New to AA

534 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
RE: confused!!

Somehow you must get through the "fear" and be "honest" with
this controlling AA member. Be as kind as possible. She sounds like a phone person with unlimited minutes. Be pleasant to her at meetings. Detach with love and without
guilt, and do it soon. Stay away from her and all others
like her. There are many. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Dear Confused

Definitely it is ok to set boundaries and not spend time with her. I would follow my sponsor's advice....unless it was to go ahead and spend time with her. Maybe later when you have a solid foundation you might see her differently or be called on to be of service to her. She does show you that we all have much to recover from.

Anonymous
My beginning

This is my beginning of my journey to live sober. I want to do this for my health and my family which I love very much. I'm about to be a grandma soon and I want to be there for every moment Sober I'm hoping ill have others to talk to on this road to recovery. New grandma

Tara13
Your Beginning

Hello new Grandma.
I am new at this too, but already know this is where I need to be if I am going to beat this thing. Just one day at a time. You are not alone and I wish you well.

Anonymous
Days Without a Drink

It has been over 80 days without a drink,
Leaving me feeling I'm on a cloud colored pink.
Every day I do not drink,
I feel satisfied that I did not sink.
I awake feeling happy with lots of new stuff to do.
I go about my day positively and do not stew.
I go to meetings and learn so much,
I meet new people with pleasure and such.
Sobriety is where I want to be,
It gives me hope for the future as I can see.
There's no time and reason for a drink,
I'm better off without it so I don't stink.
There are better things to do than pick up a bottle,
By not doing so, I'm ready for life's throttle.
Day by day I live and pray,
For I am committed not to sway.

Anonymous
re 80 days

I really enjoyed the rhyme!
i hope you used the steps to get that much time
use those steps to contact a higher power
to protect you from the insanity that may return in the next hour

Anonymous
re 80 days

Glad you enjoyed the rhyme. I've done many others shown here below. I'm pleased to say I am now at 98 days of sobriety! I attribute it to my rehab, my higher power, AA friends and common sense of not wanting to go back to my unmanageable and miserable life. Being sober is the best thing to ever happen to me. It didn't just happen, it took work, committment and determination. Life is happy and good for me being sober.

Anonymous
Sobriety Benefits

THE POSITIVE BENEFITS OF SOBRIETY ARE NUMEROUS. LET ME LIST A FEW:
You are free and a healthy person.
You learn more about yourself.
You have a good relationship with God, family and friends.
You are happy, positive and content with your daily routine.
There are new horizons and experiences by being sober.
There is honesty in dealing with other people.
There are opportunities for creating new friendships.
There is no more lying and hiding to and from loved ones.
There is a great sense of feeling normal.
You are in control of your life and what affects you.
You save money by not spending it on alcohol.
You only have to live one day at a time.

jslavens7
Hi my name is Jim and I am an

Hi my name is Jim and I am an alcoholic and am just listening.

lunchbunch
Listening

Welcome Jim. Glad you are exploring the GV and listening. I hope you hear some messages that resonate with you.

When I first came to AA I was stunned that people were talking not just about their problems with alcohol but about all those other problems, fears and secrets that I was silently struggling with alone. I was amazed to hear how people who had drank worse than me and fallen farther than me were laughing and living useful lives full of love and gratitude.

I found hope and freedom and hope you do as well.

As we say in the rooms, "keep coming back".

Anonymous
Alcohol.....The Disease

Alcohol makes you run and hide,
It makes you feel isolated inside.
Alcohol makes you fearful and unkind,
You must not ignore these feelings in your mind.
You may not feel it, but it's true,
Alcohol is not good for you.
There are times when you want a drink,
Do not go there or you'll be on the brink.
The next time you're tempted to have a Miller,
Pass on it or you'll be on the list of a killer.
Aicohol is the enemy,
Which will be battled for all eternity.

torquess
Getting my FIRST 60 day chip tonight!

Hi all! Bless you all and thanks for my new sobriety!! I'm just starting to understand working my program and if I become complacent and don't do my daily prayers and get involved in service work, I get that obsession back. Yay! I AM teachable! lol It's been an interesting journey so far, without the help of my home group and my sponsor I NEVER would have made it this far, I may have been dead already by now. I'm starting to get a clearer mind, trying to have faith that I WILL find that job, I WILL get friends again, and I WILL get the faith of my family back. This is a complete life changer / saver, it's really not easy to try to change only one thing.. EVERYTHING. But I have the best support team, I have a lot of work to do, but I FINALLY can see the possibility of not only a future, but one that is Happy, Joyous, and free :) Keep coming back, it works if you WORK it. (So I hear :)

Anonymous
60 Days

Congrats on 60 days of grateful sobriety. A sponsor once told me he'd never seen a grateful recovering alcoholic get drunk. I never forgot that.

