Heard At Meetings

808 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
The Door to AA swings both

The Door to AA swings both ways!!

Anonymous
you know

you know, it's not what you don't know that will kill you in AA. It's what you know for sure, that just isn't so!

AD010416
Chips and Length of Sobriety

Many people don't like to see people celebrate lengths of sobriety simply because it reminds them that they never seem to acquire any length of sobriety.
For those who resent any observance of anniversaries:
Founders Day in Akron every June;
Bill W.'s annual birthday dinner held until he died;
This, from AA history Lovers "Original message from xxxxxxxxx
It was recently reported at the Old Timers Panel during the Kentucky State Convention that the years sobriety will be bumped to 50 to be selected to speak at the Atlanta AA International. Our delegate confirmed that it has been "board approved."

Anonymous
Chips and Lengths?

ADO10416; None of these things have anything to do with
making a spectacle of a newcomer, or allowing a newcomer
to make a spectacle of him/herself. How can we best help
the suffering alcoholic approaching us? Because I was
allowed to just blend in as an equal, I believe it to
be the best way. It worked for me. And I believe that
EGO deflation at great depth is necessary for recovery.
Telling a newcomer she/he is the most important person
in the room is hardly deflating. We all know that the
new person is the most important person in the room (besides me). But it is harmful to tell that to the newcomer. Think about it. And get that membership
numbers info from GSO, please. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Chips and Marking time

"Many people don't like to see people celebrate lengths of sobriety simply because it reminds them that they never seem to acquire any length of sobriety.

I don't congratulate people for staying sober X amount of time. At the beginning of every meeting I hear "Probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism and God could and would if sought" so I don't congratulate the person marking time. If I'm put on the spot to say something about someones anniversary, I sometimes look up and congratulate their Higher Power for keeping them sober. Otherwise I thank them sincerely for joining us. Also, because of the progression of recovery a person has done more in staying sober his 30th day than his 30th year. Chairs are full of people counting time instead of making time count. Story after story after story in the Big Book or from the podium tell us that sobriety does not cause more sobriety. Only a program of recovery causes more sobriety.

Enjoying the gift of sobriety since 1979 if it matters to anybody and still haven't been awarded a PHD in being un-drunken.

AD010416
Re:Chips and Marking time

Old joke:
Every day a gent out for his walk passed an empty lot that was overgrown with weeds and full trash. One day he decided to take a plastic bag with him and pick up some of the trash. Then he brought his wheelbarrow for the tires and other heave junk Soon he had the place clean and began cleaning out the weeds and planting shrubs and flowers. By mid summer he had turned an eyesore into a small park. One day a minister passed by while he was working and said, "Sir, you and God have surely transformed this patch of ground. The old gent replied, yep, but you should have seen it when God was doing it by Himself."
Of course I couldn't have gotten sober without a Higher Power. But until I did a lot of work He couldn't help me, either.
In my forty+ years of sobriety I've seen many who stay sober without doing anything but sit in meetings and complain about chips, prayers, readings, etc. etc. etc. to all who will listen.

Anonymous
Old Joke?

Jim: Have you really seen many sit in meetings and complain
about chips, prayers, readings, etc. etc. etc? I don't ever
recall hearing those complaints at meetings I attend. And I go to a meeting almost every day.
I am convinced that members who are bothered by these
things do not return. If our fellowship is not attractive
to them, they do not and will not stay. If they are court
ordered they will serve their time. There are some who
will choose prison time over reading and praying with
us. Pray on your own time in a place of worship or a
place of your own choice. An A.A. meeting is not the
place to pray. We are a fellowship, not a prayer group.
Do we still agree that chanting is stupid and must be
eliminated? Do you agree that the alcoholic and addict
fellowships must be separated? Do you ever hear these things discussed at meetings? Are you still able to get
out to meetings? ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Only in A.A

Only in A.A can you find people to clap and cheer one on for surviving and making it out of a burning building that they themselves burnt down !!!!!!

Anonymous
RE: Only in A.A.

We stop being a drain on society by changing our behavior,
and expect praise and applause for doing so. We have lost
all humility. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Item for At Wits End

A drunk on the street asks a fellow for $10 'til payday. He responded "When's payday?" Then the drunk says " I don't know, you're the one who's working."

Anonymous
Item for wit's end!

Brilliant story--- the alcoholic knew which of the 2 were working!

Anonymous
item for wit's end!

...MOVE A MUSCLE...CHANGE A MOOD!!!

Anonymous
EXCELLENT!

Finally, a funny submission!

webeditor
Your Joke Submission

Grapevine may publish this in the magazine but before we can, can the person who sent it in contact us at webeditor@aagrapevine.org

Thanks you.

Anonymous
Item for At Wits End

A drunk was brought before the Judge, who said "You've been brought before me for drinking." "Okay, says the drunk, let's get started."

webeditor
Your Joke Submission

Grapevine may publish this in the magazine but before we can, can the person who sent it in contact us at webeditor@aagrapevine.org

Thanks you.

