Burning Desire to Share

2247 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
id alcoholic

nice response, i think whateva works lets not tinker with
I'm on the fence and about to jump back into the program because my tinkering is not doing anybody much good.
I'm not a wheel maker so I will no longer attempt to re-invent one. Here's to sticking with the program and if that included declaring you are an alcoholic so be it. Tanks,Mr. B

wangswhite
organization of comments

Has anyone else out there had difficulty in finding posts on this site due to their not being in chronological order? I have to search and search to find the most recent posts!

Anonymous
Question to webeditor.

The old I-Say forum had a running total of the number of times the site was opened. Just before it was revised the site was opened more than 700 times every day. Is there a
running total on this new forum? I am basically computer
illerate so maybe I just don't know how to find it. The last total I found on the old site is 1,392.352. I would like to know how many readers we have for I-SAY. Anonomous

webeditor
These numbers are not

These numbers are not available publicly on the website, however, I can tell you that we this Isay section received between 600 and 900 views per month. (It varies within that range from month-to-month.)

The numbers you are referring to in the past were wildly inaccurate because they also counted spiders and other "automated" visitors.

- the editors

webeditor
Organization of Comments

hello,

The comments are in fact ordered chronologically within the different subjects. However, of course, replies are posted beneath the original message and therefore may appear to be out of order.

Cordially,
The Editors

wangswhite
Thanks!

I had asked about this weeks ago, but the answer I rec'd then was not as clear to me as yours. I'll find the site more useful now. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous
re: introducing ourselves

If you read more about the disease concept of alcoholism, starting with "The Doctor's Opinion" in the beginning of "Alcoholics Anonymous," you may gain some insight into why identifying one's self as an "alcoholic," a "drunk," an "addict," or s someone with "a desire not to drink" is no different than a diabetic identifying herself as such. While I do not buy into the disease concept entirely, it does serve as a useful analogy that helps many understand why it would be a bad idea to pick up a drink. I will never fail if I don't pick up the first drink, and for me, identifying myself as an alcoholic reminds me why not to.

Anonymous
new

I am not sure if AA is right for me. I have embarrassed myself and my family and friends while drinking (probably almost once a week). On other days, I have nothing to drink or sometimes 1 or 2 beers. Once I get to that buzzed feeling, I never want to stop and no one can make me but if I stop before being buzzed, I am fine. Do I stop drinking altogether or just try to control it?

Anonymous
Welcome to A.A.

Welcome to A.A. - A.A. works and works good for alcoholics
what a great start to see sit around and watch the circus, won't take long to decide.
A great self discovery program A.A. can be.

Anonymous
Happiness without drinking

For the first time in my life I have found a place that has taught me to be happy without putting something in me(drink or drug)to make me that way.If you are still seeking all it means is that you have't found it yet in AA.It is here in AA.Just look the way we suggest and do not give up.You will find everything you are looking for.I have found it and it is'nt what I thought it would be.It's better!

ohboy408
New

Don't drink. Or putting it in better words for you, give up drinking altogether. I have had talks with non alcoholic people in the drinking business, club owners, etc. It is an "all-or-nothing" thing. I am in AA. I could not choose, my drink date is 01/03/1970.

Anonymous
Boy, Oh, Boy

That is forty two years of continuous sobriety. That is
remarkable. I was given the gift shortly after. Do you recall exactly what AA meetings were like at that time.
Rooms everywhere full of smoke. Old men smoking cigars sitting next to you. I just loved it. I felt like I was
up there with the big boys, one of them. Almost like
sitting on the first bar stools. Seriously what changes
have you seen in AA over the four plus decades? Do you
think that AA has gotten better. I think it was Bernard
Smith who said each generation should leave the fellowship
in better shape than when we found it. Do you think we
have done that? A lot of the messages seem to say that
we have failed that goal. Could you give us your view
from your observation over the years? ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Getting Buzzed

Hi,
My name's Lisa and I'm an alcoholic.
Embarrassing fiends and family weekly, even though you don't want to...Life has become unmanageable

If you are trying to control your drinking and cannot stop once you get a buzz...Powerless over alcohol.

If you read Step One of AA's Twelve Steps,
you may find that you are not alone and there is a solution if you're willing to follow a few suggestion.

Good Luck,
Lisa I.

Anonymous
Where Else?

Where else can you find a group of people that cheers one on as the make it safely out of a burning building they burnt down?

Do you have a burning sensation ?

Anonymous
1 or 2 beers?