I would amplify that in AA I didn't just get a job; my sponsor had me write down my dreams and I got to live them. I didn't just make friends; I discovered true friendship based on love and trust and service. And I didn't just get the faith of my family back; I became an asset to the family, someone who they could turn to for help, who had dealt with a killer disease and was available to help others. I didn't come to AA looking for these things. They are just a few of the gifts of sobriety.

charin
Congratulations

Two months is a great time of discovery about how great an AA life can be. Sounds like you are enjoying it. Keep Comin' Back!

Anonymous
A Grateful Newcomer

I came into this house, something of a mess -
Sitting there nodding off and falling out my dress.
Gauntly were my features, hipbones jetting out -
I could hardly cry a whisper or scream a hoarsely shout.
Days of sweating in the cold and shaking in the heat,
I vaguely remember my sixth clean day as I rose upon my feet.
In the car they packed me, I melted down to mush -
Opened the door to a smokey room and whispers at a hush.
I slept through my first few meetings, unaware of the time nor place -
Yet distinctly remember that Christmas meeting as tears rolled down my face.
I never felt as grateful as I sat there and I cried -
Realizing if they hadn't brought me, I surely would have died!
My disease is of the terminal kind, progressive as they call it -
Yet I live today by the Grace of GOD in a room filled with Alcoholics!

*************************************************************************************************************

Being newly sober and living in a recovery house, my financial means are not that where I can afford to subscribe. Soon...very soon I pray - reading and posting on Grapevine is my new short term goal!

Anonymous
A New Day, A New Year

Today is a new day filled with hope,
I will deal with the nasty disease and will cope.
I live today in the new year with great zeal,
I love being sober and that's how I feel.
I do not need a drink to make me feel whole,
I live every hour at a time to reach my goal.
I look to the stars and what do I see,
My higher power looking down on me.
For he is the one to guide, help you keep free,
All you need to do is to commit to him and he will be there for thee.
Happy New Year to all!

Anonymous
Today is a Good Day

No more booze, no more booze.
If you drink, you will lose.
Being sober will set you free,
Today is the day to focus on me.
I wake up every morning feeling alive,
I ask my higher power for guidance to keep my sobriety so I can thrive.
Today is a good day because I am free,
From that nasty disease which brought me to my knees.
Now is the good time to enjoy life,
Because I am sober there is no strife.

Anonymous
Big Book Question

As a newcomer, what is recommended to read first in the Big Book? I was told the Doctors Opinion & the first 164 pages. I realize it's important to read the whole thing! But I just want to know where to begin.

Anonymous
Reading the Big Book

I'd also suggest beginning with The Doctor's Opinion and reading the first 164 pages. If you are able to pray I'd suggest asking that your mind be opened to see what you need to see, hear what you need to hear, and do what you need to do. Also it is good to begin asking for sobriety as many times daily as you think about drinking.

Anonymous
Re Big Book Question

Simple, start from the beginning.

Anonymous

Anonymous
RE: Re Big Book Question

Certainly not at Chapter Five. That would not be a
good IDEA. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
I'm also a newcomer, and I

I'm also a newcomer, and I asked a few people with long-term sobriety how to read the BB, and they all agreed to just start from the beginning. :) I find that I flip to some stories when I'm in certain moods to help with whatever is bothering me. I hope this helps!

jefft1962
Reading Big Book

The newcomer is the most important person in the rooms of AA, so welcome! It would be best to read the Big Book with your sponsor or another alcoholic. Most newcomers start at the very beginning and go from there. The stories are also an excellent starting point. And of course the Grapevine stories are a must also.

clu1992
tradition 1 long form

I when I was a newcomer, I often would repeat sayings I heard at meetings. Early on I started attending a big book meeting. One time, since I was the newcomer, I said “the newcomer is the most important person here”. I was surprised when the oldtimers said where did you get that bs? Then they showed me tradition 1 long form in the back of the big book. In the 4th edition it’s on page 563. It says- Each member of AA is but a small part of a great whole. AA must continue to live or most of us will surely die. Hence our common welfare comes first. But individual welfare follows close afterward.”
In tradition 1, the group is more important than the member. I know many statements are made in meetings everywhere, but where in the first 164 pages of the big book did you read the newcomer is the most important person in the meeting? Actually, besides a grapevine article, can you refer me to any AA literature that make that statement? I don’t recall reading it anywhere. I’m not being sarcastic either, I would really like to read it. Thanks for your post, It brought me back to tradition 1

