Heard At Meetings

696 replies [Last post]
admin

Share those gems of humor, wisdom, beauty or strangeness picked up a meetings.

View all topics

Anonymous
Joke

The definition of a "functional alcoholic": an alcoholic whose spouse is working.

Anonymous
HEARD AT MEETING

"I used to live on the Riviera - on my Buick Riviera on 5th Street" - Scooter, Alb. N.M.

Anonymous
Searching literature

I am looking for the origin of the following statement: " Sobriety is the most important thing in your life without exception. You may believe that your job, your home life or one of many other things come first. But consider, if you do not get sober and stay sober chances are that you won't have a job, a family or even a life. If you are convinced that everything in life depends on your sobriety, you just have so much more chance of getting sober and staying sober. If you put other things first you are only hurting your chances of attaining continuous and contented sobriety". I do know that this is from the Akron manual but what I would like to find out is if it has been printed in any of our literature?

clu1992
akron manual

Yes, that statement is from the akron manual. It also seems to have been adopted into a pamphlet in great Britain call the “15 points” written around 1979. you can read it at http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.eu/WelcomeDocs/15_Points.pdf other than that, I don't recall reading that paragraph in any AA conference approved literature in north america. I think it's in some local pamphlets like the "tablemate", "detoit pamphlet", and "washington DC pamphlet".

After reading your post, I re-read the akron manual. I found it interesting how they described the 12 steps as laws and rules. It’s so interesting, that I included it in this post.
“The Twelve Steps
Alcoholics Anonymous is based on a set of laws known as the Twelve Steps. Years of experience have definitely proved that those who live up to these rules remain sober. Those who gloss over or ignore any one rule are in constant danger of returning to a life of drunkenness. Thousands of words could be written on each rule. Lack of space prevents, so they are merely listed here. It is suggested that they be explained by the sponsor. If he cannot explain them he should provide someone who can.”

Anonymous
Heard at meeting

From-How it works- But many of them do not recover if they have the capacity to be honest?????? Hayes M. Cumberland Md.

Anonymous
Re heard at meetings

If your not honest with yourself, how are you going to find out who you are, why you did the things you did, and what kind of a person you can be? If your not honest with yourself, then you can't find the answer as to why you can't stay sober. If anything you'll remain dry or go on a big drunk. Why torture yourself by not doing your step 4 and 5? In order to live a happy life, we must clean up the garbage and let it go. Read about steps 4,5,6,7,8,9. This will tell you why we must be honest in order to live a happy sober life. At least this is what I found when I did my step work. This is your life your talking about. Do what you want, but life is not meant to be all roses and daisies. We must go through thorns and thistles before we go into the field of roses and daisies. Don't forget about the occasional bees that sting every now and again. Beware the easier softer way does not work, as well if your not honest with yourself and others you did not change except you remain dry, miserable, and really anyone would lack the ability to deal with life on life's terms without the tools of recovery.

I hope this helps

Anonymous

Anonymous
Wise

I heard at a meeting from a wise old man, when he introduced himself by saying " my name is Johnny and I don't have a problem with alcohol I have a problem with Johnny". Straight and too the point thanks Johnny.

Anonymous
Bottom

You've hit your bottom when you stop digging.