Anonymous
Item for At Wits End

A couple was sitting at a table at his High School reunion. He kept staring at a drunken lady sitting at a nearby table. His wife asks "Do you know her?" Yes, he replied, she was my old girlfriend and she took up drinking right after we broke up and hasn't been sober since. "My God" says the wife, "Who would think that a person could go on celebrating that long."

webeditor
Your Joke Submission

Thanks you.

Anonymous
Birthday Chips in AA

Just a suggestion....the personal story in the Big Book called, "A Drunk Like You" talks about a man and his experience with sobriety, the Steps and a "token" in his pocket. I like it, you might as well. Mary Anne B.

Anonymous
RE: Birthday Chips in AA

Showing is better than telling any day yet superstition works well also ask any sponsor rather than ?

mroger
Re birthday chips

http://www.barefootsworld.net/aachips.html
You may find this interesting.

Anonymous
working steps off the wall

If you work the steps off the wall, you have an off the wall program!

Anonymous
Growth at Four Months

Meeting this week. Guy with 4 months of sobriety.
"I was going out the door this morning to have a smoke. Two guys were coming in. One lived at the Sally (Salvation Army) and the other was homeless." ....

How many of us would feel sorry for ourselves and say "I'm homeless AND living at the Salvation Army".
Alcohol has taken a great deal from my friend but but he wasn't homeless. He has a home that is safe, clean, warm and alcohol free and he's grateful for it. I hope some of his attitude rubs off on me. At only 33 years, I need more of what he has.

Anonymous
Closing remark

"I hope you've enjoyed listening, as much as I've enjoyed talking".
Bruce R.

Anonymous
Bottoms

Heard at a meeting:

AA is like a box of diapers. It covers bottoms, high or low (with huggies, pampers, pull-ups, and luvs).

Anonymous
Having a drink

A 4th year chip was given to a member today who said that if he wasn't an alcoholic he would be drinking today!

anonymous
Re: Having a drink

Sobriety chips are not A.A. they are made by outside enterprises. I don't think sobriety chips should be handed out in A.A. meetings. I have seen bulk orders available the internet from treatment centers. A.A. is not fellowship for treatment centers to make money, it is a fellowship for alcoholics. If people want sobriety chips they can get them from the outside enterprises that sell them. "Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions." (Tradition Seven) Sobriety chips are outside contributions which profit nobody but the outside enterprises that make them. I don't think sobriety chips keep alcoholics sober. "An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose." (Tradition Six)I think A.A. is being diverted from its primary purpose by outside enterprises and their interference in our affairs.

Anonymous
re:Sobriety chips /Having a drink?

Fascinating rationalization here. With this thinking meetings should never serve coffee. My group advertises for national branded coffee by having the can next to the coffee maker. And more dastardly we give home group members a coffee cup once attending for a full year. By the way - who is being endorsed, financed or branding the AA name for their profit and prestige? I think it is you who has diverted from tradition 5.

Anonymous
AA chips

I disagree with your opinion of giving out chips! My groups do purchase our chips, we have never had any donated.I personally
Keep my chip in my pocket to remind me of where i've been, and how I got where I am today.It is a token from my AA friends whom without thier support & the help from my higher power, I may have already died from this terrble disease. I use this token the same way people used to use a worry stone. To each his own: LIVE AND LET LIVE!

Sincerely Mike J.- Christopher,Il.

Anonymous
aa chips

well said brother

Anonymous
Taking Tradition Six & Seven too literally...

If that was the case, then how about the coffee that each group purchases from companies that produce Folgers, Maxwell House, etc.??? They are 'outside enterprises'. What about your comment/opinion "I don't think sobriety chips keep alcoholics sober". It is simply a tangible 'reminder' of their daily commitment to stay sober. We jokingly say at our homegroup "If you feel like drinking, put the chip in your mouth and when it melts, you can then take a drink". Many DO believe chips help the newcomer, especially. However, the Big Book says there will be a time in every alcoholic's life where the only thing standing between him and a drink is his relationship with his Higher Power". I TOTALLY agree with this! NOTHING keeps us sober but our Higher Power...No CHIP, No Sponsor, No conditional sobriety factors such as spouses, employers, court-mandated attendance at meetings, etc. Sounds like there's a bit of a 'resentment' towards a business making a profit off the chips. The ARE a business...they DO produce a product that many groups feel provide a value to sobriety...so where's the problem???

Anonymous
You r so right!!

You r so right!!

mginsberg
Having a chip or not having a chip

Having a chip or not having a chip is not going to be the thing that tears AA apart. Persistent, fear-based snarking and harping on non-issues such as whether we give out chips will be AA's undoing. Let us guard our fellowship with a broom rather a sword.

Anonymous
mainsberq

Broom or sword? Neither! We need a magnifying glass,
and a concerned heart. Rose

Anonymous
Having a drink

An all this time I thought they where for luck..well..Iam still keeping mine just for that reason..M.M.

Davecan
chips

There was a similar article posted a few months back and it received a host of negative responses. I believe this one would too if more people found it. There are meetings that do not give out chips. Perhaps you could start one in your area and advertise it as such. Good luck.

shark
chips

i hope i never forget how proud i felt after 30 years of trying to get my 30, 60, and 90 day chips. how i looked forward to getting 9 nine months and then a year!

