Traditions

950 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
AA's internal correction

You are entitled to your view, Corey, but I don't agree. At least in my area, getting involved in the general service process means spending many years with others already involved in the general service process. By the time one reaches delegate in my area, all of the rough edges have been worn off and the person is pretty much in the mold of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Also, it's troubling to me that the general service process effectively minimizes the voice of the local intergroup associations and committees, which I believe are the true front lines of AA.

And Bill's allocation of delegates gives undo voice to groups in rural areas.

And the fellowship's decision to make AA members a supermajority of General Service Board limits another potential source of helpful feedback from friends of AA.

As a result of the limited views represented, I think it has been extremely difficult for AA to take an honest look at itself. We are good at debating commas in the Big Book, but have never properly addressed more difficult issues, in my view.

Anonymous
RE: AA's internal correction

Few AA members today know the reason for our inclusion
of Non-alcoholic trustees on our Board of Trustees. The
General Service Board, prior to 1954, was known as the
Alcoholic Foundation, Inc. We read this as a footnote
while studying Tradition Eight. 12 +12 page 168. The
Foundation was formed to receive, hold and manage monetary
contributions from the general public. But the general
public might hesitate to send money to a band of
alcoholics. Bill had some great friends who supported
his efforts, many non-alcoholics. Bill lists them in
Language of the Heart. Bill formed the first group
of trustees with these men. They would be responsible
to handle the money if the alcoholics "got drunk".
I don't have the ratio in front of me, but the
non-alcoholic trustees greatly outnumbered the
alcoholic trustees.
Very little money was sent in to the foundation,
and in 1954 its name was changed to The General Service
Board of Alcoholics Anonymous, Inc. Today the Board
consists of 14 Class B alcoholics, and 7 Class A,
non-alcoholics. I don't know how we became second class.
We needed the non-alcoholic trustees in the beginning.
That need no longer exists. We have proven ourselves.
Alcoholics can remain sober and responsible. In my opinion,
all of our non-alcoholic trustees ought to be replaced,
as their terms expire, by A.A. members. Why would we
need anyone to go out into the public to speak openly
for Alcoholics Anonymous? If we are criticized by the
public, and there is the least bit of truth, we need to
look at it and make adjustments. If it is false, there
is no need to defend ourselves. My Area Delegate
encouraged me to keep sounding the alarm, that maybe
we can turn this ship around. So I continue. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
AA's internal correction

You also wrote that the the supermajority of
AAs as members of the General Service Board,
has some kind of limiting effect. Are you saying
that outside non-alcoholics ought to be in
total control of AA finances and to be responsible
for upholding our traditions? After 77 years, haven't
we proven that alcoholics can be dependable and
responsible for our own affairs. Why do we need Non-AA
class A trustees at all? Sure, a non-alcoholic could
appear in public if the need arose. We have no need to
appear in public. If we are criticised, and there is
any truth in the criticism we ought to listen and
make corrections. If the criticism is entirely false,
we best just ignore it. Distance and silence. I believe
the time has come to really come of age and accept
responsibility for our own affairs. Surely we can
find 21 sober alcoholic AA members who can do the
job. Again, where can I find the commas, or the lack
of them? ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
RE: AA's internal correction

You wrote "We are good at debating commas in the
Big Book." Is this what is called a hyperbole, or was
the use of commas in the Big Book ever debated. I would
appreciate any details from any source.
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
AA traditions

I agree. It seems as though AA in NY has double standards. in one breath they say how AA has a upside down triangle. But truth be told there are many problems going on in AA in 2012 and AA and every level except at some group levels are dealing with a serious sexual predation problem.

Anonymous
Our Discussion Group on

Our Discussion Group on Monday night in Caribou, Maine does indeed attract new members. They come even fron Canada (New Brunswick) towns and city. God will bless our Group.
Clem T.

