Burning Desire to Share

2042 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
18 months sober

I will be 18 months sober in a couple of day and what I dont understand is why im so Tired, unhappy, no motivation, cry a lot!!! i don't understand why? I have a sponsor, I love my home group and yes have worked all 12 steps! I pray to my HP every day, I do everything that is asked of me and more so can I please get some feed back because I don"t get it...sigh. I sometimes think I need a drink then I go into action, this of course helps get me off of me but I cant bring AA with me every minute of the day. I also have accepted that im poweless over people, places and things,just feel dead inside and I know this is very, very messed up...suggestions are welcomes ..thanks:)

galljc
Talk to your doctor

I'm no expert but I have a theory that as we drink we also are medicating real other issues. Perhaps minor depression or who knows what else. When we sober up and take away our medication we may be left with some other real, undiagnosed issue beyond our known alcoholism. While the steps and meetings are helpful and god can do amazing things, it might be worth discussing what you are experiencing with a doctor just in case there is something else going on. Best of luck. I know as i've gained some sober time i've had to deal with changes in feelings etc but I had a friend who also felt tired and moody but not full depression. His doctor still was able to help.

psanchez
RE 18 months Sober

First and foremost. Congrats on the 18 months. I too am approaching 18 months.

On thing that I learned early on is how to have fun without drinking. I like to go out and do things. I have season tickets for the San Diego Chargers, I like to play poker. I love to play golf. The problem is, like everything else in life I did all of those thing while drinking.

I have sober friends that I do those things with now. It's a blast. I also have friends that drink still. I now see where I was not a normal drinker and some of my friends are. Some are not but it doesn't stop me from going to a football game. I don't have the need to drink. This is an example for some but I don't push my sobriety on others. If they ask questions I answer them.

My life is so much fuller now. I have so much time to do what I should have been doing before. I fill my days with sober fun.

Life is great now. Good luck and keep up Gods work

Anonymous
Congratulations...

On putting a significant amount of time together, and working the steps. I've heard that the best thing about getting sober is that I get to feel everything, and the worst thing about getting sober is that I get to feel everything. In my own experience, seeing people come back to life is amazing...and that includes the times where it doesn't feel so good. The good news is that it passes, and there are always solutions. I've been working up a sweat a couple times a week at the gym, and that is as much a mood changer as I need. Sometimes it's a good book, and sometimes it's traveling to a new meeting.

Anonymous
re: 18months

It will take a while to figure out what to replace that "dead inside" feeling caused by the whole left by your disease. Sponsors are great. certainly call before jumping from a tower. lol. inner reflection, meditation may help you find part of yourself worth improving. good luck.

Anonymous
Sponsor others

Sponsorship gives you the daily opportunity to share your experience strength and hope, admitting you're an alcoholic to your innermost self, and accepting that you cannot do this alone. You need another alcoholic as much as he or she needs you. At least, go to meetings with the hope of greeting a newcomer.

Anonymous
18 months

Something is definitely missing, work the steps again. Trust your sponsor and if you don't trust them find one you can. When I am miserable in sobriety it is usually because of something I am missing or something I missed. Either way I get honest with my sponsor and the truth usually comes out.I trust my sponsor with my life. He believes in god and works an honest program. He helps me get connected with the program, god and life when I am struggling. When I. Am not struggling he is my friend. And he watches me walk with god. When I am alone and feel like crap i find it is my choice.
I am not a doctor, but if you need to see one please do. There are many good ones.

nelsie
The long gray tunnel

Welcome to the club! Two things that helped me to be happy, joyous, and free more often: 1. I need to get centered in my HP each morning and then pray to live according to his will just that day. 2. I printed and posted 4 words from the promises: "Sometimes quickly, sometimes SLOWLY!" I need to trust in God's ways and time; I can't schedule my recovery.

Anonymous
dry drunk

you sound like you need tradition three "the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking."

It sounds like eventhough you are "dry" in AA you are not happy. You do not have to be happy about your sobreity-you just have to go to AA meetings and do not drink inbetween.
It may take some time for you to get over drinking.

