to applaud and I recognize my good work, despite being a mediocre server. As someone in the group wanted to be the leader and guide of the group. I was very pleased with the service he had done, although he had done quite poorly three services. I did not feel that I was wrong and it bothered me greatly to be told it was wrong what he did.
As a group we had all these defects, which I found a good place to keep having all these defects. To meet all these defects that I liked, I got lazy in the program that made me continue and recrease with these. For many years the pride of the group prevented us from seeing that we failed. And why people did not stay, people did not stay why he was not prepared to stay or why he would not stop drinking. Since I wanted to be the leader of the group do not let others do services, or impose upon others the obligation to make the services I wanted them to do, which caused people to decide not to services or as to form other groups. What prevents the growth of AA in Spain.
Fran S Gijon.

Anonymous
Grapevine Quote of the day, March 27, 2013

" I have discovered a new way to learn-by shutting my mouth and listening...it is not so much what I am doing as what I am not doing. I am not talking. So I'm open; I'm teachable" My sponsor keeps telling me to "share" to talk at the meetings, but I get a lot more out of the meetings by not talking and listening to what others have to say. I am the student and they are my teachers. Sober 93 days today

Anonymous
GV Quote

"I am the student and they are my teachers. Sober 93 days today".

NOPE.

"WE" first word of the first step. I need to be reminded of what its like to be sober 93 days so I don't go back there after 33 years.

Talk or don't talk, up to you, but that's the deal. Hang in there.

Anonymous
Spiritual growth

For a long time I used to think why is "that" person here. They still had everything, ,the car the house the wife........then I realised what they had not. No peace of mind, no self belief no hope. Then I understood that this illness has no respect.....

Anonymous
For years we have tried to

For years we have tried to govern the most important facets of the members. We have imposed the group a huge number of rules, controlling as it ought to serve coffee. All group members disclose to us so many rules, in many cases unnecessary, incumpliendolas almost all from the time be approved.
Many members realized, based on deception, we can not, must not, control the lives of others. After many years we realized that all we can do is share our experience and that this can serve as a guide.
In the group we realized that the rules should be the minimum in order to make the group's activities. A huge amount of rules and unnecessary, may hinder or impede the functioning of the group.
Fran S.

ax015499
Pausing one or two seconds

I awoke at 5:00am and got up to write some stuff about recognizing why I'm fighting with my boyfriend so much. A lot of it seems to be my mouth exploding into action before my heart has responded to what he is really saying. I had just singed off to get some sleep, and checked the email. The grapevine quote of the day just arrived, complete with my hp's advice on this exact subject. Thanks.

Anonymous
continuing to learn

As a 31 year sober member of AA and a 62 year old male,my experience tells me
better than any other learning tool that,if I remember what not only saved my life,
but gave me a life worth living,that continuing to practice these principles in
all my affairs will provide those new to our fellowship and those who may be still
struggling with some of lifes challenges that the program still has the answers to
any problem we might run into. Thanks Ray S

Anonymous
Continuing to learn

At age 74 and 27 years sober (one day at a time), I like to say that we never run out of material with this program. There is always something that comes up reminding me to apply principles of the program.

My sponsor recently helped me understand the term "working the steps." A speaker last summer provoked us with the idea that we don't work the steps, we take them. When asked about this, my sponsor said "We take the steps at least once, we use them for the rest of our lives." What a concept!

Thanks for the reminder Frank; I spent nearly 30 years doing it my way. I pray I will continue learning to use the steps daily and to practice the AA principles in all my affairs. On the road to Minnesota, Nelsie

Anonymous
learned & more 2 learn.And learning more even now again !.

This once intolerant,closed minded,"prejudger" of many things & active alcoholic,has been surgically altered by the steps and traditions and Big Book and Sponsors and many meeting through the years..
She never gave up her love of run-on sentences though.
That above lady who walked through the A.A. doors then; now is fighting for increased open mindedness and tolerance.and improving Her conscious contact with her higher-power.
I'm reviewing for myself, once again, that all human people and churches and other organizations aren't perfect.
It seems all start out with honorable intentions. Yet often lose their initial honorable intent.Like losing focus, dipping into greed,forgetting our empathy towards ones fellows etc.
Negative complaining and no action toward correction is what I did before A.A principles cut into my life.After change happened.Sobriety happened.
# 1 I don't want to just whine and gripe. I see it's mute to do so None of us benefit.I want to figure out further how to be part of solutions, not help carry on the problems by inactions.
#2 I believe now, we are all on one journey to get back to where we started out from.Simple.When I arrived at A.A.'s doors initially this was all a foreign language I hadn't studied yet.
I learned.I relearned.I opened my mind,kept my mouth shut much more and became privileged to keep learning sane healthy stuff instead of dying as I was from my addictions.

c.k. 3/13 Me.

Big change, really big ongoing change.Daily persuance.

Anonymous
we're doing something right ! !

coll.kenn.Me. [ :
YES !we've got 25 things right.Right off the bat.
12 Steps. Twelve Traditions.And unconditional love for new and old and slippers and those that hang in twenty-four hours a day for years in a row some how.
Fantasticallyfabuloucious bunch ,we are.Thank You.A.A.