Anonymous
Laughing at you

Really? Some people actually think that the only thing someone is to share about in an Alcohlics Anonymous meeting is alcohol? Wow! Now that is narrow mindedness if I ever saw it. When I go into a meeting and I had a rough night because my dog decided to chew up my recliner, I have the right to share about it. Nowadays we hear all the time, moaning about boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, husbands, mistresses, bosses, co-workers, the cashier that didnt give you your change quick enough or even the line at the DMV. Are you that narrow minded to not realize that any one of these things may be the straw that breaks the camels back and send someone to the bottle? Singleness of purpose? Please tell me what you "think" our singleness of purpose is. Please dont tell me you havent made it past the seventh word of the Twelve Steps. Step One-We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanagable. You do know there is more to the program of Alcoholics Anonymous than just not drinking right? Believe it or not, life became a whole lot harder when I sobered up. As they say, life happens. Now by no means am I saying people should be going into meetings and giving a drug-a-log, nor a drunk-a-log for that matter. Meetings are supposed to be solution based. Feel free to talk about the Steps, Traditions or any A.A. literature you choose. The Big Book says we are to fit ourselves spiritually to be of maximum service to God and our fellows. Step Twelve states "Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps." That means the purpose of the Steps is to obtain a spiritual awakening and then share that awakening with others. If I went into a meeting and all they talked about was the good ol' days, I would surely go get drunk. But I choose to attend and participate in solution based meetings. We all know that meetings that are not solution based tend to fall apart. So for all those that use the Alcoholics Anonymous literature as your only line of arguing, please read it. In the Twelve and Twelve there is a story in the Third Tradition about how a morphine addict joined A.A. and had helped thousands of A.A.'s. Or better yet, stop complaining about things and start participating. I was taught that if I dont like the way a meeting is lead, to join the home group and try to change it.

Anonymous
primary purpose

Participating in 5 workshops on our singleness of purpose this past year in 2 different states gave me the opportunity to read, study, and pray about this matter. Some on our panel were professionals in the field of drug and alcohol treatment ie medical directors of treatment programs etc,. It seem their impression of our fellowship is that we are a"clearinghouse" for addictions. That is mine and many others concern. What message are we, as a fellowship, sending to those outside? We have but one primay purpose: to carry our message of hope the alcohoic who still suffers. The recent General Service Conference addressed this issue by changing some language that defines what are open and closed meetings. My home group is a closed discussion group where alcoholics can come and identify not compair addicitons. Non alcohoics who seek recovery in A.A. wind up, for the most part, exhausting their recovery energy trying to compair their addiction with our alcoholism. We can do most anything we want as individuals outside the rooms of A.A. but as a fellowship we must cleve to our single puppose else we won't have a purpose.Please read Bill's own word about this in the pamphlet "Problems Other Than Alcoholism. Love and Tolerence, Mike

Anonymous
Singleness of Purpose

From reading several posts here, (and over the years), I know this is certainly not a new subject but I think we are
mixing several different issues of concern.
1) the first page of the first tradition says we can say what we want along with page 19 of the BB, however--
2) how long we talk can be subject to the meeting format
3) there is a requirment for membership, it is a desire to stop drinking. If you have never had a drink, (doesn't matter how many drugs you did), you cannot be a member of AA.
4) being a member of AA entitles you to go to closed meetings.
5) we do have a singleness of purpose,(doesn't matter what our "opinions" are), this is a fact.
6) The steps can be used on any addiction or problem an individual would like to use them on but in an AA meeting they are applied the way they are written in the BB
7) I personally am sober today. A big factor in this was the fact I went to an AA meeting because I finally had a moment of clarity that "maybe, just maybe, most of my problems are because of my drinking". My first meeting was a real AA meeting of about 25-30 people who first stepped me by telling me a little of each of their stories. They talked about alcholisim, what they drank, how much they drank, what they felt like when they drank, what they did and how they acted when they drank, the problems drinking caused them and how they got sober. If they would have talked about smoking doobies, snorting coke, shooting heroine, dropping acid, eating chocholate cake, gambling, sex,caffein, sugar,overweight issues, so on and so on. I probably would have turned my face to the wall and died.
8) AA can't be all things to all people as noble as that would be. Alcoholics gift is that we can talk to other alcoholics. If someone sits in a meeting and says they had a slip on smoking crack over the weekend I cannot relate but if an alky says I picked up a drink and they describe how they felt, what it smelled like, what it tasted like, how they reacted, I can relate.
9) I never did any drugs but I am 100 lbs overweight, have had sex problems in the past, have had gambling problems and I lost my son to alcoholism and drug use, (he died of a heroine overdose), so I am not on a soapbox because I think I am perfect. I am on a soapbox because I want AA to save someone elses son. I don't know if AA failed my son or not. It certainly has not failed me. I want sobriety. I made the commitment. I work the steps.
10)IF we work the steps, follow the traditions, (not our opinions), and always keep the newcomer in mind AA will be fine. If we follow our sick ideas and opinions and what "We" think is right we will we in a world of s@*+.

