Heard At Meetings

805 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
Missing meeting Monday-Friday makes one weak (week).

Heard at a meeting and so TRUE!

AD010416
Re: Missing meeting Monday-Friday makes one weak (week).

Heard at many meetings: Meeting makers make ...... meetings.

lmeichert@
F.E.A.R.

Faith Eliminates Anger and Resentment

Anonymous
F.E.A.R.

I'm a newcomer. You has just said it right!!! This acronym has hit me to the core.

Thanks,
Nelson J.
Bronx,NY

Anonymous
F.E.A.R.

False Evidence Appearing Real

woodstock9
F.E.A.R.

Face Everything And Recover.....

Anonymous
Eliminates?

"Faith eliminates anger and resentment." While I appreciate the acronyms used as a reminders in AA, I have personally never found any of them to be universally applicable or universally true. In the case of FEAR as presented here, I would personally substitute the word "enervate" for eliminate. I have yet to meet a person in or out of AA who has become complete master of his/her anger and resentments (or any other of their character defects, for that matter).
Enervate: 1) to lessen the vitality or strength of; 2) to reduce the mental or moral vigor of.

lmeichert@
enervate instead of eliminate

I had to look up enervate, but you are so right. In the dictionary I used to look up enervate, the meaning was to lessen the strength or vigor of; weaken in mind or body. Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe acronyms are "just reminders" for a lot us, but I happen to be one of the people they help.

Anonymous
enervate

I dont think the writer is against acronyms. They r just expressing that if fear cant be completely eliminated, we can still have faith it can be lessened. I loved the acronym with "eliminate" in it......I even wrote it down as a reminder! However, "enervate" speaks closer to my experience

Anonymous
Anonymous SHARE

Speak Honestly about real events,emotions, experience.

lmeichert@
s.h.a.r.e.

speak Honestly About Real Emotions Experiences, Events

Anonymous
S. H. A. R. E

I agree with the sentence SPEAK HONESTLY ABOUT REAL EMOTIONS, EXPERIENCES AND EVENTS.

But please tell me how the the AA principles helped you deal with these issues!

Anonymous
FEAR

Faith Eliminates All Resentments

Anonymous

Anonymous
Action on the programme

Don's stare up the steps!

Step up the stairs!

Anonymous
heard @ a meeting

there's no problem so bad that alcohol cant make it worse,
P.M.S- Poor Me Syndrome
T.H.I.N.K before you speak, is what you're going to say
Thoughtful? Helpful? Intelligent? Necessary? Kind?

lmeichert@
F E A R

Faith Eliminates Anger and Resentments

Anonymous
there's no problem so bad

there's no problem so bad that alcohol cant make it worse,
P.M.S- Poor Me Syndrome
T.H.I.N.K before you speak, is what you're going to say
Thoughtful? Helpful? Intelligent? Necessary? Kind?

jslavens7
Excellent

Excellent

Anonymous
heard at meeting

If you take the alcohol away from the alcoholic, all thats left is the ic!

m.leahy
heard at meeting

If you take alcohol away from the alcoholic, all that's left is serenity.

Anonymous
This is good, I heard it recently from Ireland.

"...it is not what you see...it is what you think when you look!..."

Anonymous
members

right time right place right age..i know a/a is the place i belong.as people are starting to get on my wick

Anonymous
Things I heard in a meeting

Having a resentment is like wearing a dark suit and wetting your pants. Your the only one that knows.