Anonymous
RE: tradition 1 long form

We come together in A.A. as equals. No one is of any more
importance than anyone else. EGO deflation at depth is
seldom mentioned here. It has a lot to do with recovery;
the reduction of EGO or self importance. I consider
telling a newcomer that they are the most important person
in the room to be harmful. That is hardly deflating one's EGO. It may sound a contradiction but the newcomer is very
(extremely) important. But to tell her/him that they are
the most important person in the room, can be harmful.
I hold the same belief (call it an opinion if you want)
that the reading of HIW at meetings is harmful and
pushes people away. That is how I understand The Doctor's
Opinion. Chapter Five is an important chapter. The first three pages are one of AA's most beautiful readings. But
that reading aloud at meetings has been the major cause
of our loss of effectiveness over the past two decades.
That custom has turned AA into a strange cult-like religion.
Bill W. advised us not to underestimate the value
of the stories in the back of the book. I personally tell
a newcomer to start with some of the stories in the
back of the book, or read Bill's story first. I found
the stories from the first, second, and third edition
exciting. They are contained in the book Experience,
Strength and Hope, available from GSO. ANONYMOUS

jefft1962
Re Anonymous Tradition 1

By my saying that "the newcomer is the most important person," I am not saying that they are better than anyone, I am saying that without them, A.A. would die. A.A. was started by the newcomer, for the newcomer.

In A.A. we make simple sayings like this often. To pick them apart and analyze them is falling into the trap of making this program more complicated than it is, which is the whole point of the simple sayings.

People that go on and on about how A.A. is failing the still sick and suffering alcoholics are usually casually dismissed unless they actually put their words into action. Anybody can sit around and list what they think is wrong with everybody and everything else. Usually these people have quite a few years of sobriety and they think that they have it figured out, and if you would just listen to them, everything would be much better for everyone.

While some A.A. groups may have gone down the wrong path with some of the ways that they conduct their meetings, that is for them to decide. There is no A.A. police. We are allowed to make mistakes on our own. Nobody likes being told what to do.

My experience with Tradition 1 is that I have to keep my personal ideas, desires and ambitions in check whenever it could damage the unity of the A.A. group. Because, "Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.

Anonymous
Yes

I think that when someone is new, a new job, a new singer, a new dancer, a new parent. Someone who is new is able to bring life and a new perspective. It also reminds those who have been here longer what it was like to be new and unsure and scared and afraid and wanting to bolt out of the door as fast as they can. I have been going to meetings since February 12, 2014. I am still new and when someone says that I am wanted and important it helps build a part of me that has died. The ego can also be threatened when light is shone on a new person, a new baby, a new employee, but instead of tearing someone down, its about lifting them up and in place lifting yourself up.

allen44
Very well said

Very well said

Anonymous
Thank You!

Thank You!

lunchbunch
Big Book

It was suggested that I start with the forwards to the earlier editions in the very front of the book and then move on to Doctor's Opinion and the 164. This method was also followed by all of the BB study groups I participated in over the years. There are great nuggets of information and pearls of wisdom sprinkled throughout the BB.

The stories in the back of the book have changed over the course of four editions. I believe that the stories, like those in the Grapevine, are intended to create identification by giving varied examples of how different people drank and recovered.

Anonymous
At the beginning and I

At the beginning and I suggest attending big book studies to get a better understanding of whats being read.

noduis
Re: Big Book Question

Why not start at the beginning? There is a lot of helpful information in the preface and the forewords.

Anonymous
re BB question

I have a hunch the authors put the be beginning in the front of the book. Even the dust jacket contains important information. The preface contains information about the 44 personal stories. The foreword to the fist edition tells why the book was written.

You have a choice. You can get the information from it's source or from a guy that heard it from an guy that thinks it means....

Anonymous
Tired of the same old ...

