Grapevine Quote

396 replies [Last post]
webeditor

Use this forum to share your thoughts on the daily Grapevine Quote. To sign up for the daily email, click here: Email Sign Up.

Anonymous
help me

please talk to me, WOMAN...NOW, I'M IN DIRE STRAITS

Anonymous
September 12 traditions

Bill talks of aa not being married to anyone.I beg to differ in today's AA meeting we hold hostage everyone sent to us by the treatment industry. We only sign their slips and return them after the meeting there by holding these people hostage. So we are married to a course of action that intentionally causes harm. Until we as a society decide not to hold anyone hostage to our meetings we will suffer the continued degradation of our principles. Isn't it time we divorced ourselves from our societies need to punish law breakers by sending them to us for mandatory rehabilitation.the treatment industry has turned AA into the largest group of unpaid lay councilors in the world. Wouldn't it nice to attend a meeting with people that want to be there instead of one's that have to be there. As a society I see the only answer to today's problem is to stop signing attendance slips.

Joe_C
Todays Grapevine quote from Garden Hose Sobriety

Today from Spiritual Experience II, from El Paso 2006: "When I effectively practice my program, I am only a cheap dime-store garden hose carrying God's message of hope, recovery, and forgiveness."

Nice; I like the idea of being a channel in AA. I share my experience and I am a delivery system. I don't have to force a message or control the outcome. Mindfulness matters but ultimately, I just say what I am moved to say.

Joe_C
August 20 quote from Language of the Heart "UNITY"

Grapevine Quote August 20

"For thousands of alcoholics yet to come, AA does have an answer. But there is one condition. We must, at all costs, preserve our essential unity; it must be made unbreakably secure. Without permanent unity there can be little lasting recovery for anyone. Hence our future depends upon the creation and observance of a sound group Tradition. First things will always need to be first: humility before success, and unity before fame."

I am big on unity. Some think unity and uniformity are the same thing; they are quite opposite. One is fascist, demanding obedience and conformity. The other is love and tolerance. Unity is a noble virtue. It takes courage and love to embrace groups and individuals who have their own way of doing things and not dismissing or feeling threatened by them.

Fundamentalist muckers are too rigid; atheists don't have "real" recovery without God; why do women or young people or the LGBTQ community want their own meetings - isn't mainsteam AA good enough for them? These are the kinds of conformist demands for uniformity that forget that we are 115,000 individual AA meetings, all united, all different and no one whose found a flawless formula yet. We're still experimenting.

Joe_C
August 19 Grapevine

August 19 Grapevine Quote

“What I have learned in the past twelve years is that my relationship with God and my spiritual practice is the only answer, even when I’m not sure of the question.”

North Hollywood, California, September 2005
“Where’s My Reward?”
Spiritual Awakenings II

I think questions are more useful than answers. Answers may be right or wong, truth or myth, but grasping the question, now that is what life is about. Piccaso said, "The problem with computers is that they only give you answers."

Speaking of spiritual practices, while I don't feign a universal definition of spirituality, I am sure it is never binary (right or wrong, yes or no, a one or a zero). As our new pamphlet suggests, the path we are on is one of many -no more or less legitimate than the paths travelled by others. There are "Many Paths to Spirituality" and many worthy directions for each of us to go from here.

Anonymous
Dr. Bob

There are two or three things that flashed into my mind on which it would be fitting to lay a little emphasis. One is the simplicity of our program. Let's not louse it all up with Freudian complexes and things that are interesting to the scientific mind, but have very little to do with our actual A.A. work. Our Twelve Steps, when simmered down to the last, resolve themselves into the words “love” and “service.” We understand what love is, and we understand what service is. So let's bear those two things in mind. Let us also remember to guard that erring member the tongue, and if we must use it, let's use it with kindness and consideration and tolerance. And one more thing: None of us would be here today if somebody hadn't taken time to explain things to us, to give us a little pat on the back, to take us to a meeting or two, to do numerous little kind and thoughtful acts in our behalf. So let us never get such a degree of smug complacency that we're not willing to extend, or attempt to extend, to our less fortunate brothers that help which has been so beneficial to us.

