After several months of discussion by the thirteen original groups in the Boston area, the Boston Central Service office was formally established in March of 1946. From the beginning there was a steering committee, and meetings of delegates from the groups were held on a monthly basis. One of the functions of these delegates, among others, was to appoint the executive director of the office, who, in order to be eligible, had to be able to do everything in the office.
The Central Service office started out covering all of New England, with the exception of the state of Connecticut. Through the years, however, the area of responsibility has decreased as different areas have broken away and established their own offices.
In the late 1940s, the problem of hospitalization for the alcoholic came up, and committees were formed through She central office to work with the hospitals. Nothing seemed to work very well, though, and eventually this energy was transformed into holding AA meetings in various institutions on a weekly basis. Gradually, an institutions committee was formed to help carry the message to alcoholics in jail as well as in hospitals, and in the early 1970s detoxification centers were added to this committee.
Cooperation between the central service committee and the Eastern Massachusetts general service area has been happening since the early 1950s, and these two entities share joint service committees in the areas of correctional facilities, treatment facilities, and public information.
The central office has sold AA literature from the very beginning and has a separate book room. It has also published a meeting list from the beginning, and the thirteen original groups which were listed have now grown to over 1,500.