Grapevine Quote

395 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
trusting friends

Thank you AA for teaching me how to trust my friends and lean on them. I was far too proud and fearful to lean on friends. I thought they would drop me and then laugh at me. What a relief to be able to trust.

pherron030189
Trust

It took months before I trusted anyone in AA even my sponsor, but I too was living in a world of make believe, when I did finally wake up,would you know there was coffee cooking, Thanks to those who came before me....

Anonymous
Trusting Friends

I still see that I have a lot of work to do in friendship. I tend to feel guilt and shame when I need a friend. Those feelings always prevent me from asking for help when I need it most. Even when friends offer to help, I have a terrible time accepting their help. I don't know if it's ridicule or I feel so guilty or shame that I am not more together than I am. I forget that we are all human and we don't have to do this by ourselves. I'll likely struggle the rest of my life with asking for help.

Anonymous
If you don't ask for help -

If you don't ask for help - you will remain lost...You are not alone = so many suffer with this same problem...When you seek help, do so from the right people..AA is a great support...You will make good friends and receive lots of encouragement...I was afraid also at first and ashamed to ask for help.I did...and not only did I get it, I also got my self-esteem back...It's been 10 years now and I never want to go BACK !!! Good luck to you, you can do it !

Anonymous
walls and bridges

Here is my two bridge theory of friendship: Rather than building a bridge to meet a friend in the middle, each friend builds a bridge all the way to the other.

Anonymous
June 20 quote

When we give without strings of any kind we actually are helping our physical health. Our cells thrive when we are giving.

Anonymous
Thank you

I am grateful to have this as a new source of knowledge!

Anonymous
giving- jstarbass

In the beginning of my recovery, i heard people say that "THE ONLY LOVE WE CAN KEEP IS THE LOVE THAT WE GIVE"

Anonymous
love

I first had to love myself and learn how to keep the love for myself.

Anonymous
boundies are not walls...

boundies are not walls...

Anonymous
Walls vs. Bridges

Man do I identify with this; not sure when I began protecting myself and clearly need to identify what I'm afraid of!

Anonymous
Building Walls instead of bridges:

This is so true and for a lot of people they get to AA with so many layers of walls inter tangled with truth and lies. It's hard to know which walls to start taking down.The first bridge must be to our higher power after we have admitted we have a problem with alcohol and that our life is unmanagible. Then come to believe a power greater than ourself can restore us to sanity. Then let go and let God and see how the bridges start to be built. This AA thing didn't just happen by accident. It's a fine oiled machine. I love it when AA starts changing lives for the better. I'm proud to be a member of AA...and I still build walls for a short time! Then let God help me build a shinny new bridge.

Anonymous
June 18 & 19 Quote of the Day

Recently someone very close to me did something that was very hurtful; deeply, severely painful. The June 18 quote about being responsible for my own peace and serenity gave me strength to lovingly articulate how I was hurt. Instead of drinking massive quantities of alcohol to mask the pain and feed the self-pity, I shared my feelings. This person was very sorry, sincerely apologized, and the wall of self-preservation is melting away. We are on our way to re-building a bridge of trust. I am hopeful and do not feel alone! (June 19 quote!) Thank you, AA, for giving me sobriety, and a life I never thought possible!

Anonymous
RESPONSIBILITY-JSTARBASS

THE ABILITY TO RESPOND DEPENDS ON ME GETTING FEAR OUT OF THE WAY. HIGHER POWER!

Anonymous
June 17 Quote of the Day

Practising principles before personalities is essential in our fellowship and really hard when personal calamity is evident in our life but oh boy when evidenced it's a great feeling for all concerned - the member and all those around - truly inspirational - no wonder it's covered in both Step 12 and Tradition 12!!!

Anonymous
LORD, I sure do Thank-you !!

LORD, I sure do Thank-you !!

bbraman
Unity

I am responsible as a member in good standing to see that AA gets the best leadership to guide us into the future. That is equally true weither the leader is myself, some one I like and approve of, or some one I don't necessarily care for. The best fit to lead need to guarantee our survival into the future for our children, grandchildren and untold great great grandchildren. AA as a whole is much more important that my future and my rewards! What can I contribute, not what can I get out of it. I must give it away to keep it. That was true early on and is all the more true today! Thank God for AA. Let is grow as long as God may need us to serve Him!

bbraman
Unity

I am responsible as a member in good standing to see that the best leadership ever guides us into the future. This is true weither I am to be that responsilbe person, or weither it is someone else that I like or do not realy care for. It is the future of AA for my childern, grandchildern and as of yet unborn great grand children, and not what I get out of it. I must give it away in order to keep it! That was true in the beginning of AA for me, and is all the more true today. The longer we are around, the narrower the broad highway becomes!