I have seventy-four days sober and am thirty four years old. I have been giving this thing a shot since I was nineteen and still have struggled making any progress in my life. Sometimes I am so angry that I could murder someone, or take my own life. Most of my troubles have been with financial security and keeping a job. I have been locked up for drinking more than once. I seem to attract all of these people who like to party instead of people who want to do better and stay sober the rest of their life like I do. I can see others problems better than I can see my own. I wish my prayers would finally get somewhat answered and this bs would end. I am the only one who can change me and with help of a sponsor and home group things are getting better. I spend a lot of my time doing "KP" duty, cleaning up everyone else's messes. I am tired of feeling like I have been shit on and am ready to fight. Thank God I am sober today, and thanks AA.

jefft1962
The Same Old...

When I am spiritually bankrupt, driven by one of the many "forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, self-pity," and obviously devoid of any gratitude what so ever, I do what has been suggested to me in the past that has worked: more AA 12 step meetings, more contact with other alcoholics (phone calls), and reaching out to the still sick and suffering alcoholic.

I had a day like that two weeks ago. I was laid off in November and I have been going to more meetings and doing more service work. I woke up one morning angry and discontented about my job situation, and I knew that I had to do something about it right away. I went to three meetings, made some phone calls and spoke at a treatment center. But the more time that I had to "think," the more I felt myself slipping back into self-pity, resentment, etc. But the action that I took made me feel safer and it gave me hope that tomorrow would be better.

When I am in a tight spot, nothing I can tell myself makes it any better; nor can I pray or meditate myself out of this jam. By myself, I am completely powerless over this "seemingly hopeless state of mind."

It is only by my positive action that I can keep myself away from that first drink. And what keeps me safe during this time is others. With the help of others I am restored to sanity. Much to my disappointment, this takes time. After nearly four years of sobriety, it takes a day or two, instead of a week or two. Before AA, this was a constant state of mind.

I don't like asking for help. I feel like a looser. I think that I am a big boy and I should be able to take care of myself and my problems. But the reality is, as I have learned over and over, it that I need help. I am often wrong in my thinking. AA has taught me a new way of living that I never dreamed possible.

Thank you everyone that shares and comments here. You are all part of my Higher Power that keeps me spiritually fit so that I don't need to drink to feel better. I love you all!

lunchbunch
Tired of Same Old

The BB says that resentment is the number one offender that destroys more alcoholics than anything else. It also says that anger is the dubious luxury of normal men but is poison for alcoholics. Thankfully, we have a solution in the steps, especially the 4th step, where we have the opportunity to identify and deal with the people, ideas, institutions, situations...that piss us off.

The practices and principles that are in the steps are the key to freedom, recovery and a life that is happy, joyous and free.

Anonymous
No More KP Duty

I would wish you the best. Give up cleaning up everyone's messes. Did you ever think that you may have a need to do that rather than face your own issues and needs? I think if you can stop worrying about others and take care of yourself; you'll find yourself in a better place. You must come first. We really can't take care of others until we tend to ourselves first. Good luck.
DFM

Anonymous
Tired of the same old

" I am the only one who can change me" is the only thought impossible for any of us to bear. The correct thought is out of faith that "God is the only is the only one who can change me". Keep waiting on Him and he will change us all.

noduis
Re: Tired of the same old

There's an old story about a guy who passed a vacant lot on his daily walk. The lot was overgrown with weeds and full of trash. One day he decided to do something about it and began cleaning it up. Every day he worked, taking trash out, getting rit of weeds and planting flowers and bushes. Soon there was a pleasant garden where there had been trash. A preacher passed by and commented, "Brother, you and the Lord ahve really done wonders for this lot."
"Yees we have. But you should have seen it when the Lord had it to himself."
My sobriety would have been impossible without my Higher Power, but I had to do a heck of a lot of work, too.

Anonymous
One day at a time!

Its a good day to be sober! Keep it simple. Stay in the day, and hours become days, and days become months, and months become years! you are doing good by recognizing the people, places, and things. I understand what your saying, and I surround myself with people in recovery. Keep fighting and dont give up 5 minutes before the miracle happens. You are a miracle at 74 day! God bless. Lisa

Anonymous
As Time Goes By

Every day, as time goes by I feel healthier,
Because I am alive and feel wealthier.
Each day brings new beginnings and happiness abound,
For it is my attitude and wife's support that keeps me sound.
I wake up each morning and say what do you want to do,
Drink or be sober, it's all up to you.
Nothing makes me happier than knowing the support of family, friends and the love of my life,
Because of this, there is no strife.
As time goes by I continue my sober streak,
Let it be known I am strong and not meek.
I live my life one day at a time,
Because of this I feel sublime.

