Burning Desire to Share

2245 replies [Last post]
hollym
Hey Mike - don't give up hope. Where there's hope there's faith

If you don't have a sponsor find one at your next meeting - and go to one today! And get down on your knees and pray Thy Will Be Done Not Mine. Remember it's One Day at a Time. Yesterday's history Tomorrow's a mystery. Take care

Anonymous
Relapse

In AA for 6 years?? Or Around AA for 6years??
You say you got everything going for you....but still drinking...I guess if your anything like me..give it a little more time and all the "everythings" will be gone...It's a matter of time....slowly but surely it will all be gone..Then you will wonder what the heck happened...
Get yourself to a meeting and share with the group what's going on in your life....if you don't have a sponsor...Get One !!!!! And use him?
Might try to ask your Higher Power for HELP......No big laundry list of thing you want.....Just ask for Help.....
The answer will come from another Alcoholic....
Your in my prayers....

Bill S.

Anonymous
Relapse

physical sobriey is one thing.. and by the way it is a HUGE thing - when I relapsed it took me two years to get back time.. I was lucky.. once I had physical sobriety the real work begins... one day at a time... practicing these principles in all my affairs... doing the suggestions, service, etc. one day at a time
Patricia G

Anonymous
re: relapse

Not sure what "coming to terms with your drinking" means, but if you are having consequences from drinking and cannot stop, then you need help. The only thing that worked for me was coming to AA and following the simple advice not to drink today, get to a meeting to help make it through today, wake up tomorrow and follow the same advice. If I needed more than one meeting to get through a day early on, then I went to more than one, because I desperately wanted to not drink. Today I still go to daily meetings, in part because even though the nearly overwhelming desire for a drink does not occur too often, the daily meetings insure that I have within the last 24 hours been reminded that I am an alcoholic and that a drink would not be a good idea for me, so the thought of a drink will pass. Others I know rely heavily on a sponsor for the reminder, for the attitude checks, for the encouragement.

Anonymous
re: relapse

People like you are the backbone of AA. The sincere desire to help others coming from someone who understands what its like to feel desperate in the need to quit drinking. Thats the way I felt, I was like a trapped animal. I'm so glad to be free, I want to tell everybody.
Your reply to Mike encouraged me. Its really great to see people help each other.
I love the people that I've met in AA, even though I haven't gotten to know anyone very well yet, the spirit to help is truly beautiful.

Anonymous
relapse

i couldn`t imagine living today boucing in and out the rooms for 20 some years. Only with a brief of recovery i substain through trial and error, mostly error

Anonymous
Terminal Uniqueness

"Meetings don't work for everyone" ??????

Why bother getting sober with that attitude! The meetings are not about me. They are about us. It is a we program.
Just keep coming back, it gets better

Anonymous
RE: Terminal Uniqueness

It should be obvious to any observer that AA meetings don't work
for every alcoholic. My question is why any alcoholic could
find us not attractive. Could it be the demands we make to
newcomers? 90 in 90, Get a sponsor, work these steps, listen to us chant louder and louder, and hold hands with
us as we pray. You better find God and find Him now! The basic AA method is to tell others what we did instead of what they must do. A simple program, yes
but how many of us understand it or follow it. AA is never
going to work for every alcoholic, but out of 30 million
alcoholics in the US, surely we can do better than 2 million. We had 2 million members in Alcoholics Anonymous two decades ago. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Principle over personality

I love AA, it has saved my life! The only problem I have with AA is that some members gravitate toward the clique attitude and forget that we need to highlight principals over personalities in all of our affairs. I have seen where this has made others uncomfortable, including myself.

Anonymous
AA cliquish?!

Why of course it is. That is why some folks I know tend to go to different groups, different meetings, keep mixing it up to avoid that, and always try to remain approachable by one and all. This of course runs contrary to the "suggestion" of getting a home group, but of course that is only a suggestion.

Anonymous
AA is not cliquish

The program of AA is not cliquish, but the people might behave like it where you live. The suggestion above is the way
to steer clear of that behavior. We only get out of it what we put into it. No one ever promised any of us a rose garden.
Sobriety is a gift and if we don't appreciate it, we will surely loose it.