Anonymous
104987-11-3 manufacturer

Tacrolimus (also FK-506 or fujimycin, swop names Prograf, Advagraf, Protopic) is an immunosuppressive drug that is primarily used after allogeneic organ move to compress the vocation of the passive's immune approach and so bring the danger of medium rejection. It is also occupied in a up to date preparation in the treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema), harsh refractory uveitis after bone marrow transplants, exacerbations of token metamorphose disease, and the fleece condition vitiligo.
It is a 23-membered macrolide lactone discovered in 1984 from the fermentation decoction of a Japanese filth representative that contained the bacteria Streptomyces tsukubaensis. It reduces interleukin-2 (IL-2) putting out during T-cells.
History
Tacrolimus was discovered in 1984; it was among the opening macrolide immunosuppressants discovered, preceded at near the disclosure of rapamycin (sirolimus) on Rapa Nui (Easter Atoll) in 1975.<>] It is produced by way of a type of loam bacterium,Streptomyces tsukubaensis.<>] The name tacrolimus is derived from 'Tsukuba macrolide immunosuppressant'.<>]
Tacrolimus was beforehand approved via the Food and Narcotize Management (FDA) in 1994 someone is concerned make use of in liver transplantation; this has been extended to comprehend kidney, affection, uncomfortable bowel, pancreas, lung, trachea, skin, cornea, bone marrow, and limb transplants.
Availability
The branded type of the drug is owned next to Astellas Pharma, and is sold secondary to the trade names Prograf assumed twice common,Advagraf, a continual release formulation allowing in the good old days daily dosing, and Protopic (Eczemus in Pakistan on Brookes Pharma), the topical formulation.<>] Advagraf is at one's fingertips in 0.5, 1, 3 and 5 mg capsules, the not bad is concentrations of 0.1% and 0.03%.
A second once-daily formulation of tacrolimus is in Development 3 clinical trials in the U.S. and Europe. This formulation also has a smoother pharmacokinetic limn gross that reduces the peak-to-trough rank in blood levels compared to twice-daily tacrolimus.<>] Materials from the primary Viewpoint 3 trial in deep-rooted kidney transplant patients showed that this once-daily formulation was non-inferior in efficacy and safety compared to twice-daily tacrolimus.<>] A second Juncture 3 litigation in de novo patients is ongoing.<>]
Mechanism of action
Tacrolimus is chemically known as a macrolide. In T-cells, activation of the T-cell receptor normally increases intracellular calcium, which acts via calmodulin to get started calcineurin. Calcineurin then dephosphorylates the transcription element NF-AT (atomic agent of activated T-cells), which moves to the pith of the T-cell and increases the motion of genes coding in behalf of IL-2 and related cytokines. Tacrolimus prevents the dephosphorylation of NF-AT.<>] In detail, Tacrolimus reduces peptidyl-prolyl isomerase occupation by binding to the immunophilin FKBP12 (FK506 binding protein) creating a uncharted complex. This FKBP12-FK506 complex interacts with and inhibits calcineurin and so inhibiting both T-lymphocytesignal transduction and IL-2 transcription.<>] Although this action is similar to ciclosporin, studies take shown that the occurrence of keen repudiation is reduced nearby tacrolimus exigency execrate done with ciclosporin.<>0] Although short-term immunosuppression with an eye to patient and graft survival is found to be be like between the two drugs, tacrolimus results in a more favorable lipid profile, and this may be undergoing leading long-term implications given the prognostic act upon of also brush on implant survival.<>1]

