Steps

614 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
re rewrite

I’ve been reading about explorers in the sixteenth century and can see a parallel to those seeking new solutions for alcoholism. Setting a course for where no one has gone before, risking their own lives and the lives of those who trust them.

Alcoholics Anonymous’ twelve step program of recovery has worked well for me and many friends I have made along the way. Numbers show that a large number of alcoholics won’t join us for some reason. I’ve lost count of those who asked me to sponsor them that I never saw again. If something different stops them from drinking, all the better but I’ll admit I’m skeptical. Experience has taught me to be, but I don’t rule out the possibility that I will be looked upon as a “Flat Earth” man in a few decades or less. Those who lead are welcome to the rewards of discovery or the pain of failure. Sadly those ignoring warnings and harmed by following always seem to be in ample supply.

Those who choose to venture into the unknown are welcome to it. Tradition has it that they are unwelcome to be dishonest about it. If they represent their endeavor as something it is not, they join the snake oil salesman, the medicine show barkers, the miracle cancer cure quacks. Producing and promoting twelve steps that are different from ours and calling it AA or expecting AA to endorse it at any level puts them in that category. These risk-takers have frequently wanted to use AA’s good name and the resulting draw to provide them with recruits through our public information networks, central offices and area meeting schedules. I will continue to resist their efforts. Traditions six and ten prohibit us from supporting them. If they want recruits there as no shortage of alcoholics. With little effort they should be able to find them.

Anonymous
re controversies

Your friend didn't drink because of the thoughts or actions of others. We drink because we would rather drink than remain sober.

Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house. Alcoholics Anonymous p98.

peeweezers
Toronto Agnostic Controversy

I've been reading a lot about this, and it makes me very sad. There are alternate forms of the steps that people talk about, and I heard a great deal about them when I got sober in 1988, as well as about alternative sobriety groups. I ended up going with the traditional steps in the Book. The tolerance, though, was wonderful.

The "wrong" in Toronto was that the majority kicked out the minority, and they now are trying to hide it. The only set of intergroup minutes you cannot access on their website is the one where they voted to "exile" the agnostics and atheists. That was not a "LOVING God as he expresses himself in our group conscience." Rule #62 is the cure here, and I sure hope they figure it out. It's an international controversy, and their actions have affected AA as a whole.

Anonymous
Re writing the Big Book.

Many years ago a pal of mine joined AA, he got off the drink and after 3 months he felt great, and he told me that he was going to re write the Big Book. HE DRANK AGAIN AND IS STILL DRINKING AFTER 25 YEARS. Prioroities are important. When folk don't talk to others maybe resentments lurk! Good sposnsorshoip is also a helping hand! I looked up to old timers and sensed they knew more than me. I did what they suggested to me. I do not want to re write the AA literature, I write little pieces of my own experience into the Grapevine from time to time!

Anonymous
Steps to Recovery.

The ELEVATOR to sobriety, does not WORK. Please try the 12 steps!!!

Anonymous
Fourth from 12 and 12

Thank you Mr. Come on man! Until you your rant about how you couldn’t understand how anyone couldn’t understand the fourth step inventory in the Big Book I hadn’t thought about it for years. The simple text of the Step 4 is the instructions, “Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.” The Big Book outlines some common examples of character defects, self will run riot, instincts gone overboard. Common examples. I couldn’t be happier that I have shed a great deal of my uniqueness after joining AA for a while. I think normal is great. Not so before getting sober. I had no Mr. Brown or Mrs. Jones, no wife, no boss. I lived alone, I worked alone, and I drank alone. I liked my neighbors and they liked me. I had little in common with my family but we were polite each other. That eventually grew into a closer relationship but we still had little in common. I had friends. My finances were headed down the tube but sobriety intervened in time. I had an abundance of character defects keeping me from living a wonderful life I became capable of. The 12 and 12 helped me see them. When I finished my fifth step I knew absolutely what having the scales fall from ones eyes meant. I’ve tuned it up a little since but the change it made never left me and it has worked as promised.
The staff at an AA oriented rehab I went to tried their best to fit my puzzle pieces together to look like picture on their box. They finally gave up. I didn’t have common examples to please them either. If your Big Book has all the answers, more power to you. Mine has a mistake on page one of chapter one. The Hampshire Grenadier died because his small beer didn’t have ENOUGH alcohol in it to kill the germs and he died of a fever. Indeed an “Ominous warning” but different than the author intended. Despite Bill and me getting off on the wrong foot, I have read every word of the Big Book, most more than once and find it a darned good piece of information for drunks wanting to get sober, just not quite perfect. Bill didn’t either. That’s why he kept writing for the rest of his life.