Anonymous
RE: AA is not cliquish

AA is not cliquish, but the outside sponsorship system is !!!

samuel3456
scared I will drink

my name is Sam and I am an alcoholic. I have a lady friend in another program who I really love but everytime I get to appreciating her I feel like I'm going to drink. So I tried not talking to her and then she relapsed in that other program. I feel like it's my fault she relapsed because she temporarily lost my support when I wasn't talking to her. Everytime I romantically appreciate someone I become consumed with the feeling I'm going to go drink alcohol. I'm in another program for romantic addictions but I feel like I'm going crazy with so many programs. I feel I cannot turn my back on people who reach out to me for help. I feel I cannot exclude people but I feel so scared about drinking and I don't know what the solution is for this problem. I have been struggling with it for some time.

Anonymous
RE: scared I will drink

Sam it's not the drinking part that's bad - it's the living after part - Learn and live you know where A.A. is - May God be with you. P.S try a Big Book even online

Anonymous
I had help from a sponsor to

I had help from a sponsor to let go of a former relationship when I first got sober. He helped me to stop calling the person, one day at a time. Twenty years later, and there is now much more help than there was then for people who are obsessive about romantic relationships. You might find help from someone in AA who has had this kind of a problem, or you might have to seek outside help. Not everybody has the luxury to "get sober first." Some of us have to work on multiple issues. But at least now I know I can't do it alone. I have to keep seeking help and guidance, both inside and outside AA.

Anonymous
today's TRADITIONS n Where in books/lit or How did they develop?

My name is Chris S (Irmo, SC) n i m an Alcoholic of the serious type. I'm not hear to debate my opinion, just curious if they have a known origination.

Does anyone know where the following modern-day 'traditions' came from (Book/literature) or started?

a) "Take the cotton out of your ears and stuff it in your mouth"

b1)"90 mtgs in 90 days" and b2) "Be quiet and listen during the 1st 90-days"

c) "If you relapse, you do all the steps again"

d) "carrying our Big Book to every meeting"

e) "the most important pages of the Big Book are the 1st 164 pgs.

f) "you can't cross-talk and/or talk to someone directly in the meeting"

THANK you in advance for any thought of where these originated from. I've had my own opinion on each, but my opinion is as good as, well not much..... so remembering not to "contempt prior to investigation" I thought to investigate and haven't come up with an answer.

Chris S, Irmo, SC AA

Anonymous
Traditions

Traditions are the glue which keep AA together. The people who use them must know them...sayings, slogans and repetition without explanation is empty. I have relatively new sobriety, but have learned from traveling around the country, that these traditions and sayings unite all AA members. Chanting, or repeating a saying is based on group, you don't have to do it. Reading How it Works is a good thing, because it lets newcomers know what we are about and reminds the rest of us exactly what we must do to remain sober. As I have been reminded and the book says many times, this is a suggested program of recovery. We strive for Spiritual growth, not Spiritual Perfection. This is my first look at this forum, but I have already gained what I need for today. Those who are disgruntled, lecturing or have all the answers, need to go back to the basics and relook their program. Those who share their strength and hope are doing what is needed to maintain their sobriety and giving the rest of us what we need to maintain ours. For that I am very greatful for this forum and the rooms I attend meetings in.

Platte City, MO Solutions.
Manny Q

Anonymous
How It Works

Manny Q. Are you sure? Is reading How It Works to a newcomer at her/his first meeting a good thing? Ought
we be telling a newcomer (or anyone else): Find God and
find Him NOW, and all the other demands found in chapter
five? There is a special technique, method, gadget which
works for the alcoholic approaching us. It is Dr. Silkworths IDEA. Reading How It Works is the opposite
of this IDEA. Study the history. Think about it.
I don't have to join in the chanting, but I have
to listen to it. I believe the chanting makes AA look
wierd in the eyes of the public. Rose

Anonymous
TRADITIONS??

These little sayings are certainly not traditions. They are
just distortions of what the fellowship was/is meant to be.
I don't see any need for cross-talk or speaking directly to anyone during a meeting. We share our own story or feeling about a topic, without fear of judgement, criticism or any
other comment.
Bill W. wrote "somewhere" that we ought not
underestimate the value of the personal stories. In my
opinion,The Doctors Opinion is the most important reading
in the Big Book. It is not in the "164 pages".
Like many other rituals, and customs these comments
are picked up and carried on by members who think they
are cute. Or perhaps they think they ARE traditions. They have appeared in the past three decades.
Have you looked at our membership growth (or lack of it)
in the past 20 years? Everyone has an opinion. This
is mine: These sayings are harmful to AA. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Traditions?