Take this strangers advice and STOP! I was (and to a point still am) a "social drinker". I dont want to stop once I get that buzz but if I only drink 1 or 2, I am still thinking, "what a waste". I am an alcoholic who has been struggling with "not being sure AA is right for me" for 25 years. I have been in and out of those doors so many times that sometimes I think I created the term 'revolving door'.
Please do yourself a favor and STOP. It is only going to get worse if you dont. God speed on your decision and may you have a blessed life without the use of alcohol (or any other mood altering vice).

jo.d.c
my experience

stop! thats what I would say. But you proably are asking well how do I do that. Dont worry you dont need all the answers. also what i have found that when I think I have something totally figured out I really dont have it figured out. Take all your skeptisism and doubt and questions and just trust. trust whom? listen to the stories talk to others and follow your heart. I can relate to the feeling of not belonging!! I was going to meeting with lots of country folk and well I am a gay male. Talk about uncomfy. But I went. Eventually I found lamda in houston. trust the process

Anonymous
My Experience.

Hello My name is David and I am a Alcoholic.I have been sober for 5 years now.
One of the many tools l have to stay sober is l rember my pastwhen l was drinking (which wasnt good at all)and the guilt l carried.
I rembered the Hell l inflicted on people all in my Family,my Mother had the Police around every time I was drinking and the Hell l was going through myself,l was on a slippery slope and didnt top until l had assalted my Mother then l stopped and went into Detox and five years down the track Im 5 years sober.
If I have no reason to go near a Drinking Place I stay right away.
Thank You and god Bless.

Anonymous
RE: my experience

Whats great about A.A is that even a bad example can be good.
Things in A.A are not learned there developed and if we hadn't already learned from our past go out and develop it.
It's as simple as, that no human power can relive us and ONLY but for the grace of God there goes my human sponsor.

Anonymous
One suggestion is to stop

One suggestion is to stop drinking entirely for awhile & go to AA meetings; maybe a variety of meetings in your area. You can always go back to drinking later. You might also find people who have had experience similar to yours.

I had an experience similar to yours. At some point it occurred to me that once I reached a certain point in my drinking, I couldn't stop.

Anonymous
Is AA right for you..

It is said that if you are seeking AA, there is a high likelihood that you may have a problem. Nobody but you can determine if you have a problem with Alcohol. For myself, I thought the same things that you do.. I did not lose my job or get DUIs or anything like that but I did feel deep inside that my drinking was unmanageable. I have almost 90 days in the program and I am so happy that I have my AA family. I encourage you to attend a local meeting and find out more about the program and yourself. Thank you for sharing :)

Anonymous
not going to meetings

I've found myself out of place at meetings before when I hear people speak in "we" terms when they are not speaking for me, they don't even know me.

Also, once I tried a group where some really full of himself
guy jabbed me really hard in the back because I wasn't turning around to face him as he very longwindedly described how much he knew about life, AA, and everything in the world. What he didn't know is that I have severe damage to my vertebrae and discs in my neck any I can't twist around like, I was just patiently listening. I went there for help and support but not for anyone to lay a hand on me because their ego required my full attention. Also, at meetings I have to walk through a sea of smokers just to get to the meetings, and the smell of coffee gives me a headache and always has, I must be allergic to it, 'cause everyone likes the smell except me.

I really do need a support group to help me through this, I have tried numerous groups over the years. Why is smoking and drinking coffee so prevalent? Aren't they addictions, too? It's keeping me from being able to partcipate and get the help that I need. I want a healthy lifestyle... period. Not just apart from alcohol but apart from as many carcinogens as possible.

This chatroom is so much better than sitting uncomfortably around strangers, some of them really scary looking people. Some of these posts are written by very insightful people, and I can really appreciate that.

I'm gonna try another group today, this time at a Catholic Church that I've been to several times, maybe they don't allow smoking on the church grounds. I know they have nice handicapped parking for people like me. Maybe this will be the group with more reverence.

I still wish I had told that guy to keep his hands to himself, but I was the newcomer, it was a room full of men, only one other woman and she was in a swimsuit with a cover-up. Not the group that I felt comfortable in at all. A horrible experience, exactly what I didn't need.

Anonymous
Response to "Not going to Meetings."

I have been sober for 14 years now and in the beginning I found everything wrong with every meeting I went to. Not every meeting works for everyone, but I had to realize that something was wrong with my thinking also. My negative attitude was a big part of the problem. I was told to look for the similarities and not the differences and to shop around for other meetings. Eventually I found a Home Group and a place for myself in AA. As I began to heal my thinking, which Alcoholism is a "thinking" disease as well as a "drinking" one, then the smoke, peoples ego, etc. didn't bother me as much.I began to realize I needed AA like I needed air itself. Keep looking around and don't give up because you had a bad experience.AA does have a solution in the steps, a good sponsor is important also. Keep the Faith and keep coming back.