Anonymous
RE: Ominous Warning

You described the Big Book as a darned good piece of information for drunks wanting to get sober . I warmly agree. By writing that more would be revealed, and that
the entire book was meant to be suggestive, it came
very close to perfection. Bill spent the rest of his
"revealing more". Nobody seems to know the meaning
of suggestive. Bill was no saint, just an alcoholic who
discovered a way out, and was determined to educate us
so the message could be passed on to others who
suffer. We have distorted that message, with dogma
and distortion. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
insignicant

When I took inventory of my own shortcomings, those (real or imagined) of others became insignicant.

nelsie
Step 2

Last night my sponsor and I were talking before the meeting about problems that come up for people like me who have been in the program a long time. Al shared his view of what Bill W. meant by use of the word "recovered," appearing 13 times in the Big Book. This has troubled me from time to time for I consider myself anything but recovered from alcoholism. I'm better (often, a lot better), but not cured.

In summary, Al said that time and effort in the program brings us closer to so-called "Normies," those folks who don't have a compulsion to drink alcohol to solve their problems. Alcoholics have the same day-to-day difficulties as Normies and have learned to deal with the consequences of not drinking. Al and I agree it is with that meaning in mind that Bill writes ..., we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body."

Early in my recovery process, I resented the second step phrase "could restore us to sanity" because at that time I was still afraid I was forever crazy. In truth, my religion did not get me sober, I was profoundly confused, and God gave me the gift of desperation. Other alcoholics helped me understand my crazy behavior by sharing their own stories. During my drinking career, my deeds failed completely to demonstrate what the 12x12 calls "soundness of mind."

This morning, I am grateful I did not drink yesterday and that years ago, I was given the gift of desperation.

Anonymous
A "Normal" person who happens to be an Alcoholic

AA has changed my life so much so, that I have been restored to sanity and I function normally in society. I am a normal person who happens to be an alcoholic. Sometimes, I think I'm more normal than the normies which is weird or ego. I love my normal life today thanks to AA. I have no debt, wonderful kids in school, friends, nice neighbors, I vote and volunteer not only in AA but, with organizations that help individuals with disabilities. My wife loves me because I show up in life and act responsible. The thought that Alcoholics can never be normal is erroneous unless it only applies to socially drinking which I can never do. I will always be grateful for the hand of AA that was there for me when I was sick. I try and remember I was never abnormal but, a sick person with the disease of alcoholism.

Anonymous
Fourth

A lot of us trying to recover have been confused by the instructions for an inventory in the big book. Fortunately Bill provided a completely different approach in "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions". I used it and saw a pattern of behaviors throughout my life that didn't work. Of course I had guilt from a number of dark secrets that the fourth and fifth hit like sunshine on a vampire but the larger benefit was acceptance of a much better set of life skills.

When I was eleven years old I was given twelve tools to face any problem in life"
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, Reverent. (The Boy Scout Law)

When I employ these, good things follow. People like me; they pick me for their team, they hire me, they loan me money at the bank, they say yes when I ask them for a date, they will loan me a lawnmower, they will vote for me if that’s what I want.

My alcoholism blocked me from using them. Dr Tebot, Bill's psychiatrist, had worked with thousands of alcoholics and found three traits we shared -self-centered, impatient and a low tolerance for frustration. The twelve items of the Boy Scout Law, the Ten Commandments, or avoiding the seven deadly sins all require an investment to achieve results. Exactly what many of us are incapable of. All that enters our minds is "I want it, I want it right now, and all hell is going to break loose if I don't get it." Steps three through nine overcame my "instincts run riot" that blocked my use of much better life skills, as it has done for those AA pioneers and the rest that came before me.

Anonymous
re 4th step confusion? come on man!