Quote:Have you looked at our membership growth (or lack of it)in the past 20 years? Everyone has an opinion. This
is mine: These sayings are harmful to AA.Unquote
When I moved to this locality in 1971 our meeting list contained a grand total of 31 meetings in this city and the six surrounding cities in a radius of about forty-five miles.
Our latest meeting list contains roughly three hundred meetings, same cities, same distance. I sometimes wonder where people get their figures showing AA is fading away because of the various customs. Maybe they should start looking at what's right with AA, or else go to another program which meets their wants.
Jim S.

Anonymous
RE: Traditions?

I get my figures, showing that AA is losing, or has already lost most of its effectiveness (fading away), from our General Service Office. I believe we pay considerable money
to come up with numbers. Most AA members either ignore them
or deny that they mean anything. I base my opinion of
"because of various causes" on my own experience of what
I have seen and heard through the years.
Sure, AA did grow through the 70's and 80's. The growth continued until the early 90's, on the momentum of the
first five decades. AA continued its growth until the
dogma and distortions began to take effect. In the eyes
of the general public we appear today as some type of
strange new religious cult. That is because that is just what AA has become, due to the way our AA meetings are conducted. Let me briefly repeat the blunders we have made:
The reading of How It Works at meetings from the podium,
the incessant chanting, the adoption of the 24hr book at
meetings. I have only recently come to understand that
today's concept of sponsor is harmful to AA growth. When
I write about AA growth, this is directly relating to the
still suffering alcoholic and her/his family and friends.
Our negative rate of growth tells me that AA is just not
working. We must pay attention to our membership growth
or lack of it. Other mistakes are the sharing by "show of hands", instead of just going around the room, allowing
each member to share or not to share. When I have to raise my hand in order to say something, it seems I am saying,
"look at me! I have something special to offer. The "Hold
Hands and Pray closing, in the ring around the rosy circle
was another blunder. I personally find holding hands with
strangers uncomfortable, and no longer participate in this
ritual.
Why would I look for "another program"? The fellowship
of Alcoholics Anonymous sufficiently meets my needs. I
am concerned for the future generations of still suffering
men and women who so desperately need our help. Alcoholics
Anonymous in its true form offers a solution.
"I've got mine", as I have heard some members say. "When
they are ready they will join us".
The TWELVE STEP PROGRAM. which is the AA of today, barely
resembles the fellowship of men and women, which AA was
in the 1970's decade. ANONYMOUS

AD010416
Traditions?

Quote: The TWELVE STEP PROGRAM. which is the AA of today, barely resembles the fellowship of men and women, which AA was in the 1970's decade. ANONYMOUS. Unquote
The Twelve Step program of today is exactly what it was when I became an active member of AA in 1971, and the same program given to us by the founders when they wrote the Big Book. "If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it -- then you are ready to take certain steps."
What has changed is the fellowship, not the program. The treatment industry gave us the 'alcoholic and ...' The courts gave us the signature seekers, the internet gave us the 'this is what's wrong with AA' folks.
Those who try to carry the message of recovery through the Twelve Steps program are called "Big Book Thumpers" and ridiculed.
During the seventies that you think were so different I attended meetings in five states and three foreign countries. With few exceptions the meetings I attend today are the same as those I attended then. The major difference is that they are larger and there are more of them available.
Jim S.

Anonymous
ADO10416 Jim S.