My mouth fires before my brain is loaded

Anonymous
Heard At Meetings

Primary Purpose, I've heard it said and I believe it to be true, "AA is like an all-purpose wrench, it adjusts to fit every nut that walks in the doors. I can't say that I'm perfect at welcoming newcomers 100% of the time. Step 6 asks me to ask God for the willingness to let go of my self-centeredness (which I label as "objectionable"), and I usually remember to ask God for help; but as I already pointed out, I am not perfect yet. I still have character defects that get in the way of my usefulness to my Creator and my fellows. At times when I'm more spiritually fit I do what my sponsor suggests (she has 35 years of sobriety and I only have 15 yrs, so I listen) and that is to "be the change that I want to see in others." One of the other things my sponsor points out as the way to be most effective at being the change I want to see, is by following the instructions on page 18 & 19 of the Big Book: "But the ex-problem drinker who has found this solution, who is properly armed with facts about himself, can generally win the entire confidence of another alcoholic in a few hours (sometimes within the time frame of a meeting)...That the man making the approach has had the same difficulty, that he obviously knows what he is talking about, that his whole deportment shouts at the new prospect that he is a man with a real answer, that he has no attitude of Holier Than Thou, nothing whatever except the sincere desire to be helpful; that there are no...people to please, no axes to grind, no lectures to be endured--these are the conditions we have found most effective." If I had been "welcomed", I'm not sure I would have stayed. I came five minutes late and left 5 minutes early (so I didn't have to talk to anyone). My sponsor came with me to one of my regular meetings to make sure I took a 6 month chip! Up to that point I had not raised my hand as a newcomer, I did not take a 30 day chip nor any of the others. I got to know other AA women and had 3 close AA buddies and they did all my talking at meetings for me! It was great! I must say though that taking that 6 month chip and sharing briefly (I thanked God, I thanked my sponsor and I thanked AA) was the beginning of my emotional sobriety. I believe we get what we need in the rooms of AA, maybe not what we want and I trust that my HP can and is holding the newcomer in the palm of His hand, just like I was held, though I didn't know it at the time. I do my best to be sensitive to the needs of others and I find that many times my HP uses me in spite of myself and my shortcomings; so as warped as I am, I still try to be the change I want to see in others.
Lydia V.

Anonymous
Heard At Meetings

Bill W wrote that sometimes the good can be the enemy of the best. He also wrote that sometimes the seeming temporary good can be the deadly enemy of the permanent best. When it comes to AA only the very best will do. Bring your message to those groups and see what happens. "kill the messenger" comes to mind. Start at the group conscience. If there is no such thing as a group conscience meeting, call one. If no one is interested in that, just start voicing your concerns when you share. No, it will not be easy. I have always thought, let someone else do it. Today, I am that "someone else". ANONYMOUS

TCTaco
EGO

EGO = Edging God (of your understanding) Out

It is hard for me to do my Higher Power's will for me each day. Those thoughts from my ego creep in. The 11th step helps me with this problem. I also tell my sponsor about these thoughts, and he reassures me that I am doing the right thing. This usually involves not making any big changes or trying to change the way things are going to how I think that they should go.

clu1992
the right track

I just heard at a meeting saturday that you may be on the right track, but if you sit too long on the right track you will get run over by the train!

Anonymous
The Present Moment

"How are you?" I said. He replied, "Oh, I'm getting there!"

So, jokingly I said, "But you can never get there!"

"Why not?" he asked.

"You can never get there because you are always here!" We had a good laugh about it.

Anonymous
The Present Moment

You can never get there because you are alwaya here -he turns an sayes But here is ware its @

Anonymous
Expectations

"Expectations are resentments under marching orders"-Anonymous.

anonymous
Big Book Joke!

"We avoid retaliation or argument." (page 67)

TCTaco
Who Is AA For?

AA is not for those that WANT IT. AA is not for those that NEED IT.
AA if for those that DO IT!

Anonymous
Who is AA for?

Alcoholics Anonymous is very much for those who need it.
How many of us really wanted AA when we first came? Most
come in looking for a reason not to stay or come back.
We give them plenty of reasons in today's A.A. Most have
to do with the demands we make of them, such as DO IT!
ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
Who is AA for

Thank you Anonymous, I agree that people do look for a reason to leave... another reason that the word "honest" was dropped from the preamble... the only requirement for membership is an "honest" desire to stop drinking.

Some have an honest desire to get the law off their back, or family to leave them alone et al.

AA is a program of suggestions.

Anonymous
RE: Who is A.A. for?