Anonymous
104987-11-3 manufacturer

Tacrolimus (also FK-506 or fujimycin, swop names Prograf, Advagraf, Protopic) is an immunosuppressive drug that is primarily used after allogeneic organ move to compress the vocation of the passive's immune approach and so bring the danger of medium rejection. It is also occupied in a up to date preparation in the treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema), harsh refractory uveitis after bone marrow transplants, exacerbations of token metamorphose disease, and the fleece condition vitiligo.
It is a 23-membered macrolide lactone discovered in 1984 from the fermentation decoction of a Japanese filth representative that contained the bacteria Streptomyces tsukubaensis. It reduces interleukin-2 (IL-2) putting out during T-cells.
History
Tacrolimus was discovered in 1984; it was among the opening macrolide immunosuppressants discovered, preceded at near the disclosure of rapamycin (sirolimus) on Rapa Nui (Easter Atoll) in 1975.<>] It is produced by way of a type of loam bacterium,Streptomyces tsukubaensis.<>] The name tacrolimus is derived from 'Tsukuba macrolide immunosuppressant'.<>]
Tacrolimus was beforehand approved via the Food and Narcotize Management (FDA) in 1994 someone is concerned make use of in liver transplantation; this has been extended to comprehend kidney, affection, uncomfortable bowel, pancreas, lung, trachea, skin, cornea, bone marrow, and limb transplants.
Availability
The branded type of the drug is owned next to Astellas Pharma, and is sold secondary to the trade names Prograf assumed twice common,Advagraf, a continual release formulation allowing in the good old days daily dosing, and Protopic (Eczemus in Pakistan on Brookes Pharma), the topical formulation.<>] Advagraf is at one's fingertips in 0.5, 1, 3 and 5 mg capsules, the not bad is concentrations of 0.1% and 0.03%.
A second once-daily formulation of tacrolimus is in Development 3 clinical trials in the U.S. and Europe. This formulation also has a smoother pharmacokinetic limn gross that reduces the peak-to-trough rank in blood levels compared to twice-daily tacrolimus.<>] Materials from the primary Viewpoint 3 trial in deep-rooted kidney transplant patients showed that this once-daily formulation was non-inferior in efficacy and safety compared to twice-daily tacrolimus.<>] A second Juncture 3 litigation in de novo patients is ongoing.<>]
Mechanism of action
Tacrolimus is chemically known as a macrolide. In T-cells, activation of the T-cell receptor normally increases intracellular calcium, which acts via calmodulin to get started calcineurin. Calcineurin then dephosphorylates the transcription element NF-AT (atomic agent of activated T-cells), which moves to the pith of the T-cell and increases the motion of genes coding in behalf of IL-2 and related cytokines. Tacrolimus prevents the dephosphorylation of NF-AT.<>] In detail, Tacrolimus reduces peptidyl-prolyl isomerase occupation by binding to the immunophilin FKBP12 (FK506 binding protein) creating a uncharted complex. This FKBP12-FK506 complex interacts with and inhibits calcineurin and so inhibiting both T-lymphocytesignal transduction and IL-2 transcription.<>] Although this action is similar to ciclosporin, studies take shown that the occurrence of keen repudiation is reduced nearby tacrolimus exigency execrate done with ciclosporin.<>0] Although short-term immunosuppression with an eye to patient and graft survival is found to be be like between the two drugs, tacrolimus results in a more favorable lipid profile, and this may be undergoing leading long-term implications given the prognostic act upon of also brush on implant survival.<>1]

gmark2
from my sponsot

After i complained to my sponsor about behavior of people in AA.

His response was :

Just remember...well people dont come here.

Anonymous
resentments

Much like credit cards, u either take care of them quickly or else the interest will begin to compound and bury u.

clu1992
Too busy

"If your too busy for AA, perhaps your too busy"

"alcoholism is the 2x4 God used to get my attention"

"The big book was designed to change the alcoholic, not the other way around"

Anonymous
From sponsor

"If ever you are in a position to think, don't. Call me instead."

Anonymous
Did you notice in the Big Book that...

Did you notice in the Big Book that there is no Chapter called INTO FEELING!!! or INTO THINKING!!!

There is a Chapter called INTO ACTION!!!

Anonymous
Can't make it to a meeting just got out of rehab

Stuck at the house really need to get to a meeting soon

Anonymous
Death by DUVET!!!

I heard man say at AA that when he hid under the blankets and refused to get up out of bed, his sponsor called it DEATH BY DUVET!!!

Anonymous
heard at meetings

we're all sick even those that are not alclholics

Anonymous
chip statments

give up the fight and pick up a white, 30 days and 3000 nights,90 days the blood starts coming back in the alcohol stream, 6mos. mellow yellow its ok to be mellow, 90days growing green if you're not growing you'er going, and the sweet covenant blue.

Anonymous
3rd. Step.