12x12 page 17: “the book Alcoholics Anonymous became the basic text of the fellowship and still is. This present volume proposes to broaden and deepen the understanding of the 12 steps as first written in the earlier work.
With the publication of the book “Alcoholics Anonymous” in 1939, the pioneering period ended and a prodigious chain reaction set in as the recovered alcoholics carried their message to still others (again, 12x12 page 17).
As the fourth page of the 4th edition of the big book says, the 12x12 is an interpretive commentary on the AA program by a cofounder(not anyone else). I believe the 12x12 is basically 24 essays written by Bill W about Bills comments on the steps, not how to take them. I think that’s why he wrote on page 17 of the 12x12 that the big book is still the fellowships basic text.
The directions for the 4th step in the big book are short and simple. It’s 8 pages long. Simply read it and do as it says, for example, the second full paragraph on page 64 says “first”(simply do what it says to do 1st). Then at the bottom of page 64 it says “we listed people, institutions, or principles with whom we were angry(that’s the column on page 65 that reads I’m resentful at). A list runs from top to bottom. Make the list! Then it says “we asked ourselves why we were angry”(that’s the “cause list on page 65”, do that next). Make that list next to the I’m resentful at list. And so on.
The self-esteem, security, ambitions, personal and sex relations, fear and pride column (3rd column or “affects my” column on page 65) is exactly what Bill elaborated on the 12x12 with his example of the basic instincts of life.
Now to me the most important column is the 4th column, the what’s my part column. They gave us a list of what may part is. Second paragraph on page 67, either we’ve been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking, or frightened. These are the shortcomings or defects described in steps 6 and 7, and what to continue to look for in steps 10 and 11 on big book pages 84-88. Look for yourself.
It’s very difficult to ask yourself all those questions from the 12x12 on a daily basis. It’s real simple to look for resentments, selfpity, selfish, dishonesty, and fear.
Then the big book continues to look at fear and sex. Resentment is the number 1 offender, fear is second and sex is third. So that’s what the big book focused on.
Anyway, to each his own. We are all free to work or not work the steps as we like. Let alcohol and alcoholism (dry drunk) determine whether we are working the program well enough. This is why I love the what’s on your mind forum, it helps open my mind to what others are doing or not doing in AA around the world.
Good luck and may God bless you,
Corey

Anonymous
RE: Fourth

After a dozen years of experience working with alcoholics, Bill wrote in the 12 & 12 exactly how to do the fourth step. Half measures avail us nothing, and no one else needs to see it, so why not do the inventory thoroughly and
completely. There are about thirty questions Bill writes
to ask of ourselves. Some of them did not pertain to me,
but many I had to claim for my own.
The questions are in the 12 & 12 around page 50. Bill
writes: How do I take an inventory of myself; how do I
go about this. He makes it clear and easy to understand.
Yeah, impatient, self centered, with a low tolerance
for frustration. I want what I want when I want I want it.
And if I don't get it, I'll show you. I will get drunk
and again the world will revolve around me.
And with all the natural instincts gone astray, it is
no wonder our lives were/are a mess. ANONYMOUS

noduis
Re: Fourth

This is from another site:
I believe the following quote is from a 1952 letter from Bill Wilson to Fr. Ed Dowling:
"A few people think that the Traditions aren't covered with enough dignity -- that posterity may not like them for that reason. However, we feel that we are writing for the information of alcoholics who ordinarily have no time to read anything much except as it concerns their own survival. Our idea is to publish the Twelve Steps and these Twelve Traditions in a small book to appear, I hope, by next fall. If we are able to do a fair job on the Steps, that will be helpful and, published along with the Traditions, they may act as a bait for reading the latter. However, we'll see."
Anonymous, who posted "re 4th step confusion? come on man!" has it right. I've noticed over the years that those who use the 12&12 to do the steps manage to find all the loopholes Bill included in it.

Anonymous
God's Will

I had spent half a lifetime working my way down the food chain, crashing cars, honing my character defects and winning vomiting contests. Somehow that didn’t turn out to be an effective apprenticeship to develop a keen awareness of God’s will for me and knowledge of how to carry that out. Fortunately for me, Alcoholics Anonymous spelled it out for me. “Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning… (Step 4).