Ray C.

clu1992
RE Singleness of purpose

I agree with your 10 statements 100%. Sorry to say that is just one recovered alcoholics opinion.

In all the AA liturature I have read and studied over the past 20 years, I recall nothing that would discount anything in the list you have posted. I may be wrong, in fact I often am.

I propose to anyone out there that disagrees with Ray to do some research into this great subject. Please post what you find with references so AA members like myself can investigate what you say and choose for ourselves what we believe.

I have read that "unity is the greatest asset our society has". I think (opinion) that a part of that unity is that we are alcoholics and the other part is that we share a comon solution.

Thanks
Corey

Anonymous
single purpose

With so many A.A. members of the opinion that alcohol is just another drug and non-alcoholic drug addicts can and should find recovery in A.A. my question is "What about the real alcoholic?" Those who Bill called my cousins have other places to find a way out. This is the last stop for me. When A. A. is no longer A. A. the real alcoholic is doomed. Please speak up for our singleness of purpose,have the courage to make a stand for A. A. please keep Alcoholics Anonymous Alcoholics Anonymous. Thank you , Mike

Anonymous
Singleness of purpose - Solution

If you consider yourself dual addicted or triple addicted or quad addicted, here is a functional suggestion & solution. Remember, "If you focus on the problem, it gets bigger but if you focus on the solution, it gets better". You decide which of your addictions is primary. You must decide. No one can decide for you. Then go to that addiction's 12 step program. Treat the other addictions as character defects in that addiction's program. You won't get near as much attention that way but it will probably save your life! Corky S. 7-8-71

Anonymous
re: singleness of purpose again

Not to beat a dead horse here, but in our community we have over 100 meetings per week that are thriving, and we count as members many who would freely admit they are primarily addicts of various sorts (to both legal and illegal substances), but have found the solution based discussions in AA to be better at keeping them sober (clean). They are not discouraged from attending, or even from identifying themselves as addicts. My substance of choice was always alcohol (and salt water taffy), but I do not reference what or how I drank other than to note that I could not stop without the help I found in AA. Having stopped drinking (I'll work on the taffy in my next life), what I need to hear today is how to deal with the slings and arrows of life without resort to my old means of coping: drink. How is this different from Vicodin addict's daily struggle?

Anonymous
Re: Re: Singleness of purpose again

I was given five senses, sight, smell. taste. hearing, touch. I would not expect my ophthalmologist to treat my hearing problem, nor my dentist to prescribe new glasses.
Apples and tomatoes are both fruit,s usually round, usually red, mostly juicy and quite tasty. In other words, they have veery much in common, but no one would think of mixing them together to bake an apple pie.
Perhaps if we work on recovery from alcoholism we can learn how to deal with the slings and arrows of life. "We will intuitively know how to handle problems which used to baffle us."
Those who believe they are above the twelve traditions aren't truly interested in helping other alcoholics as much as they would have us believe.

truthiness
re: singleness of purpose

"we count as members many who would freely admit they are primarily addicts of various sorts (to both legal and illegal substances"

Great that so many addicts are staying clean in your group, but it should not be listed as an Alcoholics Anonymous group.