Could I ask what the few exceptions are? At the meetings?
The twelve steps are the same. The Big Book has changed four
times, except for the first 164 pages. The Twelve Step Program is still the same. What do you think is the reason
we lost half a million members and continue at practically
no growth? The message is still the same: There is a solution that works for suffering alcoholics. The change
is in the method of presentation. Today we tell everyone
what to do, instead of just sharing what worked for us and STOP. That approach worked when Bill W. shared his story with Dr. Bob. I believe that if we can study and understand that method of approaching new members, we will rarely fail. I believe we fail hundreds of thousands of suffers every year because of our prideful stuborn resistance to investigation of
what really works. STOP READING HOW IT WORKS! STOP ALL
CHANTING! BAN THE 24 HR BOOK FROM MEETINGS. RETURN SPONSORSHIP TO ITS REAL MEANING AND PURPOSE. STOP SHARING
BY "SHOW OF HANDS. STOP THE HOLD HANDS AND PRAY, RING
AROUND THE ROSY CLOSING. These are some of the changes I
have seen at the group level over the past three decades.
These distortions are killing us! ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Celebrating 32 years whats so special about that?

If it is only a day at a time program whats so special about 32 years – Let me tell ya

In November graduated month there were 4 of us who calibrated 32 years and we all knew each other and went to different meetings in different towns Happy birthday Norma, Ernie. Jim and Joe, I am glad our paths crossed -many more

Anonymous
In Warm Humor

Celebrating years of continuous sobriety is a wonderful custom. The white chip, one day and monthly celebrations
are creations of the past three decades. November is gratitude month but even after 32 years none of us ever
graduate. We have the responsibility to keep AA's future
calibrated. Keep smiling! ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Years not months

I have been coming to AA since 1978 and we never celibrated months.I think it risky scince people do relapse more often in the early months of recovery and newcomers and outsiders get the impression that it is OK to relapse or that AA does not work.I know too many people with too many monthly chips. Say 12 three month chips etc. Keep it simple. Acknoledge 90 days and years only as in the begining of AA.

Anonymous
years not months (risky)

We want to help as many alcoholics as possible. By asking if there is anyone new "or just coming back", are we helping
or hurting them? At first glance we appear to be saying
welcome back, but I believe this is one of those times Bill
W. describes: Sometimes the temporary seeming good can be
the deadly enemy of the permanent best. If someone has
relapsed or is new, just simply allow them to share that,
if they choose, when their turn comes to share. I believe
that making a spectacle of anyone at a meeting is harmful
to that person and to AA. Further, I believe that it is
harmful to allow a newcomer to make a spectacle of himself/
herself. We come together in AA as equals. Why do we
continue to share by "show of hands"? In the decade of the
1970's we simply went "around the room". Our AA membership doubled in that decade. Anyone looked at the numbers in the
past two decades. cause and effect, these little things add up. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
re: Acknowledging the newcomers, letting them share

My first meeting was one where the monitor asked if there were any people at the first AA meeting. I raised my hand. Then I was asked my name. My initial thought was, what about anonymity? But I shared my name, first AND last, and was told "just your first name." It was embarrassing. But I was desperate, so I stayed around and heard stories like mine, which suggested I was in the right place. At that meeting, someone got their 30 day coin. That was impossible - no one could go that long without a drink. Another got a 6 month coin -- a lifetime to me. Both of those individuals gave me hope that if a stuck around, I might be able to stay sober. As a footnote, I have not seen either coin recipient in years, and wonder what ever became of them. But the important thing was that their accomplishment to date gave me courage and hope when I needed it.
Our meetings still go around the room, with everyone having an opportunity to share. The only different meetings I have been to,, where the monitor picks people to share, seemed cliquish to me as an outsider. It was important for me early on to feel I was a part of AA, and while my sharing then would probably embarrass me now because of the gap between what I knew and what I thought I knew, it was still vital to verbalize what I was going through. But that is just what my experience has been.

karenmarie
years not months (risky) I have made a spectacle

I have said things I regret. Alcohol plus all the personal issues in my life were so close and raw I was not able to speak calmly. I shared my anger and I did anger others. I have not been able to forgive myself and I don't feel welcome or among friends at meetings. For whatever reason I am still horrified because I have made the same mistakes in AA I have made in my personal life. People do remember the mean words more than the kind ones. /what's done is done!