Anonymous
I miss it tooI

I am sober through the grace of God a little over 28 years and I have to admit the quality of sponsorship has declined over the years. In the 80's we could tell who was new simply by their language, the way they dressed, and the general lack of respect and manners. You could see progress when a person began to clean up their language a bit and that they actually showered and dressed for the meeting, or the actually cracked open their wallet and brought their own Big Book or 12 & 12 to the meetings.

My sponsor told me during that first year that since I wasn't drunk anymore it was time that I stopped talking, acting, and dressing like one. Apparently this doesn't happen anymore.

I begin the question the validity of the program when I hear that someone just keyed her boyfriends car - but she didn't drink and she still has 5 years of sobriety! Or a man that looks like I should cross the street to avoid him talks about the 15 years he has.

I believe that we have to change if we are to learn to live a sober life. Behaving badly while stone cold sober is not an improvement for me. I am about living sober. I want peace and serenity in my life and I want to give peace and serenity to those around me.

Good luck to you! Perhaps the person who suggested that you register as a loner has something there - combining AA online with sober correspondence could be just the answer for you.

Anonymous
I dont need a hug!

My name's Mike, I'm an alcoholic.
I've put together many 24 hours. I've watched people force handshakes & hugs on members for years. I want members to know that its ok to hold up a hand & say, STOP, PLEASE DON'T TOUCH ME. I am an athlete. I race on asphalt. When I train, sometimes I'm not wearing the leather suit I race in. My injuries mostly consist of road-rash. Please respect my space. Thanks.

Anonymous
A.A. a simple program

A.A. is not a simple program for complicated people that CANNOT intuitively handle situations that still bother them.

sevebra7
valid point

I have been in sobriety for about 4 years now(do not have that much time sober though) and still do not have a good intuition on helping or even talking to others. I am an only child that is also an isolating alcoholic.
I tend to be the person that scares the newcomer away still. Even in regular conversation I tend to make others feel awkward. I have a better understanding today then I did in the beginning of having regular conversation. Something you think would come naturally right. No I am still learning social intuition.

You know how in the Big Book it says,"We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us."
'Intuitively' is not the correct word here. The word they are looking for is clairvoyance. Intuition is more something that you can learn in school or through trial and error. If you look up clairvoyance in a dictionary you will see that clairvoyance is like seeing the world through Gods eyes and being able to handle every situation in that way. The past will only be seen as a stepping stone for a better future.
This God is what your after...if God exists.

Anonymous
RE: valid point

Intuitive is the correct word if we are talking about God not a sponsor. I had a friend ask after six years around the program when this is going to happen, Being six years sober and still not able to see we are living it surprised me.
I think they had one to many sponsors diverted and incapable of being true to there self's.

Anonymous
Trying to Understand

The ideas of A.A in the A,B,C's, I TOTALLY agree with
The purpose of the Big Book to introduce me to God, I TOTALLY agree
The promise to intuitively handle situations that use to baffle me has happened
I have a tremendous amount of friends I talk with today caring how things are.
The non understanding part seemingly undermining A.A's principles, promises and idea's is
the outside sponsorhip system thing that is not in the Steps nor Traditions or in the 164 pages of the program
The only sense it seems to make is helping one that knows NOTHING of A.A. to it's doors, after that, it seems very very harmful and destructive to both parties involved and opposed to A.A. And the people already here.
I guess loneliness can take a person to some strange place but why be lonely with all these nice people around in A.A? Trying to understand that with God I 'm never alone and around friends I am never lonely and understand it's not about me or you but the message of A.A.– Why all the craze about getting a outside sponsor already her inside? where did it come from if it opposes A.A.'s ideas principles and promises ?

Anonymous
Not going to meetings

Wow! The coffee stinks, the people don't look right, someone might touch me because I don't have a 'hands off' sign, Etc. Etc. Etc.
All very good reasons to stay away from meetings.
I needed help to get and stay sober. One very good reason to go to meetings.
Why not try following the suggestions in the Big Book? And contact LIM as a Homer?

Anonymous
The day I walked into a

The day I walked into a womans mtg after coming back I fell apart at the seams and if it wasn't for the kindness of a hug by many of these woman I may not have stayed.