Anonymous
Drug is a drug

After 40 years of continuous sobriety, I to am saddened by the actual state of our traditions. They are not followed. That will end AA as we know it. Here is what I have seen. About 1975, treatment centers became popular. They taught "A drug is a drug" to their clients, then sent them to AA. Those clients then taught others in AA that "A Drug is a drug". Now, that myth is believed by the majority of members. I am very active in AA but every meeting, wherever I attend, usually several people talk about drugs. I never used any drugs so it is like going to an AA meeting & listening to someone talk about gambling or child molesting or Alanon. That is not AA. Thanks, Corky-Plano TX

Anonymous
Drug is a Drug

Having 31 years in the program I do not have a problem with people mentioning they used other drugs besides alcohol. If alcohol is their drug of choice, and they used other drugs whether legal or illegal it does not bother me when they speak. I certainly do not want AA to be damaged, but I also feel that AA may have to change a bit with the times. A majority of alcoholics since the 1970's have also used other substances other than alcohol. I know I have worked in service in California where I got sober, and also in Arkansas where I live now. I have met quite a few "addicts" in both states who feel that without AA they would never have got Sober & Clean. The "spin dry factories" that sprang up in the mid 70's serve a purpose, but if the clients do not continue a program of recovery, they have little chance of not going back out. I think some of us need to be more accepting, and listen for the similarities and not the differences. We do not need to become "bleeding deacons"
Bill D. Hot Springs, AR...

Anonymous
No need for AA police

I think AA works best when we stick to our own stories. If you honestly never, ever used drugs in connection with your drinking, feel free to share that. But if you *did* use drugs in connection with your alcohol, please be honest about that, too. I think the notion that we need to edit or lie about our drug use "out of respect for AA" is misleading and ultimately damaging to us as individuals and as a fellowship.

Remember too, that AA is not a driving education program, but a lot of people talk about their driving troubles and no one complains about that. We talk about a lot of things that contributed to or were a consequence of our drinking, and drug use happens to be one of those things.

I think some of the issue with drug talk is that perhaps some hold on to a reservation that they can one day control and enjoy their drug use, as long as they don't drink. I think that's another idea that needs to be smashed.

Where I go to meetings we are still in the "total abstinence" school of thought, which includes abstinence from recreational drugs and extreme caution and accountability with respect to prescribed ones. (Things discussed in the AA pamphlet on the subject.)

Anonymous
re no need for aa police

Sounds good to me. when i read bills story, on pg 7 he talks about drinking gin & sedative. somewhere in more about alcoholism bill writes about morphine or a high powered sedative to tapper off. in Dr bobs nightmare on pg 176 he talks about taking sedative to calm his nerves.
I think if our cofounders can honestly talk about booze and drugs, we can too.

truthiness
re: no need for aa police

Bill W and Dr. Bob described themselves as alcoholics but never said they were addicted to sedatives, morphine or any other drug.

dmobley
big tent

I have no doubt that sedatives were rampant in the 30's and that AA should never be a barkers sideshow but an affectionate big tent, as the founders tolerance built it back then. Dr. Bob's keep it simple was warm and wise, but maybe also stern like a good father is stern: Stay on the message;What have I learned through my experience that gives me strength and hope.

AD010416
Cofounders mentioning drugs

You don't know the difference between one sentence mentioning drugs in a story and an entire story about drugs?

Anonymous
AA police

AA is for Alcoholic's only to carry the message of AA.

AD010416
Re: No Need for AA Police

There would be no need for discussion if the addicts would show the same respect for our traditions as those alcoholics who are also member of OA, GA, etc.
I've met very few addicts who know the difference between mentioning something in one's story and making that something the focus of one's story. Yes, alcoholics talk about their driving problems in meetings. But they don't go into detail, naming the time, place, model vehicle and arresting officer's name and badge number.
They show absolutely no regard for the alcoholic who didn't use drugs at all, or didn't use enough to become addicted. Several local meetings have folded because they focused on drug addiction rather than on alcoholism.
To quote the pamphlet, "Problems Other Than Alcohol,"
"Sobriety - freedom from alcohol - through the teaching and practice of the Twelve Steps, is the sole purpose of an AA group."
Notice that sobriety is defined as freedom from alcohol, not freedom from what bothers us.
Addicts, not compulsive gambler, not overeaters, only addicts insist that AA change to suit them rather than change themselves. ("Selfishness, self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles.")
You don't hear what you need to hear at NA meetings? Get off your backside, round up other addicts who know what they need to hear (AA meetings are overrun with them) and get NA on track as a program for recovery from addiction.