Almost every member of AA I’ve had any experience with misses the idea that Step Three says “made a decision…” Three birds are setting on a branch and one decides to fly south. How many are left? Three. Nothing was said of his flying, just making a decision. He may still be setting there frozen solid when spring comes.

So, what is God’s will for me? Not drinking? Spend all of my waking hours visiting jails and institutions carrying AA’s message? Raise a million dollars for the poor? Running for political office to get God’s will made into the law of the land? Wage a holy war against the infidels, or gays or gay-haters? Throughout the ages people have ABSOLUTELY KNOWN that one of these (or the opposite of these) or just about anything that pops into their head is God’s will. According to the last sentence on page 63 of our instruction book, God’s will is for me to do step four followed by five through twelve.

Twelve. Now we are getting somewhere. “practice these principals… carry the message...” Now there’s a glimpse of Gods will. Not so fast. “Having had a spiritual awakening…” Has this happened? Have I checked this box, fulfilled this requirement before setting out practicing and carrying? Once again our instruction book comes through.

“These occurrences are phenomena. They ap¬pear to be in the nature of huge emotional displace¬ments and rearrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly cast to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin dominate them.”

Like many AA’s, I didn’t get this for a long time. I was too smart. I didn’t pay any attention to the simple instructions. I lived in an “I want to do this, but I SHOULD do THE RIGHT THING” world. A perfect formula for anger, frustration, rage, depression and I earned them all. Slowly, repeated use of the twelve steps has given me a start on this spiritual awakening, this vital spiritual experience. My wants have been changed. My attitude has been changed. My emotions have been changed.
God’s will? I believe it can be seen if I simply observe what has worked for others and for me. Treat others as I would like to be treated as I experience and enjoy all that life has to offer.

SamuelC
Step 4, fear inventory

my name is Samuel and I am an alcoholic. I decided to take the stairs on my way out of the building today. When I got to the last few stairs of the last staircase on the first floor, I fell down. I twisted my ankle but got back up and walked to the store. God showed me I have a pattern of doing this when I get scared. When I get scared, it feels like there is a strong wind trying to blow me over and make me fall down. I have felt this way before, but until today I had never fallen down. I have written a fear inventory in the past. I rely on God but that doesn't get rid of my fear. I read in our literature that freedom from fear is more important than freedom from want. Now I believe it is true. I feel that those that have gone before me have achieved freedom from fear. I would like to achieve freedom from fear. God's will be done. Thank you for letting me share. your friend in recovery, Sam, alcoholic

Anonymous
JAIL

DONT JAIL ME DRINK. SEAL NAVY
A.A. D.A.V. SARASOTA, FL

Anonymous
a bar is a jail. a bar is a

a bar is a jail. a bar is a courthouse. a law exam is bar. axem

Anonymous
Spiritual Awakenings

"...as a result of these steps." Bill W. had a spiritual awakening before he even started AA. I think a newcomer should not worry too much about when the spiritual awakening will happen. I had a spiritual awakening before I even knew what a step was. I believe most people have had one already but, they just don't know it yet. The majority of people will have the educational variety. Not all spiritual awakenings come with ecstatic feelings of bliss, bells or lightning bolts. Mine was similar to Bill’s and not the norm. I don't feel it was better than anyone else's or I had sacred powers because of it. The idea of spiritual awakenings has been around since humans developed an ego and needed to escape from it, and because of this need all the gods on earth appeared in the heavens.

Anonymous
re: spiritual awakening

My spiritual awakening was not like Bill's grandiose Cecil B. DeMille style or yours but, just a simply awareness I was addicted to a drug and it was possible I could live my life without alcohol and in my case without conforming to God theology. I was nervous at first because I heard negative things about AA. Things like its a Christian brainwashing bait and switch program. How wrong I was. My home group was full of non-believers and believers and no one seemed to care what one's higher power was or was not. When I was told I didn't have to believe in God I was so relieved and that's the moment my recovery started. That's the wonderful thing about AA. I would say the majority of meetings I attend are cool and open-minded. Sure, every group has their know-it-alls and control freaks but, people tolerate them too because they realize and can see the hurt and suffering in those people who need to be like that. Thanks for the post