A.A. is a program of suggestions. The Big Book, in
its entirety was meant to be suggestive only. The
Twelve steps are but suggestions. Our "problem" is that
we have changed the definition of suggestion. Very
few A.A. members know the true meaning of suggestion.
If the meaning of suggestion can be studied and
understood, we can stop pushing people (suffering
human beings) away from the very help that we have
to offer. Random House College Dictionary (Webster's):
a slight trace; the process of inducing a thought,
sensation, or action in a receptive person without
using persuasion and without giving rise to reflection in the recipient. I take this to mean that if I am talking
to a prospect, I can say: "I used to drink and it
caused me a lot of trouble. I found Alcoholics Anonymous
and have been sober three years. We have a fellowship
that has helped me". When we go any further than this
saying: If you want what I have, you will have to do what
I did, and I will show you how, are you ready, it no longer fits the description of a suggestion. Thanks for your
"Thanks". Your message means more than you will ever
know. Newcomers look for a reason to leave once they are
here. Our reputation as some kind of strange religious
cult prevents many alcoholics from approaching us in the
first place; no scientific study, just my opinion. ANONYMOUS

Anonymous
The 12 steps aren't

The 12 steps aren't suggestions they are one suggestion. In six words - Trust God, clean house, help others.

AD010416
Re: Who is AA for?

"If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps." (Big Book, page 58)
"Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery:" (Big Book, page 59"
It does not say "here are suggestions," does it?
"Suggest:
To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk." (American Heritage Dictionary)
"Suggest: To put into one's mind; to bring to one's mind by association of ideas; to imply or seem to imply; to propose.
(Webster's New Dictionary)
My experience with those who play word games in order to avoid taking the steps want what we have but are unwilling to go to any lengths to get it.

Anonymous
ADO10416

I ask you to do one simple thing. Read Page 199 in
As Bill Sees It. Read the articles referenced in
Language of the Heart. I suppose that is two things.
If Bill W. can't make you understand, I will give up
trying.(not really). I have been with others when
the light comes on. It is a wonderful thing to see.
ANONYMOUS

TCTaco
Don't Over Think It

You illustrate my point exactly. We may think that we want it. We may think that we need it. But that is not enough. Thinking never got me anywhere except to the rooms of Alcoholic Anonymous. There I learned to stop thinking and start doing the next right thing.

I do not claim to know what others need. I only know what worked for me.

Most come through the doors of AA looking for help. All I have to offer is my story, and in my story is what worked for me--how I stay sober today.

wealthysoul
Who is AA For?

AA is for those who have a desire to stop drinking. That is the only requirement for membership.

Anonymous
Ego

A big head makes a big target!

Anonymous
Fear

Fear knocked Faith answered & no one was there.

Anonymous
faith eliminates anger and resentment

faith eliminate anger and resentment

Anonymous
interesting comments

Alcoholism is a disease which can wipe the smile from a child's face!

A drunk says to three others, "Well, how are ye FESTERING lads?"

"When I arrived in AA I did not know whether I was animal, plant, or mineral!"

Anonymous
Choice

"I can remain bitter or get better!"

Anonymous
Rebel or recover

My sponsor sat repairing his alarm clock. I was ranting about my dislikes about AA. its books and programme etc. He put up the open palm of his hand like a traffic cop!

He said, "Did you come to my house to rebel or to recover?"

"IF you came to rebel then go home again. Can't you see I am busy repairing my clock!".

On the other hand if you want to recover please stay and tell me that you do want to recover!

"I want to recover!" I said.

"Very good". he said.

He put his clock into a nearby drawer and said, " Well let us begin right now. What is on your mind?"

Anonymous
what is 13 steping?

what is 13 steping?

Greg422
13th Step

The 13th step is stepping into the grave SOBER... No matter what...

Anonymous
what is 13 stepping?

Practicing your 13th step is going to meeting with the primary purpose of picking up helpless women--or men.

Anonymous
A personality without any principles!

My sponsor told me that when he came to AA he was a Personality without any principles. So then as he practised the Principles of AA and he developed a sober personality. One day at a time.

Post new comment