When I took the Tird Step, I put myself under NEW MANAGEMENT

Heard at a meeting

I know I will die an alcoholic , but not from alcohalism

Anonymous
Heard it today

Heard someone with 30 days of sobriety share that "this is so easy i do not know why I hav'nt done it before". At first i was going straight to oh yeah keep coming back and you will see how easy this is then i realized that it is easy I make it difficult with my magnifying mind. Trust God clean house do not drink alcohol not matter what serve others one day at a time. So even though i may have decades of time her 30 days taught me to Keep it Simple sweetie!'love it

Anonymous
we share our experience

I printed a number of bookmarks and left them around the table.

We share our experience –

“What I think…..” Your thinking
“I think what we do……” Your analysis
“I think what people should do…” Your advice
“What I should do…” Your uncommitted speculation
“What I do is….” Your experience
“What I have done…” Your experience
“When … happens, I feel….” Your experience
“What I read in the Big Book….” Our (shared) experience

Anonymous
Hurting

Can't find an online aa meeting. I'm going to end up a bigger mess

Anonymous
Hurting!

If you cannot find ONLINE AA MEETING why not consider ringing or meeting another AA member. I learned a long time ago in Ireland that wehre 2 or 3 or more alcoholics meet that is is an AA MEETING!!! It is not an AA GROUP.

We meet in planes, trains and automobiles, in submarines in war situaations as well. In jail, hospitals, in rehab and on street corners.

You are not a mess at all, you are an alcoholic like me, trying to live one day at a time with the critch of alcohol.

Don't berate yourself, you are doing well, you are sharing in the Grapevine, and as they say, your sharing will go viral, all over the world! So thanks for your very hoest sharing. God bless.

Anonymous
Rep: Hurting

There are some good apps out there, the one I like is called "recovery chat " and has some good support from your peers. It doesn't replace face to face meetings but is another good tool for your toolbox.

Anonymous
Thanks for the tip

good app

Anonymous
online meetings

Go to aaintergroup.org for a list of online groups and meetings.

Anonymous
Correction - that's

Correction - that's aa-intergroup.org for online meetings.

Anonymous
Re: Hurting

Early in my sobriety, before the advent of computers, cell phones, etc, I was in an area with no AA meetings. I was asked two questions by the person on the other end of the phone like:
"Do you have a Big Book?
My answer: Yes.
Do you have a Higher Power?
I'm not sure.
Use your Big Book and my Higher Power and you'll be all right."
If you don't have a Big Book you can find one on line, it had detailed instructions on how to stay sober without meetings.
And if you don't have a Higher Power of your own you can use the one I've been using for over forty years.

Anonymous
Short and to the point.

Heard in a meeting that: Bill W was asked by reporter to summarize AA in 10 words or less. Bill responded "Don't drink, be kind."
I've tried to document the quote attributed to Bill W, without success. I'll keep trying. In the meantime,
DON'T DRINK, BE KIND.
R

Anonymous
Think your different?

When I first walked through the doors of AA, I told them that I was different. The response I received was, AA has a wrench to fit every nut! That was in 1983.... One Day At A Time!

Jim H.

Anonymous
Personal perception...

"It is not what I SEE!!!But what I THINK when I LOOK!!!"

Anonymous
My Ego

EGO=Blinding Attachemnt to Myself!!!

Anonymous
Ego

EGO = Edging God Out

captdeep6
One By One, Two by Two

One by one, two by two,
Show a little love is all you do.
In God's world his will be done,
Yet, until we love, we're all alone.

Help a neighbor, lend a hand.
Show a smile and understand.
God wants everyone to be
full of love and charity.

Don't hate the day.
Don't raise your hand.
Don't harm yourself.
Don't spoil this land.

Come the morn kneel down and pray.
Seek his guidance through your day.
With heart and mind and spirit one,
Forevermore thy will be done.

One by one ,two by two
Show a little love is all you do.

written years ago by the late Berle Ives

Anonymous
Good sponsor/sponsee relationships

The speaker said his sponsor told him, "The best definition of a good sponsor/sponsee relationship is when the sponsor stays sober."