Anonymous
I am like a child

If I was blind and went to an AA meeting I would see the truth about what this progam really is about. Some times when I close my eyes and really listen to what is being said I see things in a whole different light. I just want to reach out and grab it. But when I open my eyes I lose it and my old ways start to creep back in. This is what AA is all about... closing our eyes and seeing a new world and slowly, with a group, change.

Anonymous
In the group we have gathered

In the group we have gathered people from all classes, there is a lawyer, a pharmacist, a nurse, there are pawns of the metal, truck drivers, retired; people in their seventy and people in their twenty others. People who have saved a lot of money and people living with nothing. Illiterate people and people with university degree. Most of them, but not all, fellow sufferers in the group.

Anonymous
Have You Had Enough

I love this quote! I hear it all the time in the rooms. When I came into the rooms I could not understand how anyone could say it was when they lost everything- I mean maybe they did, don't get me wrong- but I did not necessarily lose everything. All I could think was I threw it away- relationships, cars, money, jobs, the list goes on- especially if it was going to get in the way of my drinking. My life was out of control and the things I was doing were unacceptable and at times not so "classy". When I look at how unmanageable and insane my life was it puts things in a whole different perspective. When they say, 'You hit your bottom when you stopped digging", it reminds me of my father saying, "you have not had enough!" Oh how I hated those words. I would always get myself hurt or in trouble and I remember those words floating through the air in one ear and out the other. It attacked my ego and I never knew why he said that, but I get it now, it all makes sense. It used to be everyone else's fault around me, I was always the victim, it was never my fault. I allowed a lot of things to take place in my life and allowed hurtful people in it. In my life, so far, things have not been so perfect. Relationships growing up have not been so perfect and I would do things over and over expecting a different result. My relationship with alcohol was quite the same. Once I got a little time in the rooms and really started taking an honest look at myself, I saw what those words meant. Just like it is when you quit digging, it is the day you truly surrender to your old ideas and your old way of life does and will this program start working with in you. Now those words, "have you had enough" are like gold to me if my father says them and they stick with my in my treasure box of tools.

Missy P.
Redding, CA

Anonymous
Not knowing the truth makes

Not knowing the truth makes me a slave to a lie.
Japanese proverb

Anonymous
We have the autonomy to make

We have the autonomy to make the decisions we want and we used constantly to make wrong decisions. We did a budget in which the expenditure side was higher than income in order. Two months later we had to be undone because it was unworkable. We spent all the money he had in the group celebrate their anniversary and the treasurer for years boasted of having spent all the money the group. The effort he had to do to recover after the group was tremendous. Never realized that the most important program, traditions and service is to use common sense.

Anonymous
We can not anticipate every

We can not anticipate every circumstance that can occur on an IP, but if you can provide the most common occurring, experience tells us what the most normal circumstances that occur in the services are. Maybe normal and logical, does not leave things to chance and have provided the most normal things to avoid having to take the usual decisions on the fly. We have a goal to always have the simplest structure possible. In my home group costs us cover the group's services, including the moderator, keeping the simplest services that we can, if I may complicate people do not want to do nor services will be useful and certainly not what we do. If complicate or services surely we insist that members do services as we want them done, or we insist that people see us as AA as we see it, people who have a good opinion of us happen to think that we are a cult. AA is not a cult, it is we who turn it into a cult.
We had a "buddy" who was angry because the group does not stand the chairs as he wanted, in fact he spent three years without coming to the group, and another struck a patronizing speech about how we ask for literature; he protested because people outside Aviles buy it by mail order and it took ten days to reach. However people towards services as they could or want. He did not think that many people could not go to Avilés to buy the literature, the distance to the host city or working hours, the people who work from Monday to Friday is unlikely to go to the boonies to buy literature. Neither realized that there are many valid ways of doing things, not just your. Neither realized that is not the leader and guide of the group do not have to do things like give him the win. As Dr. Bob said "Keep it simple"

Anonymous
Many times I wonder why

Many times I wonder why people do not stay in the group, but I never think that the atmosphere in the group surely a good cause for all these people disappear from the group. If the group is disengaged is difficult for a newcomer to stay in it, sometimes it is also difficult for veterans, unless you have a huge need to stay. I have not met a masochist in the group. I have not met anyone in the group who likes discussions, fights and disagreements. If every three months are any kind of discord, always reach a point that is hard to come to the meetings. I remember three people who spent half hour talking loudly about the industry that was in the twon, which made a fellow stopped coming to meetings and had bad atmosphere in the meeting.