Anonymous
Re: No Need for AA Police

I was careful to relate my experience to the groups with which I am familiar, which tend to go overboard (in my view) with suppressing drug talk.

If your experience is different, let me suggest that the answer is probably *not* to lecture the offenders and tell them to shape up or ship out. And of course, the advice to "get off your backside" goes both ways. The AA member who doesn't like the message in the local groups is free to start a group with different ground rules.

Interestingly, around here, my experience is that even the NA meetings don't have a lot in the way of drug-a-logs. They focus more on the solution, some even more than AA (in my area). So that's brings up another possibility. Rather than tell people what to do, suggest a shift in meeting format to a step or literature meeting that gets away from people focusing on their stories rather than on recovery. Limiting sharing time (to give everyone a chance to share) is another way.

All needs to be processed through a group conscience, of course. And what I find is that a group conscience can often yield insights and possibilities that even I (as smart as I am) haven't thought of. Amazing how it works.

Anonymous
Single purpose

Thank You, Mike. It is nice to hear someone else talk single purpose. Zeke

CHARLESFRO
real alcoholic

My sponsor taught me the principles of the program. In turn it is my responsibility to pass it on to the people I sponsor. In a meeting it is our responsibility to make sure that the principles of the program are passed on. We come together to share our experiences with alcoholism, not drugs. We identified as alcoholics. Listen to the old-timers the ones that have been around for a years. The ones who sponsor other people, and take their program seriously. They are the ones that will keep Alcoholics Anonymous, Alcoholics Anonymous. This program is a we program one alcoholic helping another.
real alcoholic
Charlie F

Anonymous
Principles?

What happened to patience, tolerance, acceptance, faith, courage and open-mindedness just to name a few. While I share your views on what A.A. is all about-helping another alcoholic, I was taught to practive the spiritual principles in all my affairs excluding nothing, including meetings.
Real Alcoholic that has had a spiritual awakening
Rick R

Anonymous
Steps are good the Traditions are GREAT

Love the Traditions of A.A. - No one should make anyone conform or believe in anything. Get a sponsor or you will get drunk? religious all over again or what!! LOL

Anonymous
You don't have to conform!

BUT, if you want what we have & are willing to go to ANY length, then you are ready....... Corky S. 7-8-71

Anonymous
RE: You don't have to conform!

This is exactly the sort of thinking (and today most
AA members think this way, because that is what they have
been taught) that pushes so many alcoholics back out into
the darkness. It is harmful to give anyone in an AA meeting
this type of directive. This self righteous attitude does
not belong in Alcoholics Anonymous. If you want to know
how to carry AA's message, study page 70 in Alcoholics
Anonymous Comes Of Age. Study the exact method Bill W.
used when he approached Dr. Bob. Bill did not say to
Dr. Bob: But if you want what I have & and are willing
to go to ANY length, then you are ready..... Bill said
to Dr. Bob "Man, I need you desperately. Please listen
to my story for 15 minutes. This has helped me in the
past six months, and I am desperate. I am afraid I
am going to drink, and I believe this will help me."
No, I was not present at that first meeting. But I
have read enough of AA history to know it is pretty much
correct. Until we return to that approach, suffering
alcoholics by the millions will continue to suffer.
ANONYMOUS

clu1992
Re you don't have to conform

I don't know about anyone else, but I use the directions of how to talk to newcomers from chapter 7 "working with others".

Bill tells us how to deliver the AA message. He says we should talk like he did in the chapter about alcoholism- Chapter 3 "More About Alcoholism".