Anonymous
what's done is done

It's not over until it is over. Steps 8.9 and 10 offer us a reprieve. When I look at the mistakes I have made in AA in the past decades, I grieve. I was often critical of Bill W.
for not accepting the 24 book when it was offerred to AA in
the early 1950's. I believed that Bill didn't want it
approved because it wasn't his own work.
Today with an understanding of the technique, method or
approach given to Bill in the spring of 1935 by Dr. Silkworth, I do understand. Bringing this twice rejected
book to the podium at AA meetings has been a tragic blunder.
I have read HIW at meetings aloud at least a hundred
times. Today, after studying the history left to us by
Bill W. and the others, I understand this also to be a
tragic blunder. This was the approach(method) which did not
work for Bill W. in his first six monthes of what he
later called "violent exertion". It was the advice from
Dr. Silkworth which "straightened him out", Bill later wrote.
In my defense, I was never in favor of the chanting. I
regret not speaking up when chanting began at my groups.
But I just did not want anyone to not like me, so I just
kept quiet and tolerated it. I did not realize how
damaging chanting would later become.
What a price we have paid in human suffering. My
estimate is that we have failed six million alcoholics
plus their friends and families in the past three
decades because of these blunders, and other mistakes
we have made, throughout the AA structure.
Very few AA members read these messages. Many of those
few disagree strongly with me. Please, those who see AA
today as being in trouble, spread the message. All of the
mistakes we have made in AA can be corrected at NO cash
cost. Our pride is what we must sacrifice. Some AA members
will go to the grave in denial. God bless them. After 35
years my head was pulled out of the sand, and I looked
around. I was appalled, mostly at myself. All these
blunders occurred on my "watch". ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
re: Chats are fine, vut....

Hi all,
Chats are fine. We 'get it' where we get it.
There is however something tangible and of the Spirit in seeing the light in the eyes, (sometimes that is insanity, and other times it is the presence of sanity), about hearing the tone of voice, (BS or not), about stating verbally, publicly and directly (in a group) that yes 'I am an Alcoholic' too.
Hearing those things directly has a power that far exceeds the typing. I never could have learned the language of the heart online.

It is repeated direct experience of the people and the meetings week after week, good or bad, that did it for me. that. The keyboard cannot convey all of what is needed, (my opinion and experience).

I endured the smoke, the lies, the bs, the posturing and chest thumping, the occasional fight, slander and more. As a result, I found that part of me that is like them. I really needed that and still do. 'I too have the mind of a chronic alcoholic' took me 7 years of daily meetings to recognize, admit, and verbalize.

I also learned what I do not need and I pray to be relieved of that daily. I have enough insanity of my own. I do not need to get beat up during (or after) the meeting.
Thank you very much.
In service,
fallsoffmotorcycle

Anonymous
chats are fine...

Nothing is better than a meeting. Websites AA is great because when I'm home, and surfing the web, I can always connect with AA, instead of non-AA....I just discovered it...and love it! nickg

Anonymous
intro by members "i'm an alcoholic"

I am going to school to be an AODA councilor and doing research for a paper about optional introductions in AODA counciling programs,and am wondering if any one else out there feels negative about introducing themselves as an alcoholic.Kind of like telling yourself you will ALWAYS fail.This was a stumbling block for me and kept me from openning up.If anyone out there can give me feedback on how they feel on this topic it would help alot.

Anonymous
Stating one's addiction in a meeting

It is hard to say to a group: "my name, alcoholic", but once done a few times, it is no big deal, because it is, after all a meeting of ALCOHOLICS Anonymous - - it is why you are there!
The verbal admission is a first step in admitting your ownership of an addiction that you have no way of controlling without help and support.
Your addiction, when it gets to the point that it does (out of our ability to stop or control) is actually a neurobiological change in our brain tissue, and all the willpower and denial in the world cannot make that damaged tissue spontaneously regenerate. It is like people who are allergic to peanuts: one little bite can kill you.
Your addiction CAN be controlled by following the best parts of the AA program, such as sharing at meetings, taking on service jobs, working the steps with a great sponsor, and strengthening your spiritual life (whether agnostic, atheist, or any other religion, you can tap into the unseen and incomprehensible power of our Universe to find strength and guidance).
To be honest, I find it annoying to have to say my name and my addiction every time I speak, as the meetings in my rural area are small and we all know each other, for the most part.
Lastly, I would rather say my name, and that I am "addicted to alcohol", as we are seeing more and more people with addictions to other substances, and we are all up against the same obstacles, shame, remorse and need for spiritual strength and fellowship. I don't think we should focus on the substance, but on the addiction itself.
Lillian

Anonymous
My name is Joe and I am "addicted to alcohol".

