Heard At Meetings

825 replies [Last post]
anonymous
Big Book Joke!

"We avoid retaliation or argument." (page 67)

TCTaco
Who Is AA For?

AA is not for those that WANT IT. AA is not for those that NEED IT.
AA if for those that DO IT!

Anonymous
Who is AA for?

Alcoholics Anonymous is very much for those who need it.
How many of us really wanted AA when we first came? Most
come in looking for a reason not to stay or come back.
We give them plenty of reasons in today's A.A. Most have
to do with the demands we make of them, such as DO IT!
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Who is AA for

Thank you Anonymous, I agree that people do look for a reason to leave... another reason that the word "honest" was dropped from the preamble... the only requirement for membership is an "honest" desire to stop drinking.

Some have an honest desire to get the law off their back, or family to leave them alone et al.

AA is a program of suggestions.

Anonymous
RE: Who is A.A. for?

A.A. is a program of suggestions. The Big Book, in
its entirety was meant to be suggestive only. The
Twelve steps are but suggestions. Our "problem" is that
we have changed the definition of suggestion. Very
few A.A. members know the true meaning of suggestion.
If the meaning of suggestion can be studied and
understood, we can stop pushing people (suffering
human beings) away from the very help that we have
to offer. Random House College Dictionary (Webster's):
a slight trace; the process of inducing a thought,
sensation, or action in a receptive person without
using persuasion and without giving rise to reflection in the recipient. I take this to mean that if I am talking
to a prospect, I can say: "I used to drink and it
caused me a lot of trouble. I found Alcoholics Anonymous
and have been sober three years. We have a fellowship
that has helped me". When we go any further than this
saying: If you want what I have, you will have to do what
I did, and I will show you how, are you ready, it no longer fits the description of a suggestion. Thanks for your
"Thanks". Your message means more than you will ever
know. Newcomers look for a reason to leave once they are
here. Our reputation as some kind of strange religious
cult prevents many alcoholics from approaching us in the
first place; no scientific study, just my opinion. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
The 12 steps aren't

The 12 steps aren't suggestions they are one suggestion. In six words - Trust God, clean house, help others.

AD010416
Re: Who is AA for?

"If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps." (Big Book, page 58)
"Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery:" (Big Book, page 59"
It does not say "here are suggestions," does it?
"Suggest:
To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk." (American Heritage Dictionary)
"Suggest: To put into one's mind; to bring to one's mind by association of ideas; to imply or seem to imply; to propose.
(Webster's New Dictionary)
My experience with those who play word games in order to avoid taking the steps want what we have but are unwilling to go to any lengths to get it.

Anonymous
ADO10416

I ask you to do one simple thing. Read Page 199 in
As Bill Sees It. Read the articles referenced in
Language of the Heart. I suppose that is two things.
If Bill W. can't make you understand, I will give up
trying.(not really). I have been with others when
the light comes on. It is a wonderful thing to see.
ANONYMOUS

TCTaco
Don't Over Think It

You illustrate my point exactly. We may think that we want it. We may think that we need it. But that is not enough. Thinking never got me anywhere except to the rooms of Alcoholic Anonymous. There I learned to stop thinking and start doing the next right thing.

I do not claim to know what others need. I only know what worked for me.

Most come through the doors of AA looking for help. All I have to offer is my story, and in my story is what worked for me--how I stay sober today.

wealthysoul
Who is AA For?

AA is for those who have a desire to stop drinking. That is the only requirement for membership.

Anonymous
Ego

A big head makes a big target!

Anonymous
Fear

Fear knocked Faith answered & no one was there.

Anonymous
faith eliminates anger and resentment

faith eliminate anger and resentment

Anonymous
interesting comments

Alcoholism is a disease which can wipe the smile from a child's face!

A drunk says to three others, "Well, how are ye FESTERING lads?"

"When I arrived in AA I did not know whether I was animal, plant, or mineral!"

Anonymous
Choice

"I can remain bitter or get better!"

Anonymous
Rebel or recover

My sponsor sat repairing his alarm clock. I was ranting about my dislikes about AA. its books and programme etc. He put up the open palm of his hand like a traffic cop!

He said, "Did you come to my house to rebel or to recover?"

"IF you came to rebel then go home again. Can't you see I am busy repairing my clock!".

On the other hand if you want to recover please stay and tell me that you do want to recover!

"I want to recover!" I said.

"Very good". he said.

He put his clock into a nearby drawer and said, " Well let us begin right now. What is on your mind?"

Anonymous
what is 13 steping?

what is 13 steping?

Greg422
13th Step

The 13th step is stepping into the grave SOBER... No matter what...

Anonymous
what is 13 stepping?

Practicing your 13th step is going to meeting with the primary purpose of picking up helpless women--or men.

Anonymous
A personality without any principles!

My sponsor told me that when he came to AA he was a Personality without any principles. So then as he practised the Principles of AA and he developed a sober personality. One day at a time.

Anonymous
basically using the 12 step

basically using the 12 step program to get into a vulnerable newcomers pants

LAS24
13th.stepping

This.term usually.means taking advantage.of.a.newcomer-romantically or.sexually. This.behavior.is.generally.frowned.upon.as.it typically.will lead.to slips and.or.resentments. We need to be careful.we don't.end up on either end of the situation.