Go and find a therapist and have him/her take you thru those golden steps. Sponsors are sick alcoholics like the rest of us and sometimes are not available. If you are an adult child of an alcoholic who has found yourself to be an alcohol in recovery then that could be a reason for lots of depression.

Try getting into service and make more Big Book and twelve and twelve AA meetings. Do not isolate and do not try to spend your way into happiness.

A dry drunk is when we are not happy; grouchy, brainstormy, restless, irratable, geographic, retail therapy, still in a lot of anxiety and fear, still feeling terrorized...

You need steps 4,5,6,7.

Steps eight and nine require a consultation before making a list.

Remember, it was not your decision to keep drinking. Alcohol has you even when you are not drinking; defects of character-all of the dry drunk symptoms you described---negative feelings and apathy.

Remember you can only fix yourself with AA meetings.

A dry drunk is no fun and can be very dangerous, get help now...do not procrastinate get help with these steps.

HP Bless.

Anonymous
RE: 18 months sober

Bill W. suffered from depression. The most important
thing he did was NOT DRINK. Alcohol may have offered a
solution at some time in the past. I used it many times
because I felt so dead inside. If you made it here,
there is one guarantee: There is nothing so bad that
drinking won't make worse.
Have you had a thorough physical? There could be
a medical cause for your low feeling. I went for several
medical exams, actually hoping at least find something I could blame for my depression.
At that time the doctors said that my test results and
numbers were better than their own.
I realized that I was living in a situation where I
was just miserable. I moved out into a room at a rundown
hotel at $15.00 a week. (it was a long time ago). I continued to go to meetings, and did another more
thorough fourth step and a fifth step. The steps were
far from perfect, but they helped me out of the
dark pit. I have had depression occasionally in the
last 40 years but never returned to that pit. I have
been offered anti-depressants by my doctors, but
never accepted anything on that route. I know some
members who have benefited from medications. I know
some alcoholics who have been further harmed by
medications. So use extreme caution with medications.
It took me a long time to get "it". If you are
looking for the "joy of living", I believe we can have
a lot sometimes, and sometimes a little.
If you need to make changes, pray for the courage
to make them. If situations cannot possibly be changed,
pray for serenity to accept them. Ask for the wisdom
to know the difference.
Investigate some new meetings. Read some of A.A.
history. All of these things have helped me to stay
reasonably happy. I hope to be profoundly happy with
Him in the next life. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
18 month sober

I go to 3 or 4 different AA meetings aweek and I get something from all of them. I meet a lot of neat people that have amazing stories to tell. To me I don't believe in using medication other than aspern for achies and pains that come up now and then. The only thing that alcohol does is it makes you more depressed so search out different AA meetings and get to know others and share your stories it helps to talk about it. Say a prayer to you higher being and keep the faith. Good luck

Anonymous
18 months sober

6 years today! The book says working with another alcoholic works when nothing else seems to and there have been many times I turned to this solution. When there is a newcomer I always try and introduce myself. When it's same-sex I give my number but most importantly get theirs. Many times I am surprised at how little attention is paid to newcomers when we've all been there; scared, bewildered with this AA thing and trying to make sense of how it will help. I follow up when I get a number, see how they're doing, answer questions about meetings or whatever and invite the to meetings I attend (I live in a city so there is a lot of meetings of all different types) Offering myself as a temporary sponsor has been a wonderful experience. Many times they don't stick with AA but other times where it has turned into sponsorship or has helped lead them to someone they want to work with really keeps that spiritual awakening alive and growing.
My first year was so focused on staying sober and learning about AA, the second year seemed a little strange because the focus shifts to becoming more aware and putting it to work in my day to day life.

Anonymous
18 months sober

The whole journey of not drinking when your craving it will drive you crazy. Make sure that you are doing this for you. Groups are great help but don't forget about your family they can be great support as well. When I got my DUII I felt like I let everyone down and the first to help me out was family and close friends. I go to 3 to 5 different AA meetings and I get something out of each meeting. That may help you out as well. I have made a lot of different friends and I have learned a lot on my journey. I don't know if any of this helps but remember that you are not out there alone and God loves you. Hang in there and I will say a paryer for you. Good luck.