Anonymous
RE: Not going to meetings

"I needed help to get and stay sober. One very good reason to go to meetings."

If you Go to give and not get - they will all be afraid to even touch you no sign will be needed.

Anonymous
An atheist program

I don't know why AAs have such trouble with atheists. The notion in AA's Big Book - "Why don't you choose your own conception of God?" - is a concept that practically no organized religion would accept (there are a few, but most wouldn't). A lot of the AAs I know don't go to any church or accept any kind of creed. So when AAs say "God," it's like when AAs say "jackpot." It's a word that other people use, but it has a completely different meaning in AA. We talk about God in AA because it's good cover; the truth is that a lot of AAs don't believe in any God other than "their own conception." To me, that's a working definition of an atheist. So lets stop giving atheists such a hard time.

Anonymous
RE: An atheist program

We are all atheists chasing the spirits in Alcohol, In the big book it states the whole purpose of the book is to introduce you to a higher power that can intuitively handle situations that us to baffle us - There are only 3 "PERTINENT" ideas of alcoholics anonymous in the A,B,C's other clubs in and around A.A. have pertine-eer ideas of their own.
Not about who's right
Not about who's wrong
It's about who's left

If an institutional outside sponsorship system works for an atheist so be it - I like A.A. myself

Anonymous
RE An atheist program

I personally do not understand how any organized religion could possibly accept the concept of every person choosing
his or her own conception of God. That is one reason why AA
works so well, and one reason why Bill W. leaves us with a stern warning about trying to start a new religion. This warning is found on page 232 in AA Comes of Age 1957 and on page 345 in Language of the Heart, April 1963 issue of the
AA Grapevine. Bill W. writes: "Speaking for Dr. Bob and
myself I would like to say that there has never been the
slightest intent, on his part or mine, of trying to found a new religious denomination. Dr. Bob held certain religious convictions, and so do I. This is, of course, the personal privilege of every AA member." Bill goes on to write: "Nothing, however, could be so unfortunate for AA's
future as an attempt to incorporate any of our personal
theological views into AA teaching, practice or tradition.
Were Dr. Bob still with us, I am positive he would agree
that we could never be too emphatic in this matter."
I believe that most religions help addicted members
to get well by using their own church beliefs. I have met
several of them. They don't label themselves as alcoholics,
but when they "witness", their stories reveal that they
fit the role. But these methods are very limited.
Alcoholics Anonymous offers any alcoholic a way out of
the alcoholic dilemma. All that is asked of the alcoholic
approaching us is a desire on his part to get well. There
is absolutely no other requirement for full membership in
Alcoholics Anonymous, written, implied or otherwise. No
member's religious beliefs should even/ever be an issue.
We have a technique for helping alcoholics which rarely
fails. As with other special things in life, if we do not
know the proper technique, and are unable or unwilling to learn it, we will seldom get the desired results. The successful approach to reaching a suffering alcoholic was left for us by Bill W. and Dr. Silkworth. It is basically the "cart before the horse idea" offerred to Bill by Dr. Silkworth in the spring of 1935 just prior to Bill's leaving for Akron, Ohio. Bill writes several times in our literature that without this advice, AA could never have been born. In a nutshell, it was this: Stop
preaching to suffering alcoholics. They want to get well
but can't swallow all the God Stuff. Just share your own
story (EXACTLY), what you were like and what happened. STOP
If we study and understand that part of our AA history,
Alcoholics Anonymous can be restored to an acceptable
rate of effectiveness. The success rate for 2010 is just
shameful. Only one group out of four could count ONE new
member for the whole year. (US and Canada) ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Religion in aa

I am early in sobriety and have a question with regards to religion in aa...I think the idea of using "higher power" is creative and allows folks from different religious backgrounds (or none at all) the ability to identify with a "God" of our understanding, however, although I am a Christian, I don't know how appropriate it is to recite "The Lord's Prayer" which is a Christian centered prayer and based on a sermon Christ gave to followers, at the close of meetings. The Serenity Prayer is one thing...God could be Higher Power, Jah, Yahweh, Buddha, etc., but I don't think it's fair to impose that prayer upon others if they are not of that faith. Please share your comments...that's how I'm learning and staying sober one day at a time (90 days on January 1st). Thanks, and I will 'keep coming back."

Anonymous
Introduction

Hi guys & gals, I’m Jack!

I’m new to the forum and just saying hello.

truthiness
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I have 7 years today...woot!!!! How could this have happened??? Oh yeah...It was the program of Alcoholics Anonymous as outlined in the Big Book! :)

justakid
congratulations!