Anonymous
re-spiritual awakenings

I've always heard spiritual awakenings come in many shapes and sizes. They mean different things to different people. People usually describe their awakenings using the language that logically follows their belief systems. A spiritual awakening by a Christian might be explained by having a "Divine love through Jesus experience" A Buddhist in AA might say that a spiritual experience will occur by "Changing thoughts and negative beliefs which will lead one to see the peace, love, harmony and balance in all living things." Atheists and agnostics can have spiritual awakenings too. There is no pecking orders in spiritual awakenings. Whether a person has a program "By the Book" or a program that "Beats to their own drum" Spiritual awakenings will touch everyone's lives equally and eventually if they have a desire to stop drinking. That's why we should respect all members in AA. Maturity in AA is a good thing. Having a sense of sober superiority because one things they are doing it the "right way" is not helpful but, immature and this attitude hurts AA as a whole.

Anonymous
re-re-re spiritual

Thanks for your sincere post. I always gravitated to the members in the rooms who demonstrated the principals through their actions. I couldn't careless what they believed in. I like the diversity in my home group. I was especially grateful for the atheists and non-Christian members because being raised in the Christ church my mind was sure it had all the truths the world would ever hold. I was wrong of course. Although listening to other points of view challenged my beliefs, they strengthened them at the same time. Thanks for you post!

clu1992
re anonymous

so is "your " way the right way? LOL!

clu1992
re anonymous

so is "your " way the right way? LOL!

Anonymous
The alternative

I have been lurking here for a couple of months and have a question. It sounds like about half of the people say to work the steps. The other half says you don't have to but to do what works for them. The freedom sure looks good but what do you do? I'm serious what do you no step guys do? That - just don't drink - doesn't work or why would anybody bother with rehab or AA?

Anonymous
To Alternative question

You asked what no-step guys do. There are many things we do, such as, welcoming the new person, joining a group, making coffee, chairing a meeting, volunteering at central office, applying the principals in our lives and taking care of our health. I love the slogans and firmly believe that no matter what happens to me during the day drinking will never solve anything but only drive me to my ruin. Paraphrasing January 6, "The most important decision I have made was my decision to stop drinking. Can I forget this for one minute?" I had to change myself, people, places and things and start a new path. I had to teach myself how to think positive and to follow goodness. I personally, took up bike riding and I lost 55 pounds. I stay away from junk food and excess sugar and avoid negative people. Thanks and just because someone does not choose the steps, doesn't mean they are doing nothing

Anonymous
I just stopped drinking, I

I just stopped drinking, I was dry! I trained in a gtm alsmost daily. Endorfins pored into my blood stream I felt great. I did not drink, I went to AA, and trained in the gym. I felt fine, so why should I do the steps?

Then I stopped training and I felt flat and down, and the exercise I gave my mind was jumping to conclusions about the faults of others.

I did the Joe and Charlie Big Book Study and got into action on the 12 steps. I am fine now. Page 64 of the BB says "when the spiritual malady is overvome, the mental and physical come right!!" Now I have the promises in my life. I was just desert dry for 22 years, Then I practised the 12 steps as the BB suggestes and I am fine niw, thank God.

Anonymous
The Alternative?

IMHO the key is willingness, as long as you are willing to keep an open mind about doing the work at some point and you keep an open mind about what you hear at meetings and of course you stay honest about where that first drink may take you..you are on a good path...If someone is saying they don't need the steps, that is one thing...if they are telling you that you don't need them....I personally would put a little distance between them and look for better support ....remember anybody can find a seat at AA

Anonymous
Alternative.

I quit going to meetings for about 6 years, didn't drink while I was away but I was not a very happy or positive person. There was no emotional or spiritual growth. I went back to meetings got a new sponsor and have been working the steps. I feel much better now, the steps are a blueprint for a much better way of life.

Anonymous
Alternative "paths"

As a friend puts it succinctly, he doesn't drink, goes to meetings regularly and listens, and over time his life has gotten better, in part because he hears some things that apply to him that he can put to use in his own life to make it better. Without any formal steps. He is one of the more serene people I know, a big change from the hopeless drunk he was when he landed in AA 20+ years ago. The 12 steps were fleshed out by Bill W. from the 6 principles followed by the Oxford group (see his Grapevine article, "12 Steps in 30 Minutes," how a publication deadline "divinely inspired" his efforts to spell those principles out more clearly), but those 6 principles can be found in the writings of most if not all of the major religions, the only difference being the means by which we effect those suggested changes in our life.