Anonymous
gratitude

hi, my name is eddie p from the bronx, N.Y.- I could never ever repay what *AA* has given me ! I have almost 4yrs sober, my life has got"in better. Not perfect, but i"m not getting drunk everyday watching the world go by. I have real friends now ( 99% in *AA*)have a hp, and slowly getting my family back. I"m so blessed , got to remember that( have a built in forgetter )I"am eternaly grateful for this program. Living life on life"s terms. Eddie p.- bronx, n.y.

Anonymous
being grateful

I am very grateful for A.A. behind the walls and a.a. grape vine.I got out two weeks ago and it sure is hard out here but i thank my higher power for the hot line and meetings. Everyone that does H&I are life savers, and angels. Thanks

Anonymous
I'm going to a jail tonight...

and I'm grateful when I'm asked to be of service because it keeps me sober and grateful and that helps me to stay out of institutions myself. This is a fellowship that knows no boundaries, and that includes prison walls.

Anonymous
Let Go, Let God

After 30+ years of progressively worse drinking ending with a complete loss of hope, I decided that I needed something, anything that could help me stop drinking. I reached out for AA and got the support and encouragement I needed. I became a person again, perhaps the one my higher power intended me to be. For 2 1/2 years it kept getting better. Then I crashed because I failed AA. One meeting a week, a quick brush with morning readings, no reflection at the end of the day, a lapsed relationship with my sponsor and no relationship with my Higher Power. But lots of confidence! The crash was pretty horrid mentally, physically and spiritually. I went back to AA and was embraced and helped to see where I went wrong. Almost one year later I am re-building one day at a time. What I have this time that I didn't have last time is a strong relationship with my higher power on a daily basis. I am deeply engaged in letting go and letting God. I am free from the grip of alcohol today. I am an alcoholic, but I don't need to drink today! Life is truely good indeed!

Anonymous
Starting over

Idont know where to begin after be gone for awhile I hope my God can show me how to do this ,so I can keep coming back to grow and not starting over .

nelsie
Starting over

It takes courage to come back from a slip. I've had plenty of Alanon slips, but if I don't take the first step and mean it, God refunds my misery.

Anonymous
Starting over

Just keep going to meetings.....the miracle Will happen.

VegaO
Relapse

Ahhhh. Geographic move...I fled the country after losing my job and child. I did great for a while, now I am lost in the booze AGAIN! I just can't tell anyone this time. It's not pride as much as how much I will hurt my family that has been so good to me. I HATE this disease. I hate it. Why can it dominate me so much???

Anonymous
Relapse

Dang! It's everywhere you go. I totally understand not wanting to worry people over this, I started a rsponse to you forever ago. I know you hate it I do to. I have almost 11 months. Tonight my fiancee spoke very disrespectfully to me. I used to medicate with alcohol, I used to be weak ,he could use a relapse to say "see, you're weak",or ," I thought you are a Christian" and I'd feel guilty, helpless and worthless and it was easy for him to manipulate. But as you know when you aren't drinking you are also growing coping skills just by giving your brain a chance to function sober. I can count on 1 hand the times I am tempted I ignore the temptation even when I'm hurt and I'm stronger.
It dominates you because it works on your body's blood chemistry. Then you have to grab ahold of yourself, and start back out of that dark tunnel toward the light again. I apologize that I am way sleepy right now. I'll look for your post again because I keep dozing in the middle of a word. May the miracle of sobriety hit you so quickly that you will feel empowered and well away from this trap in desguise of drinking. Bless you, just quit again, and even again until it leaves you alone. Love you so much, that's why I hate it so much. Take care, get and stay strong. Get and stay with the right people. Get busy helping others!!