My name is Joe and I am an alcoholic. At last I understand what is wrong with me. There is a name for
it. And in AA I found that I was not alone in my
dilemma. I am an alcoholic. I believe that. I accept that.
Are we going to change that to "I am addicted to drugs,etc?
Alcoholics Anonymous cannot be allowed to become Addicts
Anonymous. But in reality, it has already happened. AA
works at its best by staying with our primary purpose, to
help other alcoholics to find sobriety. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Re: Intro By Members "I'm an Alcoholic"

When a member introduces himself/herself as as an alcoholic I can relate and identify with that person. I can't identify if he identifies himself as, for example, a Capricorn, or a Baptist, or a PHD, nor can I identify with him if he identifies himself as an addict.
During what is probably the first anonymity break by an AA member (before AA had the Traditions) Rollie H. said if someone who didn't play the game gave him tips on how to play baseball he wouldn't pay attention because the person didn't know what he was talking about from experience. I pay attention to someone who says he's an alcoholic because I know he's talking from experience.

ohboy408
introducing yourself

Two things in reply. 1. Bill Wilson NEVER EVER said "My Name Is Bill, and I am an alcoholic" from a podium. I have just about every tape of him speaking. He just starts talking. 2. and are you an alcoholic? you better know. Just remember that your sober life in the meetings will be of no use to you in the counciling field. You have active mental alcoholism, and the the drinking dilemma has been solved. (I am assuming that you have stopped drinking) Really three things. You don't have to share at meetings to be in AA. You can share one-on-one, before and after the meeting. I stopped drinking in 1970, and knew a couple of the first 100, and they never said anything at a meeting, nothing.

AD010416
Re: Introducing Yourself

You wrote,
"Two things in reply. 1. Bill Wilson NEVER EVER said "My Name Is Bill, and I am an alcoholic" from a podium. I have just about every tape of him speaking. He just starts talking."
Have you read "Pass It On"? On page 219, last paragraph, it says, "Another was the way in which members introduced themselves: "My name is Bil W. I'm an alcoholic." Never one to pass up an imaginative or appropriate idea, Bill probably picked up this custom from the early Oxford Group days, when Frank Buchman (who later abandoned such modesty) referred to himself as Frank B."
He NEVER EVER said it?

Anonymous
Re: Introducing Yourself

Someone wrote, "I stopped drinking in 1970, and knew a couple of the first 100, and they never said anything at a meeting, nothing."
I had my last drink in 1971, have been to meetings in five states and three foreign countries and have never been to a meeting where the speaker didn't identify himself/herself as an alcoholic.
The speaker at our meeting last night celebrated 54 years, had met and chatted with Bill W. and began his talk with, "My name is ---- and I'm an alcoholic."
Granted, in the beginning members didn't identify themselves as alcoholics because it wasn't necessary. Today, with courts and treatment centers sending anyone and everyone to AA it's necessary so that we know whether we're listening to an alcoholic.

Anonymous
RE: Re: Introducing Yourself

I believe that by the late 1960's and early part of the 1970's, the stigma of being an alcoholic had become somewhat less. An AA friend who came in in 1968, said there
were some meetings where names were not stated by all members. It was not implied that anyone must give his/her name. No one yelled "WHO ARE YOU? like they do today.
I personally believe there was about a fifteen year period when AA was at its finest. The general public view
of AA was better than its actual character. I believe that
the changes made at the group level in the 1970's and the
early 1980's led to our near collapse in the 1990's.
Those changes have been listed in the old I-SAY forum
and the new I-say forum. The incessant chanting makes us
look foolish in the public view. Other blunders have been
listed over and over. Welcome to the new FORUM. CVHeather
Note:Two articles have been printed in the AAGRAPEVINE about the reading of How it Works at meetings, and Why are we shouting? Of course the rebuttals are also there.