Anonymous
re alternate paths

I attend a detox meeting and a jail meeting weekly. over the last 20 years I have met many in detox or jail that were on the don't drink and go to meetings plan. the insanity of aclohol returned and they drank. I have yet to meet a member of AA in detox or jail that was practicing the 12 steps of AA as a way of life.
It's none of my business what individual members of AA do to stay sober. I'm just posting my 20 years of experience.

Anonymous
re alternative

Great question! I truly don't know what some individuals do for sobriety. From what I have experienced over the years, an alcoholic of my type seems to try every method besides working the steps to solve their drink problem. After I failed repeatedly, alcohol beat me into a state of willingness. With that willingness I admitted compete defeat (step 1). Came to believe that God could solve my problem (step 2). Decided to let him (step 3). Took an honest inventory of my resentments, fears, and sex (step 4). Admitted what I found to God and another human being (step 5). Became willing to have God remove the defects I found in my inventory (step 6). Asked God to remove them (step 7). Looked at my inventory and became willing to make amends for my past wrongs (step 8). Began making those amends wherever I could, unless it would injure someone else (step 9). As I made my amends I continued practicing a daily inventory and practicing daily prayer and meditation (step 10 and 11, big book pages 84-88). Finally after having a spiritual awakening as a result of the first 11 steps, I started carrying the message of how I practice the AA program of recovery to other alcoholics who want it and applying the steps in my daily life.
Simple but not easy. It’s a formula that works for all alcoholics who are willing and honest enough to try. If you are truly an alcoholic and have found a happy sobriety by some other way, by all means continue what you are doing. If you are an alcoholic who as yet has not found a happy sobriety, try AA’s program of action (12 steps). The directions for our suggested program are found in the first 164 pages of our book, “Alcoholics Anonymous. The choice of working AA’s steps are up to each member of AA. As it was put by our cofounder, there are only two authorities in AA. God who is waiting for you to do his will and Alcohol who will kill you if you don’t.
Good luck to you and God bless you,
Corey

Anonymous
Re:alternative ...of my type?

Hi you said, "an alcoholic of my type" What exactly is your type? How many types are there? I thought the definition of alcoholism was quite clear. Are there different types of alcoholics? Are we talking about alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence? A person who is a Binge drinker or Blackout drinker are not types to me. I know there are different economic, mental, emotional, intellectual social types attached to an alcoholic but, I didn't know alcoholics are rated on a type scale. I thought if you cross the invisible line you cross it. It doesn't say how far one crosses it dictates a type which places the person who crosses it in position above or below others. We are all equals in AA is what I have come to understand. Ego likes types.
You also mentioned, "As it was put by our cofounder, there are only two authorities in AA. God who is waiting for you to do his will and Alcohol who will kill you if you don’t." That of course was Bill's opinion. This opinion is not necessary based on fact, because we know its not true today. Members live fruitful, loving and meaningful lives without God's help while at the same time are positive members in home groups around the country. I'm one of them. Been in my home group happily sober for over 30 years. Thanks

Anonymous
re 30 years

doing it wrong for thirty years doesn't make it right. i should know, i did it wrong for 15 years.

clu1992
re types

Yes there are types of alcoholics. google 5 types of alcoholics.

Anonymous
re-types One type different stages

Hi, I read the article you looked at on WebMD. I agree with the person who mentioned there is only one type of alcoholic. The "Invisible Line" analogy is very common in AA. There are stages of alcoholism sure but, types no. To me, what the article was talking about was subtypes of a alcoholic which are different. It doesn't matter what subtype one is; one is still alcoholic. Should we have 5 different AA programs for each subtype? I like the one program for alcoholics who may be at different stages of the disease. If you really want to be technical, no one really knows much about alcoholism for sure. Science is still researching the issue and learning more. Some people believe there is no such thing as alcoholism but, people prone to addiction have a mental illness or brain disorder and one day medication will cure the brain disorder and allow people to drink again. I won't be standing in line at the drug store for that pill anytime soon. Looking for the differences between people instead of the commonalities is not a winning strategy for peace of mind. Do we only offer the hand of AA to the subtype that matches our subtype?