Bill K.

clu1992
drunk in a hole

Drunk in a hole

A drunk fell in a hole and couldn't get out. A businessman went
by. The drunk called out for help. The businessman threw him
some money and told him get yourself a ladder. But the drunk
could not find a ladder in this hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The drunk said, \"Help, I can't get out.\" The
doctor gave him drugs and said, \"Take this, it will relieve the
pain.\" The drunk said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was
still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the drunks cries for
help. He stopped and said, \"How did you get there? Were you born
there? Were you put there by your parents? Tell me about yourself,
it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.\" So the drunk talked
with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he
said he'd be back next week. The drunk thanked him, but he was
still in his hole.

A priest came by the drunk called for help. The priest gave him a
Bible and said I'll say a prayer for you. He got down on his knees
and prayed for the drunk, then left. The drunk was very grateful,
he read the Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovered alcoholic happened to be passing by.the drunk cried
out, \"Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole.\" Right away, the
recovered alcoholic jumped in the hole with him. The drunk said,
\"What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here.\" But the
recovered alcoholic said, \"It's okay, I've been here before, I
know the way out.\"

Janisl
Lovely

Lovely

Anonymous
Correct!

Correct!

torquess
Drunk in a hole

Wonderful... :)

lcromano
drunk in a hole

Love it :)

Anonymous
Drunk in a hole

I like your story. But once an alcoholic you are always an alcoholic that is recovering. The only way to totally be recovered is to be dead.

Anonymous
Old timer!

A man asked his sponsor, "Hey George, how do I become an old timer?"

George said, "Don't drink. Don't die!!!

Anonymous
re drunk in a hole

Be dead, not what my Big Book says.

“We of Alcoholics Anonymous are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.”

I joined them thirty four years ago and have remained symptom-free (sober) since. I could choose to end my recovery but it doesn't mean that I don't have it.

Recovering. Recovered. Words. Just words but I choose to be consistent with those written in the Big Book, that's all.

Anonymous
"Recovered" vs. "Recovering"

A topic continuously pontificated about. The confusion is based around an implied meaning. The Big Book never states we have recovered from Alcoholism or that we are recovered Alcoholics.

However, it does clearly state "we have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body".

"To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book" is referring to the process used, AKA 12 steps, to achieve a spiritual awaking as THE result of these steps

A detailed explanation of how "we have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body".

By introducing oneself as a recovered alcoholic, implies past tense, finite, having an ending. To my knowledge, this is a disease with no cure, only a solution for daily living. Therefore we can never be recovered Alcoholics, but we can be recovered. (so long as it's understood that the rest of the sentence refers only to the state of mind, not the disease)

This is a program of Action One Day at a Time. Recovering implies action, in the moment, reminding us daily that we have to be vigilant.

I've always been told this is Alcoholism Not Alcoholwasim

I have seen far too many Alcoholics die or commit suicide because they felt they were recovered Alcoholics.

clu1992
re recovery

do you want to be in recovery or recovered? the recovery line of thought comes from treatment jargon. My big book says "recovered" at least 15 times. you can be in recovery, I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body. I will stay recovered as long as I do what's required to maintain my daily reprieve.
Actually, I take back what I said about recovery, in the forward to the second edition, it talks about whats vital to "premanent" recovery!

noduis
Re: Drunk in a hole

"I like your story. But once an alcoholic you are always an alcoholic that is recovering. The only way to totally be recovered is to be dead."
Totally false. Apparently you haven't read the Big Book, which says we are never cured but can recover.
Page XIII: "We of Alcoholics Anonymous are more than one hundred men and women who have RECOVERED from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body."
Page XXV: "This man and over one hundred others appear to have RECOVERED."
The word is used on ten more pages in the first eleven chapters, I'll let you decide whether you want to find them or not.
There is no cure for the common cold. I have RECOVERED from more colds than I can count, but if I do certain things I can probably avoid catching another.

johnnys
Drunk in the hole

This story tells it all, newcomers as well as old timers should read this message.

pcm54
Thanks!

Terrific tale. Thank you.

Post new comment