Anonymous
5 O'Clock

Five O'Clock rolls around every day,
With a little voice saying "Isn't it time for a drink today?"
I ignore this voice and find something else to do,
Remain calm and strong so I do not stew.
There are times when I would like a drink,
It could happen in a blink of an eye and a wink.
Knowing this I must not succumb,
There's a lot more to life than a drink and being numb.
Five O'Clock moves into the night,
Without me drinking into a fright.
Now is the time to say goodnight,
Reaching for my higher power and ask for him to do me right.

Anonymous
Today is Today

Today is today, I'm ready to thrive,
For I am sober and feel alive.
I am ready to tackle whatever God brings,
For I am positive and ready to sing.
I live for today and only today,
I reach for my higher power and his way.
He will guide me with my plan,
Because he knows I am a sober man.
At the end of the day, he will say,
You should feel good that you didn't sway.
Now is the time to thank one and all,
For being there with support so I wouldn't fall.

Anonymous
How long have you been sober?

Does your higher power have a lot to do with it, or is mainly you?

jefft1962
HP or Me?

The AA groups continue to be my "go to" higher power after almost 4 years of continuous sobriety and spiritual fitness. My sobriety is not the direct product of myself. I have asked for help, worked the steps, and I help others. The rest is a gift. I believe that there are no guarantees.

Anonymous
re how long

An honest look at my life revealed that I couldn't control alcohol after drinking a small amount, I couldn't stay away from it and I denied the first two facts. When I started AA the group was a power greater than me. They could not only not drink, they could be happy about it. I stopped drinking. Since I had used alcohol to numb every bad feeling that ever came along, I was in trouble without it. What am I supposed to do when anger grows to rage, when fear becomes paralyzing? I came to believe that a Power Greater than me could and would provide me with some sanity. The rest of the steps followed.
To answer your question, it is an inseparable partnership that has kept me sober for more than the last half of my life. I have to apply some effort in using AA’s proven program of recovery and God picks up the rest.

My current version of a Higher Power (who I just read made 8.8 billion planets which can easily support life) wants for nothing. No money, no prayers, no praise, no spreading the word, no fasting, nothing. I ask for help and get it (in a form sometimes I don’t understand at the time). I was hung up on a God like a human authority figure – I will love you if…. With God there is no if. I practice it and feel it working. It answers almost all of my BIG questions. For me no other version of God comes even close.

Anonymous
The Journey

Sobriety is a journey,
With alot at stake.
Just dwelling leads to relapse,
Which is a big mistake.
Knowing what is right and what is wrong,
This is key to make you strong.
The journey is a life-long ride,
Staying on board will give you pride.
The past is smoething I regret,
I have hurt some, I hope they will forgive and forget.
Today is for learning beyond all call,
If you don't learn, you will stall and fall.
Believing is key reaching for higher power,
Keep believing in every hour.
The journey is serious and for real,
You must be willing with all your zeal.

Anonymous
Hifger Power

During your weakest hour, reach out to your higher Power.

Anonymous
oldtimer is driving me bananas

Hi, I'm about 2 1/2 years sober. I love AA, but have been having a really hard time with one particular old-timer man in my home group lately. I'm admittedly a younger woman. My perception has been that the old-timer in question is often indirectly telling others how to work their program in his shares. For instance, a woman qualified on meditation, and he shared that he felt that she "wasn't doing it right". More often he will cross-talk in his shares indirectly, which leaves people wondering if he was actually talking to/about them or not. He's got so much wisdom and experience, but the way he talks to people, especially women( he seems to have more to say to women in the regard), is so irritating to me I find myself wondering if I should just find another home group. I think I should approach him about the issue, but I have the feeling he'd be pretty defensive and unfortunately I am not the most articulate especially around men. (Brought up by an extremely critical rage-aholic who often called me stupid) What to do? Be brave and take an action and let go of the results? Or just let my 4th step on him be enough and have patience and put the cotton in my mouth.
thanks for any suggestions!

Anonymous
dealing with alcoholics

Those prayers on page 67 and 552 are to help us to deal with people who aren't going to change. What is it in me that is not accepting them? I don't know but I have been saying those prayers for some people for years. Those prayers are reflex now.

This man has no wisdom about women, and limited experience on meditation so that is where he is coming from.

Many oldtimers do talk in meetings about how they did the steps....especially when they think it might be helpful.
Maybe you can find a way to avoid taking all this personally?
People are going to be who they are no matter how inconvenient it is for me.

Patience isn't the character defect that causes me to be irritated with people.

Post new comment