Anonymous
CHIPS

A LOT OF THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN AA GETTING CHIPS IS ONE WAY TOO SHOW THE NEW PERSON IT WORKS ONE DAY AT A TIME IF YOU DONT AGREE DON GET YOUR CHIP

Anonymous
Chips

Hear Hear - I am a newcomer and I absolutely LOVE the chips.

Anonymous
RE: Chips / Sponsors

When already here a day at a time they are both superstitious in nature according to the 3 pertinent ideas of A.A. and not some voluntary sponsors opinion.

Anonymous
RE:CHIPS

Superstition works for a while as people get chips over and over and over rather have something more tangible than a chip on the shoulder to hold.

Anonymous
a AA member walked into a pub

a AA member walked into a pub and orderd a Beer the barman put the beer in front of him he went into his wallet to pay and pulled out his chip paid for the beer and left with out touching it i have one in my wallet all the tiime

Anonymous
Coffee, cups and toilet paper

Coffee, cups and toilet paper are made by outside resources, but my group has come to regaurd these things as being indespensible!!!

Anonymous
Chips, Coins

Coffee, cups and toilet paper are necessary items. Coins
and chips are not. In the 1970's groups I attended did not
give out sobriety coins. Annual anniversaries were
celebrated with a birthday cake, usually baked by a member
of the group. I think the chip system started around 1990
in my my area.
In the long haul I think coins and chips do more harm than good. Too many who proudly accept chips for a certain
period of sobriety,stumble and when they relapse they are too ashamed to return. The custom of giving out chips
and coins at every meeting is distracting and time
consuming. The time would be best spent sharing and
LISTENING. The fully informed true group conscience ought
to decide, not just a few "leaders". ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
CHIPS, COINS ETC

I did not get sober with any type of chip or coin in the country Mid-West town where I"m from. I doubt the first 100 men and women had them either. This is just my opinion. Have you ever been to a NA meeting? " Clean Time " where members pick up trinkets for not " using " is quite a rukus. This whole ritual of coins is NA influence on AA. I suspect people who could not get clean in NA came to AA to get clean and sober and brought their " look at me " rituals with them. My sobriety had everything to do with the 12 steps and absolutely nothing to do with trinkets chips and coins. What a waste of time and money. Those things cost anywhere from 40 cents to 2 dollars or more. Not all members think it's money spent wisely. ANON

AD010416
Re: Chips, Coins

"In the 1970's groups I attended did not
give out sobriety coins. Annual anniversaries were
celebrated with a birthday cake, usually baked by a member
of the group. I think the chip system started around 1990
in my my area."
I received my first chip, a white plastic chip with "30 Days" printed on it, at a meeting on the West Coast in 1971. Three months later on the East Coast I received a red plastic chip for ninety days.
"In the long haul I think coins and chips do more harm than good."
What does more harm are those "AA Experts" who constantly find something to complain about, such as chips, tokens, prayers, readings etc.

Anonymous
received my first coin in

received my first coin in 1970 from the original men's group.
This was before the new house. Oh the old storied they remind me of. Would not trade any of my old coins for the world. These4 coins also represented different positions in our group.

Anonymous
I'm sure chips don't make or

I'm sure chips don't make or keep a drunk sober, (Unless they're magic!), but for a newbie that feels like they've never fit in anywhere; that nobody has nor ever will want them around; that for some reason God made them not to fit into this world... I believe chips are quite valuable! I know when I got my first couple of chips I felt as though I was finally part of something. People smiled and clapped and hugged me and it felt real. It gave me something to believe in; a reason not to give up on me. A reason to try some new things like "Keep coming back!" and "The Steps!". The origin of this chip tradition starts with Sister Ignatia that worked side by side with Dr. Bob selflessly giving her blood, sweat and tears to assisting the recovery of hopeless alcoholics. Seems like nowadays people always have quick opinions about how things SHOULD be instead of just allowing life to gently move along as it always has. Reading history about ALL of the founders and the traditions each may have started from their hearts may just knock our high and mighty opinoins down to ground level... Right where they need to be anyway. :^)

Anonymous
Origin of chips?

Did Sister Ignatia give out chips to those alcoholics
she and Dr. Bob saved from death? I don't remember reading
anywhere that she had anything to do with the chip system.
Dr Bob was the one who said "don't applaud me; Don't
applaud any alcoholic. It is too bad that today's A.A. members
have not a glimpse of that degree of humility. We want
praise and applause for stopping our destruction of
the lives of people who love us. That is the epitome
of selfishness. Any documented information of the chip
system being connected to Sister Ignatia will be considered. At this point I consider it nonsense. ANONYMOUS

AD010416
Re: Origin of chips?

"Any documented information of the chip
system being connected to Sister Ignatia will be considered."
Although Sister Ignatia did not in fact give out chips, may consider her practice of giving "her newly released patients
a Sacred Heart medallion, which she asked them to return before they took the first drink." (Page 195, "Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers")
"At this point I consider it nonsense."
Coincidentally, some might think the complaints posted under the name 'Anonymous' are nonsense, meant only to stir up controversy.

Post new comment