Anonymous
One of our members came up

One of our members came up with a great quote " Impatience is Anger Jr."
I will add--We all know where anger, can lead us.

Anonymous
Anger: The enemy here on earth

The Blessed Lord said:

It is desire, it is anger,
All consuming and most evil.

Know this to be the enemy here on earth.

~Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 3: Verse 17

Anonymous
it leads to great

it leads to great disaster.................................

Anonymous
Impatience

One our members came up with a great line---" Impatience is Anger Jr."---I will add--- we all know what anger can lead to.

Anonymous
surrender

putting it in gods hands,i just need to stay out of his road and let my maker do the work

Anonymous
I am grateful today.

I am grateful today.

Anonymous
The second tradition says,

The second tradition says, suggests to me, it suggest me do not make decisions of the group; that consense group with people that composes it. To request the opinion on decisions that affects the group as a whole. Pride tells me that I take all the decisions, it's too hard to ask the opinion of all the companions, or at least a substantial part, my seniority allows me to make decisions without consulting all things, that I can rule the group indefinitely. This pride has always led me to fail, at home, at work and of course in the program and services. Perhaps I may need to change this attitude that has always given me bad results.

Anonymous
Simplicity

KISS Keep it Simple Sir or Madame

Anonymous
Dr. Bob knew us very well, he

Dr. Bob knew us very well, he knew how problem we are. We get caught up in unnecessary complications and difficulties having a simple program and some simple traditions; if we had a complicated program a complicated traditions or a complicated structure we would be completely unable to function even despite our stubbornness and our stubbornness.

Anonymous
Do we really know the program

Do we really know the program of Alcoholics Anonymous? Perhaps, you have reason and lots of people don´t understand the program. A partner of Gijon whenever talking about doctors says AA doesn´t recommended going to a psychiatrist, when a chapter of the book "Living Sober", it has wrote and edited by Alcoholics Anonymous, is entitled to seek professional help. Whenever we talk about the eighth tradition he says employees GSO should not charge. When I was three years in the fellowship and I was talking with a "veteran" he told me that he gave no importance to have a few drinks at the weekend. I really do not understand many companions much, if any, of the program. Why any people misunderstand the program? I don´t know.

Anonymous
RE: Dr. Bob knew us very well, he

In my opinion Dr. Bob had a better understanding of the
alcoholic nature than his partner Bill W. Dr. Bob had been
involved with the Oxford Groups about two years, trying
to find a way to stop drinking. He wrote that he got
tight every night. The Oxford Group solution did not work
for Dr. Bob, and does not work for most alcoholics today.
Our Alcoholics Anonymous Program is complicated and we
are just too stubborn to recognize and admit it. Most AA
members today have little or no understanding of the
Traditions. Concepts? What's that. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Complicated Progra m

Oh how I agree that "Our Alcoholics Anonymous Program is complicated and we are just too stubborn to recognize and admit it. Most AA members today have little or no understanding"--of much about AA at all. The structure that used to exist in strong groups is not found in the newer ones, and there are many.

But structure isn't all that is necessary. If the fellowship among members is strong, that's all that is necessary. That is what the early groups existed on until the 12 Steps were formalized. And of course the Traditions came along much later, at least in written form.

But what makes it so complicated? Some times it is the insistence that the Steps are NOT just "suggestions", but must be taken literally. God is highly stressed in some places whether the new member is one of those "we agnostics," and the older members forget, or ignore, that the Big Book says that is to be expected but that eventually the agnostic might come around. At the very least, the group itself, as Bill W. stated so well, must be the first HP because without it there is no unity, service or recovery. Yet that principle of the group as HP is actually denounced in some places.

And then OMG!, what about the adamant atheist, not only the ones who lost their faith and "will not" believe, as the Big Book defines them, but who stand on principle and "cannot" believe, the ones who the Big Book totally ignores, as if they didn't exist? Are they to be excluded? If every member spoke at meetings only in the first person of his/her own experiences, strengths and hopes and left everyone else's inventories alone, then those who don't believe as others do would still find their way.

Isn't that what we want for all alcoholics? "When ANYONE, anywhere, reaches out for help," we all want the hand of AA to be there--and for that we are all responsible.