Anonymous
march 6 gv quote

yes. i understand that & i am willing to do the work on that
srikanth

Anonymous
3/6 ,A.A. isn't...

I need it,I want it,and am going to any length to get it.I got it today.
There is no easier softer way.I tried.It does not exist !
Love to all who came B 4. R here now.And to those who will come.
c.k. Me.

Anonymous
AA is for those who work for it

I like the quote about AA not for those that want it and even not for those that need it, but for those that work for it. I never hear the last part in meetings. All I know is that with 24 years in the Program, I have to work harder in case I forget "how it was".

Anonymous
Sharing Daily Grapevine AA Quote

Share my daily quote with my sponsees to help keep them centered and working the program. It centers me and helps me stay sober in the process. We all then discuss at a later time. Anonymous, Fremont, CA

Anonymous
Willingness and Action

I can tell if I have enough willingness because if I don't there's no action. If I do have willingness the action is sure to follow, no matter how difficult or easy it may turn out to be. If I need to, I ask HP for the willingness to be willing and it's always come to me. I pray for the willingness to let go of another addiction today, so that I can take action to stop it. Willingness is and always has been the key to the door that unlocks faith. Robbie R. 5/22/1981.

Anonymous
Robbie R.

I was moved by this. I came into recovery in 1982 and relapsed after a year and have been sober ever since january 1, 1984. The gift is that my brain was not so damaged that i could function somewhat in the world I have been on disability since 1995 but can still function thanks to being sober and also lead a somewhat happy life.
magdalena

Anonymous
thanks for sharing

ive been to an out patient program as well as a relapse pervention groups and have also worked aa for a year and a half and will be sober from drugs for two years at the end of may and two years of no alcohol in mid july...i havent been to any meetings as of late..

thanks for letting me share

wcfrank
Action

I really enjoy this daily quotation:"Willingness and action"although ,to me,it is redundant.It's an action program-pure and simple.I'm an alcoholic who has a lot of trouble being honest with myself.There are many more of us in AA than we like to admit.So the only way I truly know if I'm willing is if I do it.I was searching for a newcomer one night at a beginner's meeting when I heard a white chipper exclaim:"This isn't for people who want it,it's for people who do it!"I could have kissed that ugly,stinking drunk!....wcfrank

Anonymous
RE: Action

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who
want to stop drinking. (it). A lot of people in and out of
A.A. think that a alcoholic can be seated at a table with
a steps worksheet, given instructions/directions by an
advisor or sponsor and this will get them sober. Billions of dollars
are spent every year on this theory. They are most often
no more successful than no treatment at all.
But when the patient drinks again, they blame the patient,
saying they were just not honest, or any number of excuses.
The obvious truth is that the Program did not work. It
may seem that a few are helped. But those few probably
would have gotten sober without treatment.
You have pointed out another reason for the failure
of today's A.A. We have passed on way too much of the
real responsibility of A.A. to white chippers. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
re re action

Your right. Nothing on this earth will work for a typical alcoholic who doesn’t want to recover from alcoholism. That’s why most alcoholics are doomed to an alcoholic death, jails, or asylums.
What about an alcoholic who has a desire to stop drinking? This alcoholic can be led to the 12 steps of AA and can find a happy, sober life as a result of those 12 actions. This is not my theory, this is a fact from my experience. Every single alcoholic I have met that has a desire to stop drinking and is willing to go to any lengths for sobriety has the willingness to practice AA’s twelve steps and has remained sober. The alcoholics that I have first hand knowledge of who I have seen slip or die from alcoholism over the years may have had a desire to stop drinking, but were unwilling to apply the 12 steps of AA to their lives. Like I said earlier, these are facts from my personal experience in AA over the years, not theory.

Anonymous
When I get to AA nobody asked

When I get to AA nobody asked me my financial situation, work or family. The only question I was asked was if I wanted to stop drinking, all I should do to a newcomer. When I get to AA was no problem that I was a transvestite or was Catholic. I was a member of the group from the moment you arrive and expressed my desire to stop drinking. I do not want to take the opportunity to stop drinking to anyone who wants to stop drinking, even to those who may be troubled, nor took away my chance to recover.
Fran S
Gijon, Spain

Anonymous
Thank you so much for your post

My name is Magdalena. I am a recovering alcoholic addict in San Francisco and I am actually bisexual and involved with Living Sober conference. Also it does not matter how much time you have I am finding out more and more. I have 29 yeara fo sobriety and I still am an alcoholic with a strong alcoholic personality. I am grateful to be in aa.

may god bless your sobriety and mine.
magdalena

Anonymous
binge thinker

Really appreciate this quote.Even better than calling it"brain chatter".We alcoholics torture ourselves into picking up a drink with all kinds of "stinking thinking".I try to ignore "that guy" because "that guy" has done nothing but screw-up my life all my life.I try to use open-mindedness(the most neglected principle in AA).Hey,maybe I'm wrong.