Anonymous
Relapse

One thing you can't do is run away from the problem you have to take one min, one hour, and one day at a time. One thing you will find is that even if you run the problem will alway excess. AA meeting will only help you by talking with others that are having the same type of issue too. You are not alone. I will say a prayer for you.

Anonymous
Relapse

Everyone gets lost sometimes not just alcoholics. You can admit you are "lost in the booze again". No one is perfect. "we are not saints, but we are Willing to grow along spiritual lines". I think your family will be more hurt when they find out and they will eventually. Go to them tell the truth this is your first step back into a wonderful life. Pick yourself up, and Believe. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless you.

Anonymous
Relapse

Nothing beats a failure but a try. Get back on that horse. Reconnect to your Higher Power. Get back into the steps.. Go to meetings. Get a sponsor. Don't worry about self. God has your back.

qwestgv
Relapse

It dominates us because it is simply bigger and more powerful than us....

Anonymous
Realized that my life depends on it

After another incident of abusing alcohol I swore off drinking, however, I after 2.5 months I abused again last night. Each time I abuse, it gets worse. I get so angry. Usually at the men in my life. I fight and do insane things. My BF wont leave me after all the bad things I have said to him while I was drunk. But, told me today that I can never drink again and he is right. I am not sure if I can have a relationship and work toward sobriety. Is it possible? Any suggestions? We both had breakups and lost our family because of our spouses who cheated on us.

I am not sure if I am depressed, but drinking is not helping, but it is so hard to stay sober at this point in my life at 47 yrs old. I have quit for 9 mos and felt great, but relapsed again. I have to know this time that I can never have any alcohol. I will mourn it since its been a friend to me that turned on me.

I will pray for sobriety. I see others and am in awe that anyone can get through life without getting drunk to calm the nerves of bad feelings.

Anonymous
realized my life depends on it

A wise man asked me one time if a person cuts you off in traific does that piss you off, and does that make you mad? I responded by saying yes. He said that he disagrees with me and the reason why is because everyone has and makes the choice of being mad, that person that cut you off did not make you mad you choose to be made. It makes me step back when I think or say that someone made me mad and think about what he had told me and some how it makes me step back and clam down. Just like the choice to drink step back and ask your self if that's what you really want to do, remember it is a choice. Say a pray when that pops up and I believe that will help you. I will pray for you and your sobriety.

Anonymous
There is help out there

drinking will never help it will only make is worse. you have to feel good about your self before it starts getting better. I went through a divorce and thought it was the end of my world but in reality it was a new begin for me. You will find that friend and family are life savers don't shut them out they can be great help they were for me. The pain will go away and you will see the sunshine again brighter than before. I will say a prayer for you.

qwestgv
We really aren't capable of

We really aren't capable of relations with others of any substance for som time. It is recommended that we not date for a minimum of 1 year after entering into the program. We don't have anything to offer another until at least then and we owe it to our selves and others not to spread sickness.

Anonymous
Love how people

Love how people speak their own reality as their small God is their sponsor.

Anonymous
I also am 47 and know I

I also am 47 and know I cannot drink, but find it not as seemingly easy as many others. I will certainly pray for you too! Try to get to as many meetings as you can. HALT is such a true acronym. Because, when I get hungry,angry,lonely, tired or all of them...that's when I am weakest.

cdrahn
HALT

Youre right. These things will sabotage our efforts if we don't take care of them.

copperback
Sister, There is hope!!

I remember when I thought the same thing you did! I didn't understand how others could function in life with putting alcohol in their body. I didn't know I was going to function without putting alcohol in MY body.

My Higher Power (HP) does miracles. When I FINALLY surrendered to this program of Alcoholics Anonymous, started with a sponsor and taking the steps and going to meetings. I became willing to take suggestions. My outlook on life changed. I just celebrated 6 months of sobriety. That is a miracle.

Depression and Alcoholism go hand in hand. Abstain from alcohol, go to meetings daily, find a sponsor.

Anonymous
getting to my first meeting (back).