Anonymous
RE:Complicated Program OMG!

Oh My Gosh, where have you been? That is the "path" I have
been trying to explain for what seems like years. Yes, those who don't believe as others do would still find
their way. Any alcoholic approaching Alcoholics Anonymous
anywhere ought to find the same thing, acceptance, love,
and tolerance. There ought not be any pushing or prodding
on our part. Let king alcohol be the enforcer. If we only
share our own experience, strength, and hope, there is
nothing for the newcomer, or anyone else, to resist. Why
give anyone a reason or excuse not to return. The Big
Book was written when AA was just separating from the
Oxford Groups and their absolutes. Some of the members
insisted that the Big Book and the fellowship/program
MUST be offered in a suggestive manner. We lay the
tools at the feet of prospects. We ought not even tell
them they have to pick up the tools if they want to
get well. Let the newcomer decide. But with pride in
hand, we point to the tools and say: Well, if you want
what we have, you will have to do what we tell you to do.
Joe here is your sponsor. He will tell you what to do.
We all know what those demands are. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
For years reject the prayer

For years reject the prayer and meditation, during all these years was a victim of my weakness of character, my fears and my aggressiveness. Now that I try to practice meditation begun to find relief to my nerves and I managed to control the anger and aggression, I hope to get my anger and my resentments disappear, by the grace of God and the help of Alcoholics Anonymous

Anonymous
"The Twelve Steps ... are

"The Twelve Steps ... are simple in language, plain in meaning. They are also workable by any person having a sincere desire to obtain and keep sobriety. The results are the proof. Their simplicity and workability are such that no special interpretations, and certainly no reservations, have ever been necessary. And it has become increasingly clear that the degree of harmonious living which we achieve is in direct ratio to our earnest attempt to follow them literally under divine guidance to the best of our ability."

I Love Dr Bob! so honest and straightforward. no need for special interpretations, try to follow the steps literally under divine guidence and you will get out of the steps what you put into them. This has certainly been my experience.

Thank you grapevine for all the years of the meeting in print, and know the "what's on your mind" forum! the grapevine archive is also awsome!
Corey

Anonymous
the twelve steps r:

If the twelve steps are proof why is the membership dropping so much!could it be that AA and NA are not so much as they appear as I have found out myself after many times of going threw the steps and traditions.It may help those that rely on someone holding there hand for the rest of there lives and not thinking for them selves.I feal sorry for those unfortunates !!

Anonymous
Gratitude

I was a daily drinker for almost 20 years. With 5 sons, an emotionally abusive husband, poverty,the list of reasons to drink are endless. When I found AA, the particular group of people I have come to accept as my home group have saved my life. i no longer feel self-pity, my shame is gone, and my desire to stop drinking came to a miraculously fast halt. I am thankful beyond words for the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have found God, Peace, and a gift that noone can touch or take away.

Anonymous
today's quote

This is exactly what is going on in my life right now. I thought I may be loosing my mind, not being able to control my emotions! Nice to see others are having the same experience!!!

Anonymous
today's quote

This is exactly what is going on in my life right now. I thought I may be loosing my mind, not being able to control my emotions! Nice to see others are having the same experience!!!

Anonymous
Thank You to the people at the Grapevine

When I called for my subscription to the Grapevine in September, the nice lady on the line said I should easily get the October issue.

Well, it was less than 1 week when I received September's issue!! It really made my day.

The magazine can never replace our Big Book, of course, but something in this months issue really said it best: "The short stories in the Grapevine helped me when my attention span was so short in the beginning days of sobriety."

I am very grateful for "our meeting in print." Thank You to all who write in, and those who work so hard to get it in the mail.

Anonymous
Process of Identification

From the time I started drinking I felt different. I needed a couple of drinks to feel like I belonged wherever I was. I immediately felt like I belonged at my first AA meetings because those present identified simply as alcoholics and described their drinking.
It was quite a while before I started hearing alcoholic/addicts, atheist addicts, and all the other 'special' types of alcoholics. Too bad we can't all just be alcoholics again.

Anonymous
Grapevine quote of the day.

Keeps me thinking about my program thru out the day. Helps me stay
centered on the beam.

Anonymous
Grapevine quote of the day.

Keeps me thinking about my program thru out the day. Helps me stay
centered on the beam.