Anonymous
When I get to AA, did not

When I get to AA, did not stop my income, my finances, my studies and my social status. Nobody asked me my religious views, even fewer policies; they only asked if I wanted to stop drinking, all that should the newcomer. I do not want to reject any candidate for membership in Alcoholics Anonymous, and neither did me. After knowing the worst bars in Gijón, I should not get decent and despise the newcomer, surely I did the same thing or worse.
I need the newcomer more than he needs me, but the newcomer would not have new experiences, and new servers, or anyone remind us who we are and where we come from.
Anyone who wants to join an AA group may do so, provided that as a group they have no other affiliation. I do not want to prevent anyone form an AA group actually formed a few years ago two in Gijón, where anyone can come and ask for help to be well received.
Fran S.
Gijón, Spain

Anonymous
Open Mind — Grapevine quote "Shadow of the butterfly net...."

I shared with my group my immediate thought, "An open mind flows both ways. 'Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas...'"
I'm also grateful to be reminded that I am not a butterfly!
Love, Craig

Anonymous
2-28-13 butterfly net

Huh?

wcfrank
butterfly net

The butterfly net refers to the once popular image of men in white coats from the insane asylum chasing down and capturing the lunatic (for his own good).Many of us have said:"They were getting ready to throw a net over me when I came to AA."...When I told my sponsor of the distress from the voices in my head:brain chatter,he told me to ignore those lunatics and focus on the action program.Don't drink,Go to meetings,Read the Big Book(or other literature like the Grapevine),Say your prayers(or meditate),and Talk to your sponsor(or another alcoholic).I never met an alcoholic who could think himself sober.

Anonymous
butterfly net

This is an allusion to men in white coats chasing a lunatic for involuntary hospitalization.We used to say:"They were getting ready to throw a net over me when I came in to AA".In fact,after 20 white chips,I decided I'd try the desperate experiment of putting the 1st.step in my own words.This is what I came up with:"I admit I can't stop drinking and I'm crazy as an outhouse rodent."(To use polite language). Helped me a lot,still helps...wcfrank

Anonymous
How do we get sober?

Honesty-openmind-willingness.

Anonymous
Binge Thinker 26 Feb 13

What if I am still a "binge thinker". How does one work on eliminating that problem? I still feel as though I am a binge thinker. I have a wonderful sponsor with 33 years of sobriety, but this is a topic we have never discussed. I know the problem is out of hand, but I pray on it daily to my high power who is God. Great reading for today.

Anonymous
Very nice!

Just wanted you to know how I enjoyed reading your reply and what a wonderful thing it is, 33 years old. When I see such numbers I'm reminded how sweet life will be the longer I live. God bless and you just made mine with the flavor I enjoy the most.

Anonymous
Binge Thinker

I know for me prayer helps. I had a situation today that bothered me. i talked about it and prayed to have it lifted
magdalena with 20 years

collkenn
Mr. RIGID.........2/16.

Your remarks have haunted my thinking since 2/16/13.( A "good" thing.)
What would Bill and Bob think of us now? Many of us old timers wonder about this often I think.I do..
Briefed up..Both might say that they knew change in all areas of society would happen.Styles,fads,social concerns,politics etc.All human living stuff. Were steps and later a "Big" book.and traditions enough ?
When A.A.was just formed so to speak,remember they worried about members joining the armed forces and surviving/sober/ 4 yrs. with out a meeting? Big,big worry at their time!
I know You already know that
A.A. is not a business like a grocery store or car manufacturer etc./ Inventories / profits etc.
.Success in a.a.I feel is accumulated days of sobriety back to back until we leave this earth.Being lived out by hopeless addicts/alchies, now armed with our 12 step A.A. program and all it entails.
In time all but us truly desperate folks fall by the wayside and disappear.
Everything except A.A. has rules.
A.A.has suggestions we had better follow. Quite a difference.
I think we must not concern ourselves with so called success rates,other meetings or shrinking or staying the same in numbers.Sobriety Is Success. I believe.
I also believe there are no musts or rules what so ever in a.a. and never were.And that it is free but
that we Must pay our own expenses.
we will never be "Safe".Our disease is patient.Hoping we'll pick up one more time and lose the whole ball game.Keep an open honest loving mind dear but unknown brother. c.k. Maine

Anonymous
Mr. Rigid....2/16

What would Bill and Bob think of us now? I believe that
both of our co-founders look down at today's AA in disgust
and despair. Look at them! They have become everything we
vowed to never be. We worked so hard on the traditions and
they have violated them all. Bill warned us about blunders
we might make. He could see some of them developing before
he left us. Most of the warnings are in his Grapevine
writings. We don't even read them. Our AA history is
of vital value, but most AA members have never read the
history book "AA Comes of Age."
Some A.A. members believe that AA has become so
successful that most alcoholics are cured. That is why our membership numbers are stagnant. We are "alive
and well". AA is doing just great. Believe that, and I
will sell you the George Washington Bridge. ANONYMOUS

Post new comment