Anonymous
re types/stages/semantics

Types/subtypes, sounds like semantics to me. If we are in AA and talking about alcoholics as AA sees it, there is definitely types of alcoholics. Here is a list types of alcoholics from AA’s textbook “Alcoholics Anonymous”.
Page xxv describes the type of alcoholic that is hopeless. Page xxv also talks of types with whom other methods had failed completely. Page xxix talks of the type that does not respond to the ordinary psychological approach. Big book page xxx lists 5 types of alcoholics. The author of that chapter was a neurologist and had worked with over 40,000 alcoholics, I trust his opinion. Page 34 describes a stage or type of alcoholic that can recover on a nonspiritual basis. Page 44 talks about the atheist and agnostic types. Page 30 talks about alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. 97 is the type that is able and willing to get well. Page 108 describes the type of alcoholic a wife had better leave.
These are the types I found in 5 minutes that actually say “types”. You can believe whatever you want. I have faith in God, AA, and AA conference approved literature.

Corey

Anonymous
re-types

You shared, "I have faith in God, AA, and AA conference approved literature." Does this statement serve AA or your ego? It is important to have humility in recovery. We should not feel a sense of superiority over others or a hold a belief that we are more sober than others because of the way we get sober. We are all equals in AA. "By the book" members relapse too especially when misfortune touches them. Talk is cheap, the real stuff is in our actions.

clu1992
re humility?

i heard this said once and i believe it to be true, "humility is something you have right up to the moment you think you have it. I'm sorry that my faith in God, AA, and AA liturature disturbs you, get over yourself and move on.

Anonymous
re-types-google

You learn something new every day!

The alternative

The BB states the program is meant to be suggestive only. In my limited time (13 years) it appears to me those who follow the suggestions are happy, joyous and free from the bondage of self. So I try to follow the suggestions and live the program daily. I live today with out regret of something I did yesterday, most of the time.
Find a person that lives the program and you will find a person that will be honest with you.
Hang in there, it really does get a lot better everyday.

Anonymous
‘Alcoholics Anonymous’ or 'God Unanimous’

I came to the rooms of ‘Alcoholics Anonymous’ and unfortunately for me, an atheist, found it to be ‘God Unanimous’!!! I understand the program of AA is spiritually based, but I did not realize the spirituality of AA’ers is for the most part based on a strong belief in God or some Higher Power. Oh well, so much for my ‘peace of mind’ in my meetings. I do have thick skin and am able to handle this most challenging exercise in patience and tolerance.

LoisJean
God- unanimous

In part, the word 'spiritual' means relating to the soul. In part, the 'soul' is defined as a person's emotional or moral nature. If you are really an atheist you understand these definitions and should have no quarrel with them. When you apply the 12 Steps around these definitions there shouldn't be any problem with a term such as 'higher nature'...used often by atheist members of A.A. AND if any A.A. member at your meetings is having a problem with the idea that you can prove there is no god then it's their problem, isn't it.

Remember, the most important thing is to not pick up that first drink.

Anonymous
re-GU

You said, "Remember, the most important thing is to not pick up that first drink." So true! It's the bottom line. No matter what happens to us throughout our recoveries we must not pick up the first drink one day at a time. Some members like to be spiritual giants in AA, solving the answers to the great cosmic questions or chasing spiritual highs, while others find fulfillment with paying their bills on time and experiencing the joys in the world, For me, waking up next to my wife, chatting about day to day things, seeing my daughter graduate college or just enjoying that first cup of coffee is fulfilling. Why does anyone need anything more than this in sobriety? This is something I don't understand but, I don't need too either.