Anonymous
... no drink today (thanks be to god & a a)

... & a bit of co-operation (sanity) on my part. it has been years since i have been carpetBombed with the flu (day six Now) - surely in so many ways blows my "spirituality" out the window. so the statement no drink today = good & if i could visualize or realize - this too shall pass. stay well all,watch out for germ warfare -

Anonymous
... the pre amble

... one of the - of all of the many aspects of a a. the preamble - begins our meeting(s). a moment of silence precedes the reading. the mobility of a meeting is carried within this short statement. the folded card - the declaration of "i am responsible". the twelve & the twelve. a mobile meeting ! anywhere / anytime two or more are gathered - "our primary purpose is to stay sober (now really see this as a power packed starting point!) & ... to help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety". many a time a meeting comes "out of the blue".

Anonymous
one day at a time...day 11

had gravings today, I wanted a drink sooo bad. I did not give in, I will continue to fight and not give up. thank god I got threw this day.

Anonymous
I've been 18 years in

I've been 18 years in Alcoholics Anonymous but the distance to the next drink is the exact length of my arm. I never remember that I was a drunk for seven years of my life, that the distance that separates me to continue my career alcoholic's have a drink. I keep forgetting I get same or worse than the newcomers. I must make the effort to remember my last drunkeness to remember how and why I came to Alcoholics Anonymous.
When reacted with anger and contempt I am very close to returning to what it was, a drunk. When I look bad the newcomer, women, etc.., Back to closer to what I was. When I demand to other services do not want to do, or do I prevent that I like to do to me, or both, I become a drunk. When I do presentations on the program instead of having as practical, or displays of knowledge do the steps, traditions, services, I'm becoming a pedant and I walk away from the sobriety that I really want.

Anonymous
Let go and let live

Expections are normal, for your age, kept a open mind, do some service work for the old timers. I am handicapped and remember going to meetings, wish I could do for others and listen more than anything. Find a person to sponsor u. Kept going to meetings. Try going on a 12 step call
To let u know how lucky are to know about AA.

Anonymous
Let go and let live

Expections are normal, for your age, kept a open mind, do some service work for the old timers. I am handicapped and remember going to meetings, wish I could do for others and listen more than anything. Find a person to sponsor u. Kept going to meetings. Try going on a 12 step call
To let u know how lucky are to know about AA.

Anonymous
grapevine quote

Indeed today's quote is so true. I am only a drink away of ruining my life. I have so many
times ruined my life because of a drink. No more. Went to an Old Timers Celebration yesterday.
Meeting people who have had 30-40 years of sobriety is amazing. This program is teaching me every
day that there are good people out there who are willing to lend a helping hand to conquer alcoholism
in anyone that wants sobriety. I love this program.

A greatful recovering alcoholic in NH

Anonymous
... god - the "large" book & me

... two or more are gathered - i liked this view. still like it signed, otis

Anonymous
two people together can stay clean and sober. how many

Hold my hand out to all in a.a
.thanks. dave e. A.

Anonymous
I visit te AA Grapevine often

I thank the AA Grapevine staff for the daily quotes they are ,online at the AAGRAPEVINE web page , sent to my email inbox , and make great topics to share .

Anonymous
When I drank, people judged

When I drank, people judged me and looked at me ill. When you reach the peer group judged me and I looked ill, but as I wanted to stop drinking I stay however. We had a bad habit of judging the newcomer, the relapsed, the women, transvestites, we pay in our recovery, as said the The Lord. "Do not judge your brother because the same measure you measure you will be measured". Trully we were the most ridiculous I've ever met, why do not more ridiculous than a drunk who has reached the lowest of his career alcoholic judging another drunk, another partner.
Gijon,

Anonymous
Accion was the solution for

Accion was the solution for finih my studys, Accion was the solution for get work and Accion is the solution that I have for get a good sobriety.

Anonymous
... i do not know th@ it is so much a defying as ...

... an inability to be described or pidgeon*holed.

Anonymous
... now i seem to know th@ no replies are available -

... i am @ wits end in trying to relieve my mom of her torment & confusion. this forum thing is only a sounding board. i should not expect any answers or suggestions to ... keep on trying. i am disappointed in this forum. now @least i seem to know th@ no one responds.

Post new comment