Anonymous
having a relationship in

having a relationship in early recovery or with another member of AA

Anonymous
13 stepping

It is preying on newcomers of the opposite sex while they are vulnerable and attempting to get their bearings in AA.

Anonymous
13 stepping

It is preying on both opposite AND same sex while vulnerable and new. Takes at least a year or two to get AA 12 steps and way of life into practice.

Anonymous
ABUSE. There is no other way

ABUSE. There is no other way to describe someone that uses the program for selfcentered pleasure than the word ABUSE. And it is the GROUP RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that it never happens -- at least not without consequences.

Anonymous
13 stepping

13 stepping is when a recovering alcohol with years in the program decides to pursue a relationship with someone is early recovery. It is unhealthy for both the newcomer and the oldtimer.

Anonymous
13th Stepping

I don't believe anyone who is truly "in the program" for years should still be recovering. Our book calls the alcoholic that practices these principles in all thier affairs,one who has had a spiritual awakining as a result of these steps as recovered! Remember,I didn't say cured.
A recovered alcoholic would never pursue a newcomer,we don't do that...ever! Only a preditor, that is using AA to take advantage of a newcomers vulnerability would....this is sick behavior and could severly damage or even kill someone!!

Anonymous
RE: 13th stepping (recovered, recovering)

In my opinion some A.A. members are recovered and
some are recovering. Some have had the desire to drink
removed. Some have to work a little or a lot harder
to hold on to their sobriety.
It is fairly easy to "not drink" when there is no desire to drink. Not taking that drink when the desire
to drink is present, is a real accomplishment. Not every
A.A. member is blessed with an instant, total release,
not even our co-founder Dr Bob.
I see recovered and recovered A.A. members who fit
my understanding of predator. And some who have long
time sobriety. Yes they do cause severe damage and
I am sure some have caused death of alcoholics who have come to us for help. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
13 stepping

The taking advantage of a new female member by an older male member.

treymc
13 stepping

Or vice versa. Or same on same. It's somebody who does know better trying to get into a relationship with somebody who's new enough to not know better.

-Trey M

treymc
13 stepping

Or vice versa. Or same on same. It's somebody who does know better trying to get into a relationship with somebody who's new enough to not know better.

-Trey M

Anonymous
relationships

OH MY, then why so many AA members marrying other members or living in the same household. We should have a real headcount.

bader
2 things an alcoholic doesn't like

There are only two things that an alcoholic doesn't like -- change and the way things are.

Classic!!

Anonymous
2 things an alcoholic doesn't like!

Terrific comment!

Anonymous

The very definition of misery.

There are only two things that an alcoholic doesn't like -- change and the way things are.

Anonymous

The very definition of misery.

Solutions
Your AA life

Don't let the life AA has restored you to get in the way of your AA life.
The first thing you put in front of your sobrity is the second thing you'll lose.

anonymous
I'm only here because I'm not all there

A good one for me to remember.

Anonymous
expectations

expectations are pre-meditated resentments

Anonymous
Missing what is obvious!

How can you expect to think yourself out of something that you have BEHAVED yourself into?

Anonymous
Heard and seen at meetings.

I saw this written at a meeting. "EMBRACE THE SIMILARITIES. LOVE THE DIFFERENCES IN ALL OUR AFFAIRS."

I heard at AA, "THE BEST WAY TO GET EVEN WITH SOMEONE IS TO PRAY OR THEM!

Solutions
Growth

After a detailed 4th & 5th step my sponsor calmly said:
"With everything that has happened to you, you can either feel sorry for yourself or treat what has happened as a gift. EVERYTHING is either an opportunity to grow or an obstacle to keep you from growing. You get to chose."

anonymous
A.A. = Altered Attitudes

I have heard this at meetings many times. The following one is very helpful to me when angry or resentful:

"Nothing pays greater dividends than restraint of tongue and pen."

Nowadays I think it would be good to update this now and then to:

"Nothing pays greater dividends than restraint of tongue and text."

Anonymous
vision

life is lived forward but it's best understood backwards

Anonymous
Happiness

My mother said to me, "If you are never happy where you are, how can you expect to be happy where you are not!"

Anonymous
More than comfort

When I am feeling depressed, I repeat to myself statements such as these: "Pain is the touchstone of progress."..."This too shall pass"..."Fear no evil"..."This experience can be turned to benefit".

These fragments of prayer bring far more than mere comfort. They keep me on the track of right acceptance; they break up my compulsive themes of guilt, depression, rebellion and pride; and sometimes they endow me with the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

As Bill Sees It. Page 148.

Our group shared on this at a recent AA meeting.

Anonymous
In the future!

You cannot build a reputation on WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO!

Anonymous
The Wisdom of Action!

Intellectual knowledge can be converted into Wisdom by action!

Anonymous
Prayer

Early in me sobriety I was complaining to my sponsor about always misplacing my keys. He suggested that each night before going to bed I should put them under my bed, that way I'd know where they were in the morning and that while I was down there I was in the correct position to thank my Higher Power for the beginning and the end of another sober day. It still works 2 years later. Dennis D.

The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays. Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays.
Soren Kierkegaard

Post new comment