Heard At Meetings

822 replies [Last post]
shark
chips

i hope i never forget how proud i felt after 30 years of trying to get my 30, 60, and 90 day chips. how i looked forward to getting 9 nine months and then a year!

Anonymous
CHIPS

A LOT OF THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN AA GETTING CHIPS IS ONE WAY TOO SHOW THE NEW PERSON IT WORKS ONE DAY AT A TIME IF YOU DONT AGREE DON GET YOUR CHIP

Anonymous
Chips

Hear Hear - I am a newcomer and I absolutely LOVE the chips.

Anonymous
RE: Chips / Sponsors

When already here a day at a time they are both superstitious in nature according to the 3 pertinent ideas of A.A. and not some voluntary sponsors opinion.

Anonymous
RE:CHIPS

Superstition works for a while as people get chips over and over and over rather have something more tangible than a chip on the shoulder to hold.

Anonymous
a AA member walked into a pub

a AA member walked into a pub and orderd a Beer the barman put the beer in front of him he went into his wallet to pay and pulled out his chip paid for the beer and left with out touching it i have one in my wallet all the tiime

Anonymous
Coffee, cups and toilet paper

Coffee, cups and toilet paper are made by outside resources, but my group has come to regaurd these things as being indespensible!!!

Anonymous
Chips, Coins

Coffee, cups and toilet paper are necessary items. Coins
and chips are not. In the 1970's groups I attended did not
give out sobriety coins. Annual anniversaries were
celebrated with a birthday cake, usually baked by a member
of the group. I think the chip system started around 1990
in my my area.
In the long haul I think coins and chips do more harm than good. Too many who proudly accept chips for a certain
period of sobriety,stumble and when they relapse they are too ashamed to return. The custom of giving out chips
and coins at every meeting is distracting and time
consuming. The time would be best spent sharing and
LISTENING. The fully informed true group conscience ought
to decide, not just a few "leaders". ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
CHIPS, COINS ETC

I did not get sober with any type of chip or coin in the country Mid-West town where I"m from. I doubt the first 100 men and women had them either. This is just my opinion. Have you ever been to a NA meeting? " Clean Time " where members pick up trinkets for not " using " is quite a rukus. This whole ritual of coins is NA influence on AA. I suspect people who could not get clean in NA came to AA to get clean and sober and brought their " look at me " rituals with them. My sobriety had everything to do with the 12 steps and absolutely nothing to do with trinkets chips and coins. What a waste of time and money. Those things cost anywhere from 40 cents to 2 dollars or more. Not all members think it's money spent wisely. ANON

AD010416
Re: Chips, Coins

"In the 1970's groups I attended did not
give out sobriety coins. Annual anniversaries were
celebrated with a birthday cake, usually baked by a member
of the group. I think the chip system started around 1990
in my my area."
I received my first chip, a white plastic chip with "30 Days" printed on it, at a meeting on the West Coast in 1971. Three months later on the East Coast I received a red plastic chip for ninety days.
"In the long haul I think coins and chips do more harm than good."
What does more harm are those "AA Experts" who constantly find something to complain about, such as chips, tokens, prayers, readings etc.

Anonymous
received my first coin in

received my first coin in 1970 from the original men's group.
This was before the new house. Oh the old storied they remind me of. Would not trade any of my old coins for the world. These4 coins also represented different positions in our group.

Anonymous
I'm sure chips don't make or

I'm sure chips don't make or keep a drunk sober, (Unless they're magic!), but for a newbie that feels like they've never fit in anywhere; that nobody has nor ever will want them around; that for some reason God made them not to fit into this world... I believe chips are quite valuable! I know when I got my first couple of chips I felt as though I was finally part of something. People smiled and clapped and hugged me and it felt real. It gave me something to believe in; a reason not to give up on me. A reason to try some new things like "Keep coming back!" and "The Steps!". The origin of this chip tradition starts with Sister Ignatia that worked side by side with Dr. Bob selflessly giving her blood, sweat and tears to assisting the recovery of hopeless alcoholics. Seems like nowadays people always have quick opinions about how things SHOULD be instead of just allowing life to gently move along as it always has. Reading history about ALL of the founders and the traditions each may have started from their hearts may just knock our high and mighty opinoins down to ground level... Right where they need to be anyway. :^)

Anonymous
Origin of chips?