Hello, I am 4 days sober and just beginning to feel any better. I am a chronic relapser and am once again embarrassed to go back. I know I will eventually but know sooner is better than later. You know? I don't know if I have a question or not other than how do I make myself go. I'm depressed and want to just stay in bed and hide.

Anonymous
relapse

Keep coming back,It works if you work it.I hear this at every meeting I go to and believe it.I have 57 days sober and the best advice I can give you is never give up,keep trying,keep going to meetings.

Anonymous
Keep Doing Good

This is a free world. I believe that everybody should have a chance to join this fellowship. We are a nonprofit organization. Don't let people push you around okay.

Patricia

Beeville, Texas

Anonymous
put your ego aside

This whole program is an ego shattering program. The thing that keeps you from going to a meeting is the thing that is causing all your problems most likely. You're drinking beats your ego down enough to make you wanna go to a meeting but not enough to make you go. You must start learning how big a role your ego plays in your life and start applying some humility.

Anonymous
Humility and EGO

I agree that my ego and lack of humility are causing
my failure. How do I reduce my own ego? How do I start
applying humility.? Please be as specific as possible.
In all sincerity, Rose

Anonymous
Humility and EGO

You will find humility by working Step One (the first 51 pages of the program of recovery in the Big Book of AA- from the Dr's Opinion thru page 43- preferably with a sponsor or other recovered person in the program). Together with the sponsor and your "openmindedness" you will apply that first step's information to look at "your own lack of control" over booze phycically and mentally. You will see how in your experience you could "not control" the amount you drank nor could you stay stopped! You will see (and hopefully surrender to) the "hopelessness" (failure) of continuing to try and exert your own "control" (EGO). Thus HUMILITY! Once humble, then you may begin to experience some level of "willingness" to try a new way out in AA. You will be on your way to recovery, even with a "little willingness", by continuing through this very simple (but not emotionally easy) program of recovery. Dennis S

clu1992
reduce ego

You cant reduce your own ego. the 12 steps are ego deflating.the only way i know to reduce my ego is the conti
nual effort to practice aa's steps. The reason i have to continually practice the steps is my ego comes back over time, so i continue to reduce it by working the steps.

Anonymous
how are you ?!

It is perfect time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more issues about it!

Anonymous
I had a drink.

I had 18 teen yrs. @ last night I drank 2 an half wine coolers, my girlfriend said I didn"t get drunk. So she said I still have 18 teen yrs. I know I don"t. But I have to tell someone else...

ptanji
I wondered about this too.

I wondered about this too. Last night a person at the meeting who had been sober for 5 years just celebrated her 30 days. She relapsed and restarting the counter, to me, seems to be about total honesty. Who are we fooling by not resetting the sobriety clock. Ourselves!

Anonymous
KEEP COMING BACK

KEEP COMING BACK

Anonymous
been there

mythoughts been there same 2.5 wine coolers and gf. i just never felt right at meetings when i talk untell i did be real and pick up that other 24hr coin feel better now

Anonymous
I told someone else, now I

I told someone else, now I have a day @ week.

Anonymous
young and sober

Well this is my first time coming to this site and i've been sober for 6 months now and i'm 24 years old. alot of people i talk to in meetings say im fortunate for being there. in a way i didn't see that at first but now that i have kept going back i see why i'm so fortunate. i haven't been court ordered or hospitalized i just came in on my own so yeah.

Anonymous
24 at first meeting

I was 24 at my first meeting and when I had my last drink I was 27. I was the youngest in our group and in three weeks I will retire. AA has given me a life and I have run with it and enjoyed it to the fullest. NOw to a new phase of this sober life. I look forward to it because I am sober.

Anonymous
young and sober

that is awesome, i wish i would have never stopped coming when i was ur age. some ppl just take a little more time than others. i have embraced this program with all my soul this time around. i have been sober for 13 months and counting. i am gratefull for all my friends in a.a., and what they have done for me spiritually. keep up the good work and this program is not only about staying sober, it is about life lessons and getting along with ur fellow man. it should be taught in our schools. never stop believing.

Post new comment