He says if they are interested in our program to lend then your copy of the big book. Then let them decide if they are willing.

Bill says something about let them know you are available to help with step 3 and 5 (well he says make their decision and hear their story).

I am talking from memory, so don't expect it to be perfect.

I feel if I try to carry the message as laid out in chapter 7, I am doing the right thing. If they have read our book there will be no surpises!

If a newcomer is not willing to read our book, they are definately not willing to take any of the action suggested in it.

Let's remember the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" is and always will be our basic text for AA. The "Idea" that is mentioned in AA comes of age is found in "The Doctor's Opinion", chapter 3 "More about Alcoholism", and chapter 7 "Working with Others", not to mention Bill's story and most of the stories in the back of the book.

This is "just my opinion", so it usually only matters to me.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
Re: RE: You don't have to conform!

"Bill said to Dr. Bob "Man, I need you desperately. Please listen to my story for 15 minutes."
Where did you read (or hear) this? Everything I've read about their first meeting says that Dr. Bob agreed to give Bill fifteen minutes, not the other way around And what I read on page 70 is, "I knew I needed this alcoholic as much as he needed me." Note that it says, "I knew ...," not, "I told him ...".
Manufactured history isn't history, it's falsehood.
Jim S.

Anonymous
trads

You love them? But do you know them? Do you attend a Traditions study group?
love,
mustafa

Anonymous
tradition 8

Tradition 8

“Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our service centers may employ special workers.”

To me this tradition seems cut and dry on the surface. AA should have no professional class, but we can hire janitors, secretaries, and managers for our service centers to provide for our fellowship. It’s our 12 step work that can’t be for hire. As individuals we can be counselors but we can’t use the AA name for our benefit.

I feel this keeps the AA name from being misused by individual members of our fellowship. It has been said many times that AA doesn’t have to worry about being destroyed from outside our fellowship. If or when it falls apart, it will come from within our fellowship. I think if we keep working the steps of AA and practicing the 12 traditions and 12 concepts we will be ok.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
You obviously have no

You obviously have no knowledge of the Traditions as well meaning as you might be. The Sixth concerns outside affiliation.
love,
mustafa

Anonymous
FIRST Tradition

"Our common welfare should come first. Personal recovery depends upon AA unity"
If you think you are unique, maybe you are and don't belong in AA.
Save the hyphenated labels for marriage. In AA we are just alcoholics, with a singleness of purpose; To carry the message and help others to recover from alcoholism.
So if your anything but just an alcoholic, ie: grateful, recovering, addict or any other hyphen that makes you 'special', save it. We are united as simply alcoholics.
Charlz W.

Anonymous
Recovering, Recovered

A few years ago I went to a one hour open discussion
meeting in a distant town, about an hour away. The chairperson asked if anyone had a topic. A hand was raised
and the topic of recovered versus recovering was introduced.
The discussion was lively to say the least. What a waste
of an hour. My name is Joe and I am an alcoholic. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Re: FIRST Tradition

COMMON WELFARE? What is that? to be a sponsor to someone else because we screwed up our own lives? Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity - Why is the outside system bent on taking hostages instead of promoting unity? Is this the selfashness, self centerness that is talked about

Anonymous
Tradition 7

Tradition 7: Every AA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

My favorite part of this tradition as written in the 12x12 is at the end of the 7th tradition. It says,” They pointed out that the irresponsible has become responsible.” I think that statement is great! I can’t think of a statement that sums up AA better.

I think Tradition 7 has also given AA an enormous public relations boost. Every other organization out there is asking for money. We of AA simply say,” no thanks. We want to pay our own way”. It is truly amazing.

My group recently rented a room in a facility. The manager said it was “free” to use. We said that’s fine, but we would like to pay rent. We offered the going rate for our area and they accepted it. We pay to the facilities foundation. They use the money to replace carpet, tables, and chairs. The very things we are using and wearing out.