Did Sister Ignatia give out chips to those alcoholics
she and Dr. Bob saved from death? I don't remember reading
anywhere that she had anything to do with the chip system.
Dr Bob was the one who said "don't applaud me; Don't
applaud any alcoholic. It is too bad that today's A.A. members
have not a glimpse of that degree of humility. We want
praise and applause for stopping our destruction of
the lives of people who love us. That is the epitome
of selfishness. Any documented information of the chip
system being connected to Sister Ignatia will be considered. At this point I consider it nonsense. ANONYMOUS

AD010416
Re: Origin of chips?

"Any documented information of the chip
system being connected to Sister Ignatia will be considered."
Although Sister Ignatia did not in fact give out chips, may consider her practice of giving "her newly released patients
a Sacred Heart medallion, which she asked them to return before they took the first drink." (Page 195, "Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers")
"At this point I consider it nonsense."
Coincidentally, some might think the complaints posted under the name 'Anonymous' are nonsense, meant only to stir up controversy.

Anonymous
Jim

The Sacred Heart Medallions were given out for encourgement, not for reward or acknowledgement. I do consider the read, white and blue pieces of plastic to
be nonsense. Manny Q

Anonymous
ADO10416

Sister Ignatia gave each of her newly released patients a Sacred Heart medallion, which she asked them to return before they took that first drink. She would occasionally give out St. Christopher medals as well, but she would tell the recipient not to drive too fast. "He gets out after 50 miles an hour", she warned. Copied from Dr. Bob and the
Good Oldtimers. I stand corrected. Thanks for the exact location. Great reading, those history books. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
origin of chips?

Thank you I needed that reminder...humilty..

Anonymous
Helping the family

An in-law call me said he might have a drinking problem and scared to drink on the holidays, I told him to take a cab, on the way home a sobriety check was in front of him and they flagged the taxi cab through, the next morning my in-law came to and wondered where the taxi cab came from !

Anonymous
Holidays vs Alcohol

Holidays don't get you drunk Alcohol does !!

Anonymous
holiday Vs Alcohol

an untreated alcohlic mind is what got me drunk.

kujhawk
What to say...

At a recent meeting, a speaker was talking about going to holiday parties where the host or hostess doesn't know they are in AA and kept trying to push drinks on them. The speaker simply says, "No thank you. I've had enough to drink."

Genius in its simplicity.

Anonymous
What to say...

Ive nothing to say ..but ,,great idea thank you.M.M...nice little pearl..

Anonymous
SLIP

SLIP
Sobriety Lost It's Importance

Anonymous
SLIP

Under every skirt there is a slip.

Anonymous
SLIP

"I've also heard it said, Sobriety Lost It's Priority!

anonymous
SLII

SLIP
Sobriety Lost It's Priority

Anonymous
HOPE

Hope I don't do sober what I did drinking - NOT KNOWING WHERE IAM AT OR WHAT TO DO, NEEDING SOMEONE TO SPONSOR ME !!!!!

Anonymous
Need help

I am in a mess so i want help

Anonymous
Need help

Move away from the computer and pick up that one
ton telephone. Don't put it down until you contact
someone. If drinking alcohol is causing you grief,
contact Alcoholics Anonymous. We can be found in
almost any phone book. Or call information. We
can't help you if you don't contact us. Don't give
up. Keep trying. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
ask & you shall receive

Don't get lost in the sauce.
love,
Mickey

Anonymous
Disease centered in the mind

When I first got sober I heard my grandsponsor share that she still goes to meetings 7 days a week. I go to 6 for my thinking and one for my drinking and I never know which one is for my drinking, so I dare not miss any meeting.