Anonymous
June 17th post

I'm reminded of why it is so important to attend book studies, to study the literature, and to attend step studies. This is a WE program. I'll never forget (I was about 4 years sober) calling my sponsor after attending a step study and telling him the first word in the first step is WE. His comment of course was yes it's been that way since the step was created. All of us can learn from book studies no matter how long we've been sober. We are God centered folks but the group (We) helps us stay on a steady course. Bill D. Laguna Niguel, Ca.

Anonymous
does this mean that our

does this mean that our recovery rate will increase to what it was back then???

Anonymous
Recovery Rate

In the decade of the seventies our membership grew from
approximately 300,000 to approximately 900,000. With only
three hundred thousand members, we were able to attract and
hold another six hundred thousand suffering alcoholics in
a ten year period. I am using statistics from GSO.
Today with an army of two million strong, worldwide,
what is our recovery rate? Using estimates from twenty
years ago, our recovery rate for the past two decades
is less than zero. We have fewer members in A.A. today
than our membership in 1992.
To restore our effectiveness to the rate of the 1970s,
we must return to the format of the 1970s. Stop reading
HIW aloud at meetings. Remove tha 24hr book from AA meeting
rooms. Stop all chanting. The Hi Joe! response by the
group is a chant. Again stop all chanting. It makes us look foolish in the eyes of the public. Return to the true
sponsorship role, or eliminate the term "sponsor". It will probably be easier to eliminate it than to reverse it.
Stop sharing by "show of hands". This creates all kinds of
EGO problems. The same is true for today's concept of
Sponsorship. Separate AA from NA. Both fellowships work
best side by side. Joined together, everyone loses.
One of the most important and probably the most difficult
is to separate AA from religion. We must again become a
fellowship. We were never meant to be a Fellowship.
Stop the "hold hands and pray", "ring around the rosy"
closing. Leave the holding hands to the romantics.
Stop praying at meetings. Pray elsewhere on your own time.
These are my observations from over four decades of
being involved in Alcoholics Anonymous.
Our future success will be based on our willingness
to study Dr Silkworth's IDEA and return to that method
of helping the suffering alcoholic. Bill called it a
technique, a gadget. I believe it to be God's gift to
the alcoholic sufferer, and to those who care for us.
ANONYMOUS

jbrucearh
God's success with the willing has not changed.

"Responsibility is a gift; and although we are not obliged to receive it, we will never come to know the peace, assurance, and love of a vital sobriety until we do."

I am very happy to carry my recovery message to all who are willing; it has kept me sober 10061 days in a row. May I suggest, the "recovery rate" you are referring to is a direct result of us doing our 12th step. We are planting a seed, not knowing the outcome. I am not telling you anything you don't know when I say "The results are up to God." I am responsible for telling my recovery message in an attractive way, so as to be of maximum service to those I would help of God's power, love, and this way of life.

However, in addition to our 12th step work there are large numbers that darken our doors, which find the work too hard.
Maybe, they would tell us it's that "God" word they can't take. I’d loved to ask them, why they don't stay.
-Bruce

Anonymous
June 15 quote

I can relate to the washing dishes, in-the-moment quote. The same happens for me when I do dishes and also when I paint the walls in a room. I just say, "Ok, run the roller through the paint pan... not get the excess off... now go over to the wall... start in middle, go up, go down, smooth it out.. start back at beginning." I call it the Zen of painting. I have recalled things that happened 30 years ago, things that would never come to mind if I was doing something else. Great way to work on my 4th step!! LOL

Anonymous
June 15 Grapevine Quote

I am always most satisfied when my head remains where my feet are.

Anonymous
i really needed this today as

i really needed this today as i had left some dishes in the sink after eating a late dinner upon a return from a late meeting and an even later phone call from a fellow member. an opportunity to meditate; oh yeah...god is good.

Anonymous
June 15th quote

I just signed up yesterday to receive the daily grapevine quote. SO grateful that I did. The quote today reminded me to focus on only what is right in front of me. I am currently going through a situation in my life that is causing a load of heartbreak. I can so easily get carried away in my thoughts of grief and pain if I forget to see what is just right before my eyes. I am just so incredibly blessed to have this program in my life. ~~Susan R. Harrisburg, PA

Anonymous

I find that keeping my mind on God and anything but Alcohol is the best for me. I have trained
my self in the art of wood carving is soothing and most relaxing. Italsoo helps with the Xmapresentsts. God bless. Drand for 42 years and have been sober for 9 years 10 mo. Boy is life great.