I have heard many members of AA talk of low self-esteem. This tradition taught me that if we do esteem able acts, we will gain self-esteem. I feel there is no other way.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
Tradition 7

I have 3 questions rather than a comment. One, can a club (nonprofit corporation) that rents space to AA groups for their meetings sell AA literature to AA members for the groups that hold meetings there? Two, can an AA group give money other than rent, more than the rent, to a club the group rents from? The group I'm in does that from time to time. Even thuogh the dlub does not ask for the money they are more than happy to take it, justifying taking it based on "each group should be autonomous . . ." but they ignore the "except in matters affectng other groups or AA as a whole." I asked the club president about it and he said he couldn't see how the club's accepting our group' money could hurt other groups or AA as a whole because it is such a small amount of money and is given only periodically. Thanks you.

ANOTHER ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
We too,pay for a free room.

We too,pay for a free room. We insisted & the owner consented to put it into the nurse's fund.
love,
mustafa

Anonymous
RE: We too.

A question presented at our AREA's pre-conference:
Should there be a limit set on income allowed from literature profit. We use this profit to run AA at the
center. My opinion is that we ought to be selling books
and literature at the exact cost of printing, processing
and shipping. That was AA's goal at one time. We have
moved away from that objective, and are moving further
away every year, again my opinion. Our New York operation
ought to be fully funded by individual and group contributions, without outside contributions from any source. Too much of the profit from literature comes
from outside sources. Any amount is too much, again my
opinion. ANONYMOUS.

Anonymous
7th

You ain't heard GSO begging lately? They have become irresponsible in NY.

Anonymous
money and spirituality

Yours is not a new comment, it has been bantered about for years, please take the time to read our Traditions and Concepts on self-support hopefully you too will conclude, as I have, that self-support ensures self-determination. New York does not need my money, I need to send it to them it is my right of particpation that is much much more important than anything else. If we do not fund the very services we have grown to expect from GSO, who will do so? Thanks for letting me share, Mike

quickplay0
Unaproved Litature

Why are we discussing an unapproved publication from a outside source its none of our business, It time to keep it simple or go simple.

Anonymous
Tradition 6

Tradition 6

“An AA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the AA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose”

First I have to ask our group, what is our “primary purpose”? I think it has something to do with carrying the message of AA. So what is the message of AA? I read in the AA pamphlet “the group” that the sole purpose of an AA group is the teaching and practice of AAs 12 steps. So it sounds like that is what our efforts should be devoted to.

Now the first part of tradition 6: Never endorse? Looks like my group has to stop talking about how great the treatment center or a particular counselor is for AA.

Never finance? Looks like my group should stop giving all that money to our local Alano club. If they really need more money, they should charge us more rent.

Never lend the AA name to any related facility! Ouch! I guess that meeting in the local hospital basement should quit calling itself the “……. …….. hospital meeting.

That last line, “lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose”. You mean to tell me that my precious group can’t handle money, property, and prestige! Individually, we are Doctors, lawyers, business men, teachers, and housewives. As individuals, we handle money, property and prestige everyday.

As a group, though we are not emotionally sober enough to handle it. We are all at different experience levels with practicing the AA principles. We are like my kids last week. We were at a large playground. All 3 of my children had one hand on one part of the park. They were all fussing over who got to play with it. I calmly said,” look around at all the playground equipment, why are you all fighting over this one piece”? The all looked at me and said, “but this is the one I want to play with”. Individually they were fine. As a group, they were not grown up enough to handle it, just like my group.

This is my experience with tradition 6, only my experience. Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
Tradition 6

That's right change the name. Zeke

Anonymous
It takes no experience to use

It takes no experience to use the Traditions & your donations to the Alano Club are in violation of the Sixth.
love,
mustafa

Anonymous
I recently chair a meeting Ibrought in a box of dounots .

i beung in a box of dountos at a meeting for refreshment I was not aware that a comming event was raising money and selling cookies as a fund raiser they was selling them during the meeting no big deal for me.I was pull over tpo the side and accuse of mudding the waters of the group and causeing termo. the person that was selling the cookies went behind my back and cause this. I went to some old timmers and all they say big deal. i feel t-6 is not

Post new comment