AD010416
Re:Disease centered in the mind

That grandsponsor (?) fits the description given to the gent on page 27, line 6 in the Big Book.
Eventually people get tired of hiding from booze in meetings and go find it again.
"If you have decided you want what we have and and are willing to go to any lengths to get it- ....."
Then you are ready to spend the rest of your life in meetings?

Anonymous
Disease centered in the mind

Your grandsponser has much wisdom.

Anonymous
RE: Disease centered in the mind

When all sponsors fail next time try A.A

Anonymous
Maintenance

It's Easier to Maintain a Relationship, than Repair One.

Anonymous
Maintaining a Relationship.

An argument often means that the subject of the argument has become more important than the relationship.

Anonymous
FEAR

Forgetting Everythings All Right

Anonymous
FEAR

False Evidence Appearing Real

otrocks59
heard at meetings

I never had to have glasses on my but...cause hind sight is 20/20 Ilene M las Cruces NM

Anonymous
Inventory

A woman accused me of taking her inventory when I asked her a simple question the other day...I'm too lazy to do my own inventory she's a nut case if she thinks I'm going to do hers!

Anonymous
picking flowers

heard at a meeting recently, I used to live next to a cemetry so I got free flowers when I wanted.
John B. Everett, Wa.

Anonymous
The missing link.

John said: "I was told to go to AA meetings and not take the first drink and I would get well. I have done that for the past 6 years. Here is how well I got! My wife is leaving me. My children (aged 31, 28 and 19) refuse to talk to me. My staff loathe me! Where am I going wrong?"

Simon his good friend said, "For 6 years you did not take the first drink, and attend meetings!"

John. " That is what I did."

Simon. "Here is where you went wrong in my opinion. Let me show you. There is a fruit cake here on the table. Suppose we drain all the alcohol out of it, what is left?"

John. "All that is left is the fruit cake!"

Simon. "For the past 6 years John you have drained, all the alcohol out of your system. That is excellent, well done. Do you see any link between you and the fruitcake?

John. "I did not bother with the programme of recovery. I see it now, thanks Simon!

nelsie
sponsorship and steps

Hey John, Don't work the steps, simply take them with your sponsor's help.

Anonymous
Getting even!

Whenever I want to get even, I get even worse!

Anonymous
Getting even.

The best way to get even I found through experience is to pray for the person!

Anonymous
Thirteenth Step

For those who contemplate "Thirteen Stepping" Beware of the Fourteen Step.
Making amends for Step Thirteen.

Anonymous
No step

Step 1-12 is only steps in big book, stop changing it to suit

Anonymous
Love and Tolerance from a bleeding deacon

AA, at least as reflected in my local groups and Grapevine letters, seems to have abandoned this code. Cancelation of subcription because the GRAPEVINE publishes letter from gays and agnostics cannot be viewed as tolerant. Letters encouraging profane and obscene language as being required to welcome young people are ridiculous. I have seen the word Suggested included on the wall display of the 12 step in old movies of AA meeting. Being an old agnotic, my tolerance for intolerance has been reached. I wish AA well but I decline any further identification with what AA has become.

Anonymous
Love and Tolerance

Before I stopped drinking I judged people and when I quit drinking I continued to do this. When I got SOBER I quit judging and placed the mirror in front of me. You know, I like what I see today!

Gayle F. Reno

Anonymous
Love and tolerance

I am a "right handed" person. I formed that habit through my daily life by "using my right hand!"

I become "tolerant" by practising "the habit of tolerance" in my daily life.

There is a useful saying here in Ireland, "LISTEN TO THE THUNDER. BUT AVOID THE LIGHTENING!"

Here is nice Irish one too.

"When all is said and done,
There is more said than done!
And just because a thIng is easy said, IT IS NT EASY DONE!!!"

Post new comment