Anonymous
Introducing yourself

It is really comforting to know that there at least three of
us (posters) are still here after forty years. I know I would have been dead decades ago if I had not found AA and
stopped drinking. The pitiful life I would have led if I
had continued to drink, is not a pretty thought.
Bill did not begin his talks with My name is Bill and I
am an alcoholic. That is only in the movies. In 1970 at
meetings we made the statement "My name is Joe and I am an alcoholic". There was no chanting of Hi Joe! I have been
told that chanting began in California and moved east. This
statement was never meant to be a greeting or a salutation.
It is parts of step one and step five, admitting that I am an alcoholic and admitting it to others.
Personally, I think the chanting, which is actually
yelling, hooting and hollering in some meetings is just
plain stupid. The member who shouts the loudest gets
the most attention. The alcoholic EGO is powerful.
Chanting has no place in an AA meeting and is actually
very harmful. It makes us look foolish in the eyes of
the public, and harms the AA member by inflating the
EGO. Some of the mistakes we have made in the past
three decades have been subtle, but this one is obvious. Incessant chanting is
distracting and annoying to many of us. But we are just
too polite to say anything controversial. The price we
have paid for this blunder is human suffering. We push
alcoholics away, newcomers and oldtimers by this ritual.
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
RE: introducing yourself

And the most popular of the gurus get the loudest response.
The chanter seems to be saying: Look at me! I'm here, too.
Hardly EGO deflation at depth. Manny Q.

Anonymous
I am an alcoholic

I believe that I am saying this,as with anything else I do in AA,{amends,5th step etc) for me,not for anyone else. It is a statement that reminds me----- WHO I AM,WHAT I AM and WHERE I BELONG.

Anonymous
I am an alcoholic

When I came back to AA (never understood the program my first time around) the first thing I noticed was that I could say my name..but could not say "and I'm and alcoholic". That was when I realized..I 'did not get the program' before..because I had not even accepted the fact that I WAS an alcoholic. I have 52 days of sobriety and I am grateful for thinking I had to say that statement..it really is optional..remember..every thing in AA..is but only a suggestion.

Anonymous
re i'm an alcoholic.

How about "I'm alcoholic?" To me, saying I'm alcoholic is the same as saying "I have a medical issue."

Saying "I'm an alcoholic" makes it sound like you're still practicing drinking.

Or, "I'm a recovering alcoholic" tells others you are in recovery.

Hope these help.

Anonymous
I am an alcoholic.

I remember the first time I made the statement: My name is
Joe and I am an alcoholic. I was sitting around the table
in a well lighted room, with about thirty men and women.
I describe the feeling I had, in one word. Reverent. The definition of reverence is: a feeling or attitude of deep
respect tinged with awe. I was admitting in the presence of
others that I am an alcoholic. Today I understand that
statement to be part of steps one and five. And no one
chanted Hi Joe! We sat in silence while each member shared
her/his experience strength and hope. Some may think or
say: they must have been a GLUM LOT. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
identifying as an alcoholic

"I have a built in forgetter" as the oldtimers used to say.
My alcoholism is a disease that will kill me. Remembering that is a good thing..as is encouraging others who have the same fatal disease. It IS a disease not a failing.
There is not a day coming when I won't be an alcoholic.
There is not a day coming when it will be safe for me to drink. I identify as an alcoholic at meetings so that I can stay on focus for meetings, so newcomers will see that it isn't the end of the world.
Many mornings when I say my prayers, I remind HP that I am an alcoholic who needs help to stay sober. The day that I say "I am not an alcoholic any more." is the day I am in BIG trouble. May that day never come! I am an alcoholic who can only stay sober one day at a time....and I am sooo grateful that those days recently added up to 22 yrs!

Anonymous
I am an Alcoholic

I find it amusing that at the point where we admit that we are alcoholic and no longer drink, the general public often says You can't be an alcoholic, why, you don't even drink.
Before that time while we are still drinking many others are
aware that we are alcoholics. We say, I am not an alcoholic.
I can stop any time I want to. Personally, I did not really know what an alcoholic was: a person who cannot drink
safely, and cannot "not drink". A strange disease indeed.
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
id alcoholic

nice response, i think whateva works lets not tinker with
I'm on the fence and about to jump back into the program because my tinkering is not doing anybody much good.
I'm not a wheel maker so I will no longer attempt to re-invent one. Here's to sticking with the program and if that included declaring you are an alcoholic so be it. Tanks,Mr. B

wangswhite
organization of comments

Has anyone else out there had difficulty in finding posts on this site due to their not being in chronological order? I have to search and search to find the most recent posts!

Post new comment