Anonymous
Re:AA or GU

Technically your post is in the wrong comment section being this is for the STEPS, however that said, I'm glad you have thick skin because it will come in handy. If you live in the states, AA meetings usually reflect the demographics of its areas. Like in the south you can get collard greens at McDonalds or in New Mexico you can get Green Chili on your cheeseburger. Same true in AA. In the cities or progressive states you can find agnostic and atheist AA groups. Being an atheist won't raise an eyebrow. In the bible belt you may encounter hearing the name Jesus. In an upper middle class suburban AA meeting you might hear therapy talk or quotes from new age gurus. I lived in an area where I was told I didn't belong in AA because I didn't mention god or the steps in my lead at the podium. In another area the plug was pulled on me being I said the word "pot" Love and tolerance are our code but, some people can't see the forest sitting in the middle of the trees.

Anonymous
RE: Re: AA or GU

There ought not be special interest groups in Alcoholics
Anonymous. Anyone entering A.A. anywhere would find the
same general format. The meeting would follow a natural course and would become a specialized group, without being
labeled as such.
I remember in the mid seventies when the "young people
in A.A." wanted to separate from the mainstream. And they
did that, violating the first tradition. I feel that if
most of the members are young people the group could be
a young peoples meeting without it being labeled as such.
When asked what is considered "young", I am told "anyone
with more growing to do". So why separate the "young"
from the "not so young"? I feel that some of the "sponsor
types" stay with the young people's groups to maintain
their "status".
If we allow each group to evolve according to the
area or region, fewer alcoholics will be left out. But
groups must obey the second tradition and follow a
true, fully informed group conscience, not just the
wishes of a few.

Anonymous
There's room

Good, I love atheists. They're thinkers. Think you are a thinker? Think about this. Visualize a pie chart. The circle represents all human knowledge. A small slice at the top represents all of it that I know that I know. Clear so far? Beside it is another slice which contains everything that I know that I don’t know. A little tougher but no, it’s not a joke or a word game. I can’t speak Russian for example so that goes in the second slice, OK? Something I know that I don’t know. So what’s the rest of the circle? What I don’t know that I don’t know. No, it’s still not a game. I’m not particularly clever and I got it. An area where I don’t even know what the questions are let alone what the answers are. An area of information that I don’t even know that there are questions, let alone what they are. The amount of information in it is very real and it’s huge. If you haven’t gotten it yet, perhaps it’s easy to see an infant in this picture. His two slices are tiny but they have grown a little by the time he reaches my age. Recovery occurs in the third part of the pie, what I don’t know that I don’t know. It can only be seen looking back into it. That is because recovery occurs experientially. By experiencing. It is a result of doing not by thinking. I had 16 years of education and couldn’t read the 201 word instruction sheet hanging on the wall either. I finally learned and the rewards have been extraordinary.

lunchbunch
Atheists

I too love atheists & agnostics. They think, talk and argue more about "god" than any other group of people I know. I learn a lot by reading and listening to their posts and conversations.

Anonymous
re: athiests in our group-thank God

I agree with you. Some of the most spiritual people I have met in AA are atheists and agnostics. I think in a way its because they have to fight for their sobriety. Believer's like myself don't have to worry about being attacked and threatened at meetings. We shouldn't treat anyone as a second or third class AA member because they think differently. Its awful the way we treat people who aren't interested in reading the Big Book or don't find it necessary to believe in God to stay sober. I'm sure Bill and Bob are out there somewhere shaking their heads. We had a countdown at our home group the other night. The first five members that stood up were all atheists and agnostics. The first man to stand up had 42 years, followed by 39, 36, 29, and 25 years. I was the first believer to stand up with 24 years. I'm grateful those members are in our group. They really set an open-minded positive tone that everyone picks up on. The majority of members in my group are believers but, its ludicrous to treat any member as inferior.

Anonymous
re: re:athiests in our group-thank God

You said, "...its ludicrous to treat any member as inferior." Thanks man. So true. My sponsor died an atheist sober 37 years. He was the most spiritual man I had ever met. He never once criticized mainstream AA or discouraged me from reading the big book or working the steps. He encouraged me to follow the path that made the most sense to me. Being a Christian it was easy to follow Bill and Bob's path. This is what works with me to this day. I remember when my head would get all scrambled up from time to time he'd asked me what step I was on because he new that was my language in recovery in which I was comfortable with. He was a humanist and believed in love and the power that people have when they follow goodness and truth. I never met a more humble man in my life. He didn't believe in an afterlife but I do and in my afterlife we will meet again. Grateful to those on this site who share even if I see things differently.

Post new comment