WELL! There you go.It works!
I am still a kid at 15 years.
This program saved my life.
There is no other program equal to Alcoholics Anonymous!

Anonymous
WELL!

WELL! There you go. It works! Thanks for that simple vital
message. Without any conditions such as, "It works if you work it, so work it you're worth it, I die if I don't work it, etc, etc, etc. Alcoholics Anonymous saved my life and made life very much worthwhile. I believe that Alcoholics
Anonymous has no equal yet. Dr. Silkworth and Bill W. left
us with a wonderful gift: A gadget, technique,device, method, which rarely fails the alcoholic who has a desire to get well. I am no longer a kid, but I had 15 years 26
years ago and am still sober and active in AA. Enjoy!!
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Great job. Thank you for

Great job. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous
grateful to be sober today thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous

I am grateful to be sober today thanks to Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm grateful for the 12 steps and that God is showing me how to live today in accordance with his will. I am grateful that I have a God of my understanding. I am grateful to be a student in AA. I am grateful for the AAGrapevine. I am grateful to be a member of AA today. --- grateful member of AA in the United States of America

Anonymous
Grateful to be sober

With that much gratitude, you can be a real asset to our wonderful fellowship. Just don't ever lose it by picking up
the first drink. (a day at a time of course). I am still in awe of what Alcoholics Anonymous has done for me. I have heard that gratitude is an action word. We get sober by
grace and keep it by giving it away. We have struck a mother lode and keep it by mining it for the rest of our lives and giving away the entire product. We must study the history and learn what seems to work and what really works.
The start is understanding that we are a fellowship, not
just another TWELVE STEP PROGRAM. Then we can truly help others. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
It will be two years tomorrow

It will be two years tomorrow morning since i had a drink in my hand. Only about 6 hours to go, it is 2300hrs here in Australia. I am 45 and a single mother of a 2 year old. First child and finally not a drunk anymore. This fellowship and the people within it astound me every other day, but i guess i have come to realise that now the real world starts for me. I only ever bothered with looking through the bottom over a glass or bottle, so i never really got to see this planet the way it is, in all its magnificence and all its sorrow.I nowunderstand there cant be a utopia on the otherside of the beginning of sobriety. The world just is, whether it be pretty at the time or allowing me to find out that my son has been molested... My higher power gives the strength, and AA gives me the tools to deal with that and not get sh#@-faced over it, because that will not be any help to my son at all. There will always be somthing that will come up in the future that doesnt fit with the "rose cloured glasses" set, but i will stand up and be counted as one who is dealing with it sober and with the help of my higher power and my sponsor, my boy and I can enjoy our part of the universe, it can only get better. L. Australia

Anonymous
Congrats to two years

I hope you are doing well with another month on your belt. You are right that it just gets better. I've been visiting Australia for the past month biking around the Cairns area and want to say thanks very much for AA in Australia. It's nice to know that whereever I travel I can meet with people in AA. Keep coming back and let the fellowship grow. There isn't as many meetings as I'm used to, I hope more people join up soon in northern queensland.
Mary B from Canada

Anonymous
acceptance

how do i find more acceptance of my present health conditions beset on me

Anonymous
acceptance of present health, other issues

There are a lot of people in program who have gotten sober only to be diagnosed with serious (sometimes terminal) illness. Some have found others who are going through similar experiences and have found enough support in that to get through whatever the problem is without drinking. But there are other support groups outside AA for other problems, whether it be for people with cancer, chronic pain, whatever. And there are many good (and bad) books available for help with an infinite variety of medical problems. C.S. Lewis wrote several books on how to reconcile his Christian faith with the daily problems in life, one specifically dealing with the problem of pain. And then there is John Donne's "Devotions" (a depressing read). I find the story of Ramakrishna's battle with throat cancer to be inspiring in terms of keeping the faith.

Anonymous
Acceptance

I always find that the surrender that takes place when I talk to my sponsor always brings unexpected results.

Anonymous
acceptance

The way to find acceptance is to take the 12 steps as outlined in the first 164 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Anonymous
Slips

The 'Welcome' page of the October Grapevine starts with the sentence, "Relapse can often be a part of recovery,....."
This psychobabble from some addictologist's book makes about as much sense as "Drinking can often be a part of sobriety." Too bad our meeting in print is getting away from carrying the AA message of recovery and going to the treatment industry message.

Anonymous
Slips / Relapse

No one ever said I had to pick up a drink to have a slip / or relapse.

Post new comment