Anonymous
June 14 quote

Love this quote. Playing the blame game got me nowhere. On the other hand, taking responsibility, difficult as it sometimes is, works. I was at a meeting last week where someone asked, "Is it inherited from your parents?" This quote is the perfect response and I did hear some version of it at that meeting.

Anonymous
june 14th quote

Whow, that was me. Since surrendering to the program this time, I now am responcable and have choises, with the help of my higher power. Love AA.

Anonymous
Grapevine quote: June 15 2012

I used the excuse to drink for 40 years, If you were born into the life I was, if things happen to you that happen to me then you would drink to, besides I was drinking because I wanted to, was easier than I could'nt stop. Surrender was the Key, Stept one.

Anonymous
believe

In practicing prayer and meditation, my latest revelation is the value of conscious believing in a power greater than me, that has in so many ways and continues to do for for me what I can not do for myself. Now, after all these years, I see that I can choose. Didn't know or see or even care before. I guess it was a big help letting go of the can of "i don't care" juice. Or the bottle of F-it syrum. Ha! Hate to say it, but thank you to the system, for pulling me over and arresting me, 4 times!! sheesh! Cunning, baffling and powerful. May I continue to practice with a vengence, willing to try, to want more, more than just ok, so I never chose misery, like the misery I used to know with my friend/foe alcohol. MD

Anonymous
6-14-12 Grapevine Quote response

Today's
quote reminds me that i am not a victim. i have a choice,i have a say on how i am going to react today higher powered or lower powered. i can let go of untrue negative thinking etc. and let the light of truth, love, God, and A.A. in my life a day at a time!

Anonymous
6-14-12 Grapevine Quote response

Today's
quote reminds me that i am not a victim. i have a choice,i have a say on how i am going to react today higher powered or lower powered. i can let go of untrue negative thinking etc. and let the light of truth, love, God, and A.A. in my life a day at a time!

Anonymous
June 14 Quote of the Day

When I was drinking, I blamed people, places, and things for my problems. After all, I could find plenty of sources that said it was all my parent's fault. In sobriety, it has been a very difficult, very painful, and spectacularly freeing experience to learn that I can be responsible for my own behavior today.

Anonymous
Quote of the day

I love this quote, first time I have heard it. I really did have some "issues" that had me trapped in behavior I didn't understand and had to keep repeating. By getting sober and working the 12 steps I have had some very effective, short-term therapy that had made a huge difference in my life. It was not possible until I could get honest with myself and build a relationship with a Higher Power. So many, many blessings in sobriety.

Anonymous
today's quote - June 13

I love this message - one of my favourites, and a very good reminder of how I need to trim my attitude with acceptance and humility. Just one thing bothers me: I wish Bill had used the word 'task' instead of 'problem'. I feel the message is about the solution, not the problem. Just semantics, I guess. God bless you all.

Anonymous
June 13 Quote of the day

This Bill W. quote is one of my absolute favorites. I keep a copy of it ao use in one of the books I read daily. How amazing that I signed up for Quote of the Day yesterday and this is the first one I receive. Awesome!

cjb10350
Acceptance

Love this quote. So true too. I used to bitch and moan about this, that, and the other thing. Now I don't - I focus on those things that I can change (which really aren't that many) - like working on myself.

Chris

Anonymous
GrapeVine quote

Yes indeed. "Keep it simple".

Anonymous
Anonumous

For many years I wanted the aprovetion of the people. when I met AA I usually looked for the aprovation of the people when I shared and made a service. Now I understand that I made a mistake. I have look for advice and help the newcomer.

Anonymous
Today's quote - "Love is our Glue"

This is a good quote as it always depends on one's perspective. As one who has worked the steps, I can see how this description is applicable. I have become part of the glue. As a newcomer, I would question whether this is the glue for me, or this glue scares me, or I can't handle all this gluey "stuff". So as a beginner, it might be simpler to stick to the basics of Honesty, open-mindedness and willingness and the foundation and let the glue happen all by itself.

Anonymous

Awesome. I used to have road rage before AA now I drive 45 in the right lane and love every minute of it! Thank God for AA!!!!!!

Anonymous
I recieved mine, looked Good!

I recieved mine, looked Good! AAGrapevine is the media outlet to the new generation of AA's. Let's support it.

Anonymous
AAGrapevine support.....

Yes I do support it for ALL generations...it's a great daily reminder of things we work at everyday along with the things we can work on in the future ! Pam

Anonymous
Looks great on mobile

The new qyuote of the day in e-mail looks great on my iPhone. Yay!

Post new comment